Whirlpool Hints ?

Smash

Bring an extra rod/reel and line. You can get spooled pretty quick by a big fish if it makes a big run and you will lose a bunch of gear with all the snags.

Drifting spoons will work for salmon, as well as roe or skein. Worms work awesome right now. You will get into some sheepshead, carp and bass. Bring some tubes for bass. In line spinners are always an option. You may need to use a split shot to get it down a bit deeper. Do the same with a kwik fish.

No sure what size rods, but a longer rod with a moderate action should work for all around fishing.

Let us know how you do!

Awesome thanks for the tips. I will def be letting u know how I make out. Going with a few buddies hopefully we have good luck I'm also wondering what size and make of hook should I use for using row. And will u say use worms for some monster carp. I have got a bunch of big carp this year but I want a 20 pounder

And what's the best kind of line u prefer for fishing salmon.

Salmon aren't known to be line shy. However, I would recomend 8-14 for salmon should be fine depending on the rod type.

Hooks you need to select based on what you are fishing with. You need an egg hook for roe, and there is a special way to tie skein to your line/hook. You Tube it and I'm sure you will find it. Use a bait holder hook for worms, size 2 should be fine. I'm not a carper, I catch them by accident (lots of fun) so you may need to wait for better tips on that.

For tubes you need a tube jig. Use natural colour tubes, greens, smoke and browns will work well.

Hi everyone!

I was fishing at Whirpool few times.

First time I've caught 2 nice brown trout. It was in December. Niagara river gave me birthday present.

But other time I caught northing. And I started thinking may be I do something wrong?

Fishing there is a little mistery for me since.

I normally stay in the middle of the pool. I guess it's deeper.

Would you mind to answer few questions for centerpin rigging in the pool.

1. What is the weight of bubber do you prefer? I have 11 & 20 gramms.

2. How much leader should I setup?

I normally have 10 lb main line, then 4 fit of 8 lb drennan fluro leader, then 18-21 inch 6 lb drennan.

Do I need to have 6 lb leader of it should be 8 lb all other?

Is that important to have softer leader there like hair frog?

3. What is the hook size to use?

I use #8 & may be #10. I used to use minnow imitators from Powerbait.

This time I'm planning to use salmon egg also.

Should I use #12 at this time of the year?

4. If I target trout. What would be best lure/roe eggs/fly for it?

5. What depths you are targeting? Close to the bottom or like 5-6 feet?

6. Is any "rule of thumb"? How far from the shore you should be casting?

Hi everyone!

I was fishing at Whirpool few times.

First time I've caught 2 nice brown trout. It was in December. Niagara river gave me birthday present.

But other time I caught northing. And I started thinking may be I do something wrong?

Fishing there is a little mistery for me since.

I normally stay in the middle of the pool. I guess it's deeper.

Would you mind to answer few questions for centerpin rigging in the pool.

1. What is the weight of bubber do you prefer? I have 11 & 20 gramms.

2. How much leader should I setup?

I normally have 10 lb main line, then 4 fit of 8 lb drennan fluro leader, then 18-21 inch 6 lb drennan.

Do I need to have 6 lb leader of it should be 8 lb all other?

Is that important to have softer leader there like hair frog?

3. What is the hook size to use?

I use #8 & may be #10. I used to use minnow imitators from Powerbait.

This time I'm planning to use salmon egg also.

Should I use #12 at this time of the year?

4. If I target trout. What would be best lure/roe eggs/fly for it?

5. What depths you are targeting? Close to the bottom or like 5-6 feet?

6. Is any "rule of thumb"? How far from the shore you should be casting?

Your fine with the 10lb main, and 8 or 6lb leader. I find experimenting with eggs or egg patterns early season....first run of fish from now until mid Nov, then the bite switches to minnow immitations. I usually run drennon slip floats with a 3 ft lead connected to my mainline. Some guys also run a shot line... Eggs, Beads, egg immitaions, streamers, all work down there.... You dont need to cast out too far....there is plenty of good fishing without casting way out. Check your depth, with a good sized bell sinker before tieing on your hook/bait to help you find the bottom with the slip float....you need to be on or close to bottom. Once you find the depth you will fish, you can rig-up for that depth so your just touching and bouncing bottom. 8/10/12 hooks are all good. Stained water, bigger presentations. If your casting out 30 or so feet in some areas is fine...other areas down there you need to be out farther. I have caught fish in as close as 10ft....so just find your spot, then try to determine the depth where you will fish. Dont forget to come back here and post your results....does not always have to be what you caught, it can be what you tried and what worked or did not work....thats what makes this a great site. If nobody shares the end results or asks questions...then whats the point. Good luck, let us know how you do.!!!

Your fine with the 10lb main, and 8 or 6lb leader. I find experimenting with eggs or egg patterns early season....first run of fish from now until mid Nov, then the bite switches to minnow immitations. I usually run drennon slip floats with a 3 ft lead connected to my mainline. Some guys also run a shot line...

Thanks a lot DaveC!

I definetely will reports what was happening there.

Im planning to be there Monday morning in the middle of the pool.

i hear there is a good muskie "drop-off" somewhere at the whirlpool. wondering if it is more to the left or to the right when you walk down the path. i know on the edge to the right of the path standing on the rocks there are some fishing spots. But I have heard from several people that some parts are better for others when fishing for whirlpool muskie

Hi guy!!

I'd like to report my trip.

I've enjoyed with Fall sceneries around the pool.

Looks like trout or rainbows aren't yet there.

There were about 15+ people in the pool.

Few guys caught black salmon. It was jumping quite far from the shore.

So if you are after them use lures.

Frankly the guy beside hooked few. But he used small hooks and they bent.

I did not set up my line "properly". So look for setup of those who is catching.

Everyone used eggs.

Just keep at it Neptun...put in the time and learn what works. Once you start catching you,ll be hooked. Good report...

Archived