Water Clarity

Snagged

So my friend and I have recently started fishing both the upper and lower niagara. I've stumble across more than a few posts in my search about what happens to the fishing and the water clarity in the river when it rains. however i can't seem to find to much about how long it takes to clear up. we were planning our next outing this Sunday. Given the fact that its been raining steady for the better part of a week it makes me wonder, if the forecast holds up and Saturday and Sunday are both supposed to be sunny, will the water have cleared up by then? Or will we be wasting our time going down to a muddy silty mess?

I'm putting this out to all of y ou who no doubt have had ,any more years of experience to draw on and may be able to help out. How long do you all think it will take to clear up after rain like this?

Thanks

S

ill let u know saturday when im done work, i work in the glen, see the water everyday. water is surprisingly clear right now, saw a couple of chromers today about 3 ft from shore giving us quite the acrobatic show for a few minutes while we were on break. definitely fishable right now, low water lvls for most of today, but who knows for the rest of the week. ill keep an update if i can.

The upper River is as well as Lake Erie has dropped a couple of feet due to the storm. The storm has pushed all the water to the North and West end of the lake, as soon as the winds diminish and turn west all that water is going to return. I have no idea what the clarity will be like when this happens but my guess is not so good, Denis out in Fort Erie posted some video of how low the water is on the upper. This is probably the reason the lower is still clear today.

The common calculation for clarity is that when the upper niagara clears up then 2 days later the lower niagara will clear up. If you have doubt on the clarity of the lower niagara river look at the web cam on most niagara falls tourism websites that aim a the falls it self. if the water looks green your good to go if it looks tinged or brown then clarity will be depleted

Rain itself has very little effect on the Niagara actually justs helps give it that pea green color thats ideal rater than having it crystal clear. Winds from the S or SW over 25km are what u need to worry about.

I was going to start a new thread on the same subject but figured might as well post here.

I've been planning on going tomorrow to either Niagara or Gibson lake for a week and been pretty excited about it, but just came back from a local lake and if I new it was going to be that muddy I would've stayed home! I couldn't even see my lure a few inches under water, it was just like a huge mudd puddle. :o The part of the lake is rather shallow so I'm hoping Gibson and Niagara are not like that. Anyone been to either place last few days? Is it worth for me going there from Hamilton?

Archived