Short Hills Deer Hunt

smerchly

The biggest enemy of your local environment is the 5 acre lot. But having said that. the deer population have been been steadily increasing . We created a great environment for them and they have changed their diet to include farm crops. They are flourishing.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude.....I was just thinking the same thing about 2 hrs. ago ! The deer are constantly being squeezed out into smaller quarters every day . My closest bud lives a few miles west of these people & has been there for 30 yrs. In the past 5 yrs. many new houses have gone up where the deer roamed along Roland/Maple roads . These houses started at $600,000 & mostly city business owners bought them Now they want street lights & sidewalks .....just like they had in the city ! ( city living in the country) , and they are the first to complain when the manure flies or bird bangers start up. Do we not pay for the services of the MNR , etc . to do what is necessary to preserve our resources , or has Harper changed all that ? If the deer are destroying the parks natural vegetation someone has to make the right decision how to protect the park .

Exactly Smerch in 1980-1982 I was employed by the MNR to take care of the Short Hills reserve at that time, the MNR was going to make the park a piece of natural carolina forest, like a preserve of the unique southern ontario habitat. At the time my job was ripping out old grape vinyards, houses and such to start the rejuvination process, I mean I learned alot about the area, I can remember seeing 8' black rat snakes on the hogs back, speckle trout off holland road, lots of orials, tulip trees, sassafrass trees, lots of things indigeous to the area. Not many people used the park at the time and yes there were deer around, and our first plantings of white pine and black walnut worked out great, I mean you can see the results off effingham, rolland, holland rds, the trees I planted back then are 30' tall today. The park is legislated to save and preserve Niagara Fauna, NOT NIAGARA DEER, it's there so the $500,000 tilley hats won't turn it into there back yard, they all ready destroyed what was left of the habitat. Now they want to manage the one chunk of property left, not for the good of park or the good of the earth but for the good of themselves. There greedy two faced ignorant rich people who are the basic cause of the problem, they do not understand the whole picture, the rehabilation of niagaras unique fauna. I mean I walk through St Johns and see a 80yr old tullip tree and it blows my mind, or a sassafrass tree most people thinks it's just a tree but it really is extreamilly unique to this area and even more to Canada

Most folks dont know anything about Nature and anything about what an over population of any animal can do to a habitat. Rich or poor most people are uneducated and are quick to jump the gun and fight for something they know nothing about .In this case they figure the more deer the better and how could hunters kill a innocent creature , blah blah blah. We can go on all day about it these things will never change.Anti hunters will always be anti hunters and they will teach there children the same. Only people who grew up around hunting or have been taught thing or too about how nature and hunting works will understand, Its like talking to a brick wall for those who just dont understand it.

Canadadude .... Please keep up the EDUCATION sharing.

Your knowledge based on first hand experience in the area is second to none.

Pike ... 100%

It's not only "hunting" (Fishing etc) ... I would say that 99% of the Modern City Dweller doesnt have ANY IDEA of the FOOD Cycle what so ever! That includes animal & plant production.

THE FUTURE: (seriously...)

SOYLENT GREEN

It's ok to be anti hunter if you never eat meat or wear leather shoes , etc. And the anti's can also pay to fence off all the roads, or eliminate cars (lots of deer collisions there) ......They can pay for neutering programs to keep the herd in check or buy feed for the animals when all the natural food has been eaten . We are a country with abundant natural resources . It's too bad we have to sell them off to giant economies like China in order to survive in the global climate . We have machines that could turn Short Hills into a golf course in no time .

Dude.....you must remember that little house near the Hogs Back .......I would have liked to live there . It seemed such a waste to see it empty for years .....nice lilac and goose berry pushes there . I heard the MNR owned that house....after it was demolished.

I have been watching this on the news(CHCH) and in the local papers and I wanted to clarify some facts posted here.

The MNR did not invite the natives to hunt. The native requested the hunt under their treaty rights.

The hunt will be a bow hunt.

I believe they have back tracked on this issue Chris ......I also read in today's Standard that the natives have been looking at this area for some time & determined it needs culling . The government now says , because the natives have treaty rights to hunt for food & also ceremonial rights to hunt in parks , they have an obligation to allow them their treaty rights . That is how our government shifts the whole thing on the natives so that the public will blame the natives for the cull . In the meantime , protesters may cause enough turmoil to create a "dangerous situation" , and have the police shut down the hunt . I think maybe the government(s) have ulterior motives to step aside & let them hunt since there are other much larger problems with the "Idle No More" movement ? Are they trying to score brownie points with the natives ......or trying to gain public support against the natives.....that is the question .

Maybe BOTH? .... (Sun Tzu - the Art of War)

Very interesting link Blair . I think the Chinese are way ahead of us in their thinking . It's like a game of chess where you must think ahead a few moves .....or more . You can be sure our government boys sit in their board rooms with consultants , shrinks , cops and high priced lawyers before making a move . In this case they are trying to cover all the bases and have already planned for the different scenarios that may happen . My Sun Tzu tells me the hunt won't occur..............

maybe :read:

Could you imagine the uproar if they designated and area to a all white fishing or hunting area. Im all for the deer hunt in shorthills, but native only is not right. I agree should be a lottery of all ethnic backgrounds to enjoy.

I havnt been down to short hills in sometime , I wonder how the coyote population is , i could imagine thriving since no goes in there and hunts them. I think the natives should think about taking out a few of them aswell. I know Niagara on the Lake #s are way down , thanks to the group of coyote hunters who invade it every saturday , thank god for them !

My problem is the fact that non-native hunters are not allowed to participate. I pay taxes, spend hordes of money on licenses and have unfilled tags on my dresser. Yet these natives can go into the park and hunt. Why not do it with us non natives as well and there would have the numbers to actually make an impact.

I know for a fact that natives went into the park and shot 24 deer with high-powered rifles last year I know people who hunt near the park and let bucks go to mature and then they can get gunned down by the natives. I hope they are only allowed to shoot does as that has the most effect.

The MNR should also sell the extra doe tags for $5 or $10 if they want us to help with their deer problem. That is how it is done in the US in many states.

My problem is the fact that non-native hunters are not allowed to participate. I pay taxes, spend hordes of money on licenses and have unfilled tags on my dresser. Yet these natives can go into the park and hunt. Why not do it with us non natives as well and there would have the numbers to actually make an impact.

I know for a fact that natives went into the park and shot 24 deer with high-powered rifles last year I know people who hunt near the park and let bucks go to mature and then they can get gunned down by the natives. I hope they are only allowed to shoot does as that has the most effect.

The MNR should also sell the extra doe tags for $5 or $10 if they want us to help with their deer problem. That is how it is done in the US in many states.

I dont know if you know but the country we live in " Canada" comes from the Native word "kanata" just like most citys and towns Named by the Natives and are native words. They were the first ones here and they will always have there rights over anyone.Thats why they have special hunts and we dont. The fact that you pay taxes and spend money on tags is not irrelevant , We all pay taxes and spend money on tags, well get used to it because both those "T" words go up in price every year. Link below >

http://www.aadnc-aan...2/1100100016303

Isn't there room for both ? That would help mend relations between the natives and us regular folks . There are plenty of deer to share there . We have heard about illegal hunting in the Short Hills and Gibson areas over the years . Cross bows make it easier to hunt illegally since there's no noise (shots) . Many of the poachers disrespect the laws because of issues on this thread as they believe they are being discriminated by our government , hence , no license or tags . This park is not a reserve , so there should be some allowance for locals to be included in this cull .

I call it a cull (thinning of the herd) because it was mentioned there is an "over abundance" of deer in the park which is detrimental to the plant life there . The natives approached the MNR and said there are too many deer and they should be "thinned out" . I would call that a cull when the main idea of the hunt is to reduce the number of deer in a park (or Navy Is.) . It will be interesting , if the hunt occurs , if the public (you and I) will know the number of deer taken .

Archived