Beautiful Muskie Caught (58Lbs - St. Lawrence)

blairwelsh

Saw this story and thought I would share.

Friggin Beasty!

http://www.muskyhunter.com/general/pound-musky-weighed-released-on-st-lawrence-river/

0055.jpg

58-Pound Musky Weighed & Released On The St. Lawrence River

Ed Barbosa of Meaford, Ontario, is no stranger to giant muskies being a regular customer of guide Mike Lazarus. At last light on December 10, he did it again.

Fishing with Lazarus on the St. Lawrence River, Barbosa caught and released a musky measuring 54 3/4 inches with a 30 1/2-inch girth (measured both in the boat and in the water). On an IGFA certified scale and witnessed by three anglers, the fish weighed over 58 pounds.

“The 58 never went away and the 60 never showed!,” Lazarus told Musky Hunter. At the time of weighing, Lazarus’ boat was in two feet of water in an area of no wind, so there was no scale movement.

The fish struck a Legend Perchbait.

“It was so fat it didnt look like a 50-incher in the net,” Lazarus said. “When put on its stomach, it did not roll over. It looked like a seal!”

Lazarus told Musky Hunter that he had his scale double-checked and recertified by the IGFA on December 31 and “it was A-1.”

DopeFish: I believe somewhere in the 12-15 year range

(I'm no expert, but have been looking up a lot of info on the subject)

Saw these great pics as well: (Gotta love the fact that the Ontario Record was caught by a begginner! Gives us all hope! lol)

* The ones posted just in the last couple weeks (caught right in the Niagara area) are also spectacular!

65 POUNDS MUSKIE

The Ontario record Muskie weighed 65 pounds and measured 58 inches in length with 30.5 inches in girth. Toronto's Ken O'Brien caught the great fish on October 16, 1988, in Georgian Bay's Blackstone Harbour, Moon River Basin. The story goes that it was Ken's first time Muskie fishing. I guess beginner's luck is true sometimes.

ontario-record-muskie3.jpg

andersonmusky01.jpg

Check out this monster muskie from Michigan. Kyle Anderson of Rapid City, Mich. caught this 50-pound, 8-ounce muskie on Sept. 27 in Torch Lake near Traverse City.

*Unreal Colours

huge-muskellunge.jpg

* I "personally" like to see such a magnificent fish RELEASED. However, to each their own.

I hope i have not offended anyone in posting the pics. Just find these fish facinating.

One of my objectives this year, is to hook up with some anglers with experience, and catch some myself.

I'm pretty sure the O'Brien fish was 30 yrs old...There's virtually no way the 58 lber. caught by Ed Barbosa was under 15 yrs...Check out the Martin Williamson fish, it was aged at 17 yrs which was incredibly young for its size.

I can't imagine catching a ski that size !! I would probably die from the dehydration of bodily fluids . I wouldn't have a clue how to handle it at the boat unless I was well prepared in advance . Congrats to Ed .....I'll bet he couldn't sleep that night after that catch ! ^_^

Wow these muskies are magnificent creatures. It was so nice to see that the 58 pounder was released! In my humble opinion, a fish that big deserves to live on.

Thanks for the sharing the pics Blair!

Posted Today, 11:24 AM

I was up in the french river this fall (for walleye) but after losing many an eye to hungry ski's while reelin in we realized just how many of those monsters there are down there.. talkin to a local about this we were told the MNR had recently been in the area doing some research netting where they caught two muskys both over 100lbs, i couldnt even imagine! something to keep guys fishin for sure...

anyways heres my musky from this summer, got her down in the pool

musky_zps04e5f1f5.jpeg

Thats a beautiful 'pool Muskie!

100 lb. Muskie are as rare as Extra Terrestrials...Many believe they exist, no proof though... :huh:

Thats a beautiful 'pool Muskie!

100 lb. Muskie are as rare as Extra Terrestrials...Many believe they exist, no proof though... :huh:

Yep... The stories of 7 ft 100 lb skis being caught in the MNR nets... I hear that one quite a bit. Makes me chuckle...

Yep... The stories of 7 ft 100 lb skis being caught in the MNR nets... I hear that one quite a bit. Makes me chuckle...

Just about every Musky Hunter would like to catch a World Record, but...

Do Muskies Really Get That Big?

by Larry Ramsell, Research Editor

http://www.larryrams...et that big.pdf

excerpt:

In Ontario, things too have been occurring. Interesting findings also occurred in Georgian Bay

and the North Channel of Lake Huron. Data from around 1999, when net sampling operations

were conducted in five major spawning areas found a fair number of muskies up to 55 inches in

length. Areas surveyed were; Severn Sound, Moon River; Serpent Harbor, McGregor Bay and

Bay of Islands. All areas with the exception of Serpent Harbor produced 55 inch muskies. No

weights were given for any of the fish taken, but in personal communications with Ministry

biologists, fish in excess of 50 pounds were taken. Could net size, available time and the

immense size of the areas involved have prevented them from capturing a "super-mega" musky?

In an effort to gage pike stocks in Lake Nipissing in May of 2000, The Ontario MNR and the

Anishinabek-Ontario Fisheries Resource Centre found a number of muskies that exceeded 50

pounds in their nets! They were unable to obtain accurate weights due to the limitations of the

scale they had available. One fish measured 56 inches in length with an estimated girth of 30 to

33 inches. Of about 50 muskies that they had in their nets, three of them exceeded 50 pounds!

What else might exist there?

So, "do muskies really get that big," world beater size that is? Dr. John Casselman, the esocids

top researcher on age and maximum growth potential has developed some interesting ideas in

that regard, based on his years of research work. He believes that a new world record is possible

and even probable!

It is his belief that the next record musky will be a 30 to 35 year old female and that it will be

about 60 inches long. He feels that it will come from one of seven different musky waters in

Ontario. Those are Lake of the Woods; Eagle Lake; Wabigoon Lake; Lac Seul (which cannot

happen at this time due to catch and release only regulations); Ottawa River; St. Lawrence River

or Georgian Bay.

There is no current official World Record Musky, and 50 lbs and 100 lbs are pretty far apart... Just "fish stories"

And Ken Obrians Musky (which I believe is the WR,)was caught when he was Walleye fishing on a 5 inch Rapala. (Not beginners luck)

Cant believe everything you read/hear....

BTW Larry Ramsell has discredited every former Musky record, so its pretty hard to take him seriously.

There are muskies swimming around that are much bigger than what have been caught. I've done alot of diving, and I've seen some BRUTES....

Some of them way out in open offshore waters...

What would your guess be on the sizes of these brutes you saw, and where did you see them?

I've seen several muskies that I would put in the 60in range. One monster I saw was on a winter dive, out in the Eastern Basin of Erie off Waverly shoal....in around the beginning of April after ice out.

Hey Kevin,

I heard stories in the past , and this coming from some of the old boys that have passed away and YES it is obviously definate that there are much bigger fish than what was caught, Im not going to say how big because people wont believe but you know it because you saw them!

Hey Kevin,

I heard stories in the past , and this coming from some of the old boys that have passed away and YES it is obviously definate that there are much bigger fish than what was caught, Im not going to say how big because people wont believe but you know it because you saw them!

Dont tease us... How big?

Was touring through the sports section of Kijiji today (St.Kitts)....saw a guy selling 4 large muskie lures ,10 -12" for 35 bucks . There are pictures of them as well . He's in Stevensville......

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-fishing-camping-outdoors-4-Giant-thunderstick-Musky-Pike-lures-W0QQAdIdZ446276554

Was touring through the sports section of Kijiji today (St.Kitts)....saw a guy selling 4 large muskie lures ,10 -12" for 35 bucks . There are pictures of them as well . He's in Stevensville......

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-fishing-camping-outdoors-4-Giant-thunderstick-Musky-Pike-lures-W0QQAdIdZ446276554

They were on for $5/each at Grimsby Tackle in July

Archived