Geo-Caching Firetacks

Anyone else here do any geo-caching? I did a night cache last week and the trail was marked with fire tacks which are basically a thumb tack with reflective tape on the button part. You could see them 100 yards away at night. I'm thinking these make a way better trail marker for getting in before sunrise or out after last light.

I have 3 geo-caches I own and have found 111 so far. Helps pass the time until the rod tip thaws.

I have been wanting to give it a try since trying it out up North at the Sudbury Nickle mine...Where do you find them online? Like you say you have found 111 and have 3 of your own? The only thing that I did have concern with...was someone drawing you into a dangerous situation. I though it was really cool though...and a good way to learn your directions with the hand held GPS. They are not really that expensive. Can you elaborate Dan on where to get started?

Here's a 2 minute explanation of the game

http://www.geocaching.com/videos/#cat=cat:newbies&vid=-4VFeYZTTYs

The gps co-ords only get you to the first fire tack. You can then use the same co-ordinates to get you back to the beginning. You have to be a member to have your cache listed and there is a reviewal process. Added to that everyone who visits the cache logs it on the site and leaves a comment so unless your the First To Find you'll be able to read any warnings or notes others think you should know.

If you've never geo-cached before and want to try just sign up for that site, then hover over the "Play" tab and click the geocaching map link. You won't believe how many of these things are hidden right around your neighbourhood. Most of my finds have been in Fort Erie and my map is only have completed.

When I started doing this I have having revelations because I remember seeing people at some of these locations and wondered why they were milling around. I've also found containers of dollar store junk with some scribbles on a piece of paper and been weirded out. Why is there a camoflauged container full of kids toys in the middle of the woods? It was a forum member here "Spotted Garr" that explained to me what it was.

Anyway if anyone knows where to get these fire tacks I'd appreciate it. White tacks to get in and red to get out. A bear trap in the middle for the tree stand thieves.

Dan, would my car GPS work? It has the ability to put into walking mode. I signed up with them anyhow...my grand daughter loves this kind of thing with the hiking and hunting for the unknown. Was checking out a few in our area with one that has 4 waypoints each marked at the location of the first find, then gives the waypoint to the next. So you need to find all four before the final cache. Are you registered? Whats your user so I can look up yours for the next time Im down that way? If I cant use my car GPS, I will buy one thats suitable....can you reccomend one to buy that works well?

Thanks, looking forward to giving it a shot...

Those fire tacks, could you not just make your own??

Making firetacks would be quite a job but I've made tiny roe bags and flies so I guess some reflective tape and glue would get er done.

I think using a car GPS would be like using a Snoopy rod down at Queenston. I would suggest a new handheld which go for around $170. I got mine on sale for $125. I have an older Garmin and tried to use it so two of us could compete in a park but the technology is so much better these days I'm about ready to toss this old one out. Kinda like fishing with twisted mono and fighting bird nests all day. Not enjoyable.

I was suggested to buy the Megallan GC or 110. I got the GC and glad I did. If you have the cash they also come with a touch screen but I haven't seen one yet.

Kids absolutely love geocaching. In fact I find the crowd downright healthy. This isn't a boozing activity and they hold clean up events like us anglers do. I have met so many good wholesome people in the last couple months and all of them like the outdoors as much as hunters and anglers.

I am planing a trip to St Johns Pond tomorrow if you want to join me. There are only two caches in there but more around the park on the sideroads and dead ends. That's another thing. I get around in the bush and watersheds but these caches are bringing me to features I never knew existed.

If you wanna try it with me just sign up first and we'll meet down there. If my youngest will rise by 9 I'll bring him but I have my doubts. If you like it you may want to buy a GPS unit and even a premium membership so you can see the members only caches.

One thing the kids really like is dropping a travel bug or geocoin into a cache. You log which geocache its in and when someone picks it up and moves it they log it and you get an email update. The kids enjoy watching their little toy with a dogtag on it move around the country or even earth. Warning though I've only been fishing once this year :0

I just came off of being sick, only got back to work Friday so Im not quite ready for it yet...still hacking and gagging away. But Im liking how involved it gets. There is times when the only reason I go fishing is for excerise...I think the Geo Caching may just open a whole new door. My grand daughter is a doer....if your not doing something with her 24/7 shes bored...lol. She will love it...anything to do with surprise, and the "hunt". Im going to check out the hand helds for sure. I was reading that people have used the car ones with good success though. I have a Garmin Nuvi 780...has all the bells whistles, just dont know if it will stay charged long enough off the dock.

I'd be interested to see it work :D

If you want a good place to introduce someone to geocaching I recommend the park where the Welland River meets the QEW meets Chippawa Creek. Good easy interesting caches except one hard one that is bound to get you hooked if you find it

I have a geo-cache app for my iphone and it works great. I think the app was maybe $10 but well worth it with the hours spent with the family searching for these hidden treasures.

I looked at the Garmin GC as i dont have or want data on my phone. Not bad really you can pick up th garmin for as low as $125.00

Im adding it to my wish list. Cant wait to get started...i like hiking and adveture so what better way to entertain my grand daughter and get the much needed excercise. Checking it all out looks like fun to me.

Archived