Snake

mazz

Eastern Milk Snake: A slender species, with a beige background and brown to reddish blotches on the back. The belly has a black and white checkerboard pattern. They are often mistaken for rattlesnakes since they will vibrate their tail rapidly when threatened, which can produce a buzzing sound if it contacts the ground. Once believed to milk cows, hence the name, but like all snakes they only drink water! Farmers now realize the great benefit of this snake, as its primary diet is rodents. Milk snakes also prey on other snakes, including venomous species, as they are immune to the toxins. These snakes rarely exceed one metre in length. Milk snakes are found throughout southern Ontario.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice snake, not very common to see them anymore. I remember as a kid seeing lots of them on the farm, AND the masassauga rattlers as well ... but I hear that the rattlers are extinct in the wainfleet marsh now ....

Nice snake, not very common to see them anymore. I remember as a kid seeing lots of them on the farm, AND the masassauga rattlers as well ... but I hear that the rattlers are extinct in the wainfleet marsh now ....

You heard wrong.

take care of those little guys, theyre a specially protected species in Ontario! I've seen them in good numbers down at the river lately too!

Archived