Charles Daley Park

smerchly

I fished the pond at the 15 Mile Cr.side this morning .....nothing much biting & lots of minnows entering the outflow from the lake . I checked out the 16 Mile Cr. side to see if the road was open to the public . The road is fixed with lots of boulders added at the lake ....looks good to go .

SAM_2828.JPG

The roads are good, grass is cut ....all ready for people to park their cars & have a picnic under the trees & toss a line in the pond ........or lake

SAM_2827.JPG

But ........they have put a gate in at the entrance ! We have to walk down the hill from the main parking lot to enjoy the nice grounds and great beach ??

SAM_2829.JPG

Are they going to keep vehicles out ? Does anyone know what is happening ? It's a pain in the ass carrying all your gear from the top parking lot .

damn, i really hope they dont keep the bottom portion as a no vehicle zone... i agree, that walk with all your fishing gear is no fun.. il check it out tomorrow on my way into town and see for myself,

Town of Lincoln is in a dilemma. The "Friends" ( a large group of Vineland seniors) of the park have put a lot of effort into seeing the park improved for local use. Unfortunately, the lower park gets taken over by the out of town immigrant crowd on the weekend. Multiple smouldering burn pits, torn up sod, and lots of garbage are the end result. Who do you pacify?

Operating hours? Privately owned yet?

7am to 10 pm.

No, it cannot be privatized. If Lincoln no longer wants to care for the park it reverts back to the NPCA

Thanks for the info Bruce . It's sad how a few slobs can ruin it for the majority of decent people by leaving their garbage for others to pick up . A few well placed signs that prohibit fire pits ( bbq's only) and some periodic enforcement would help . They have garbage pails there and the beach area was clean . They could also post a designated parking area away from the grassy spots that get ruined by thoughtless people . I have a garden wagon with fat tires (my dune buggy) , so I will use it when I fish that area , & park near the entrance to use the road to enter that side of the park .

WOW, My father and I walk the dog down there 3-4 times a week in the summer and have never seen the " out of town immigrant crowd" much less multiple smoldering burn pits, torn up sod or for that matter lots of garbage. I have no idea what the town of Lincoln is talking about, the only people I run into are mostly families out enjoying the beach, having a Picnic, enjoying the nice cool breeze coming off the lake.Why would you fix the road? improve the erosion barriers and then gate off the road to the best area of the Park, it is completely idiotic. However not surprising this is the Town of Lincoln and a bunch of seniors we are dealing with.It sucks when a group takes over a public park then restricts the rest of the public to access the best areas.

After reading this post I sent my Uncle an email Smerchly who is a Town Councillor for Lincoln.

He said they are waiting to do line painting on the new road and lower parking lot.Hopefully thats the case!!

That makes more sense, then the immigrant crowd tearing it up

I have seen lots of careless people down there over the past year as i'm there with my son lots of the time. The families have seemed to move down to the other side which i have also and in some cases ran into combat fishing with some people that feel the need to fish right beside you or over top of your line for pan fish to eat...

I don't think bigugli is wrong by any means, nor do I believe it is hate. I have spent 7 years in the customer service field, both indoors and outdoors, and the immagrant groups he is referring too generally were really messy, littered, and didn't get the concept of what a garbage can is used for.... I was at CDP this past Friday, and there was a large amount (Family reunion I believe ) on the 16 mile side, and there was garbage everywhere, 3 fires going, and 2 guys even had the nerve to come over beside me and my little brother and smoke some Weed (he's 14, and was asking me what the smell was) ... I mean I smoke my fair share fishing, but not right beside people, or anywhere where people might be...

The bright spot was there was ann older gentleman walking around and picking up garbage while taking pictures of the sunset and stuff... But if this is what it's like without the road open... how much worse could it be with it open... maybe the town could hire someone to stay at the area through-out the day and keep it clean and keep an eye on people?

I don't think bigugli is wrong by any means, nor do I believe it is hate. I have spent 7 years in the customer service field, both indoors and outdoors, and the immagrant groups he is referring too generally were really messy, littered, and didn't get the concept of what a garbage can is used for.... I was at CDP this past Friday, and there was a large amount (Family reunion I believe ) on the 16 mile side, and there was garbage everywhere, 3 fires going, and 2 guys even had the nerve to come over beside me and my little brother and smoke some Weed (he's 14, and was asking me what the smell was) ... I mean I smoke my fair share fishing, but not right beside people, or anywhere where people might be...

The bright spot was there was ann older gentleman walking around and picking up garbage while taking pictures of the sunset and stuff... But if this is what it's like without the road open... how much worse could it be with it open... maybe the town could hire someone to stay at the area through-out the day and keep it clean and keep an eye on people?

20+ years in customer service has taught me not to paint people with the same brush.

I'm sure there are just as many locals making a mess as there are immigrants....and just as many immigrants with respect for the land and others around them as those who are local to the park.

All I know is I can't seem to get away with 5 minutes of unpaid parking before the meter-maid buggers give me a ticket! If we could divert 10% of that kind of effort into giving out tickets for littering in some of our parks and recreation areas the issue would go away pretty quickly! Yet I don't think I have ever seen a bylaw enforcement officer while I was fishing?

20+ years in customer service has taught me not to paint people with the same brush.

I'm sure there are just as many locals making a mess as there are immigrants....and just as many immigrants with respect for the land and others around them as those who are local to the park.

I wasn't saying ALL of the immigrant crowd makes a mess, but just pointing out a general observation I have seen over the years. And I Also know that there are just as many, if not more locals that make the mess.

This past week I ran into a gentleman who took up his own time and resources and set up garbage cans on the south side of the QEW on 16 Mile Pond. It was really nice to hear that someone cares that much about a park that they would do such a thing. Hopefully people who fish on that side begin to use it. Im running out of grocery bags to fill every time I go out :P

You can think what you want. I got tired of picking up piles of garbage on Sunday and Monday mornings. I also used to sit on the park's steering committee listening to local complaints about the nuisances and disturbances at the park, grandiose schemes for a dredged marina, condos, etc.... Back when they charged an admission into the park for non-residents of Lincoln, there was far less litter.

Up until 2 years ago, when I moved out of Lincoln, bylaw enforcement was non existent. Lincoln shared a part time enforcement officer with 2 other municipalities. I have no idea if that has changed. I do know that Lincoln has no backbone. They have signs placed clearly stating park rules, but short of the hours of operation, are not enforced. The resident firebug still puts up big fires on the beach every week.

I ran into old Max at the east pond & he has 3 big piles of driftwood logs ready to fire up . If littering fines were increased to $1000 it wouldn't make much difference if not enforced . The problem is catching them in the act & having proof that they left all the garbage there . It is easier for police to catch someone tossing a butt from their car by using dash cams . The easiest & cheapest way to control littering is simply shutting off access .

The bottom line is that there should be easy access to the lake and the pond......I noticed a few disabled parking spots at CDP, when I was there a few weeks ago, but they were also quite a distance to the pond.......The barriers don't do anything to enhance the park's beauty........Hopefully, they will be removed, so that everyone entering CDP, can enjoy it, to the fullest..........

Right on Tony . They spent a lot of money installing that 8' wide board walk etc. When I was young , the cities had people cleaning up our parks with bags & nail sticks to pick up garbage . Our society today is much richer (believe it or not) and we can't employ a few people to do this job ? Fishing at Port a few days ago , a tanker truck and a student were hosing down the west wall to clean off tons of goose crap . It took all morning to clean that short stretch . Two days later the crap was back ! Like garbage , it's an endless job.

I drove through yesterday and all the gates are open.

Tight lines

No kidding ! That is great ! Maybe canadianfcat's uncle (councilor) pushed the opening of the gates . Thanks for the info Moe Fishin.

went down today, parked at the lower gate but was locked out, fished for a few hours and hooked into a few kitties, lost a good carp in one of the rare snags in the pond, when i went back up... go figure me and another guy had out cars locked in between the two gates?... they closed the gates for whatever reason, had to track him down and ask him to let us out, talked to a lady who said she was complaining to the one guy working the park and all he could say was take it to the town of lincoln, hes just the lowest guy on the totem poll just doing what hes told.

on another note, the mnr had a tinner put into the pond today, i asked the three ladies what they were doing, they were just sampling to see if there were zebra mussels in the ponds and to see what the population is going up or down.

Archived