Whirlpool Claims Another Life Or Two

Dan Andrews

Have to be careful around any water body or system with current. Even Port D can surprise you. :unsure:

Completely. When the dam or whatever it is gets turned on the current easily take a 2 oz pyramid sinker on a bottom bouncing rig right off the bottom. It's pretty scary to think what would happen if you fell into that swirling water.

Sad.....22 yrs old. The day is coming when the no fishing signs go up. You simply cant take the Niagara River for granted.I truly feel sorry for the families.

We need to remember to be carefull anywhere we fish especially the niagara. On the canadian side the rocks are at almost a horizontal angle, so that makes it alot safer cause you're less likely to fall and slip into the water. The american side sounds more vertical. Guys use your head. If it looks dangerous don't fish there

with all the rescues lately and the money spent not to mention the risk assumed by the rescuers one can only imagine a time in the near future when the gorge and whirlpool will be off-limits to everyday folk. if that time ever comes it will be a sad,sad day.

I don't think it will be very long before its closed. Or, some mandatory training course along with a paid license of some kind. Something will change soon, theres too many dollars spent fishing people out of there for it not to change.

I have never seen an angler wearing a pfd down there . We wear them in boats ,etc. where it is safer to fish . Maybe the day will come ....... :coldsmiley:

I have posted about the dangers of fishing the mighty Niagara previously . I stated that the rocks can get very slimy and you could slip into the extremely strong current and disappear in seconds . When I fish places like the River or even the 12 Mile Creek, which is a river to me , I look for a decent spot to land a fish safely in case I need to use my hands to land the fish . Using a long handled net would be better but sometimes a net is too bulky to carry , especially when riding a bicycle . As Drifter said , Watch those rocks !

imagine all the people who would line the bank at queenston if they made the glen and whirlpool a no fish zone?.. the rocks at niagara are deceiving, the dry looking ones are very slippery half the time, and the water drops off faster then one thinks, i know i have taken a few chances to get to certain spots, and im sure others do too, but i think from now on il be taking my time waking the bank and taking safety into better consideration

Good advice Jordan . As we know the Pool is very popular for fishing , hiking & sightseeing . Many who trek down there are visitors & some have taken a swim while unaware of the strong undertows & changing currents . It would be a good thing for the city to put signs up at both ends of the pool & glen warning people to stay away from the water's slippery rocks . This place has been in the news more often lately with people falling down the banks or drowning . I would hate to see a sign that reads " Dangerous waters , no trespassing" ...... :mellow:

The Whirlpool has fluctuating levels too that should be made aware, especially for those that never fished there. You can be standing on a rock casting, unaware of the rising levels around you.

Right on Drifter....I witnessed a guy with his family watching I might add standing on that big flat rock that looks like an ideal spot just left of the heli pad. He was fishing and looking straight out in front of him....I was not paying attention to him as I was fishing the corner. Then I heard commotion and yelling going on I looked over and the water had come in behind him and he actually had to jump into waist deep water to get back to shore....if you fish there you know the rock Im talking about. He was lucky, usually the water is really sweeping in behind that rock but at that time it was only a very slow current, but I have seen it where it would sweep you off your feet. First time I ever fished the pool I took a major spill and broke my brothers hardy rod....those rocks are worse than grease. I agree with the signs warning of the dangers...but on the other hand that could also be a liability against the park if they posted those signs. A judge could say well if there is that much danger...why did you not ban access. Be a sad day to see the pool or Glen closed to hiking and fishing....but there is just to many people who don't take dangers seriously enough.

Right on Drifter....I witnessed a guy with his family watching I might add standing on that big flat rock that looks like an ideal spot just left of the heli pad. He was fishing and looking straight out in front of him....I was not paying attention to him as I was fishing the corner. Then I heard commotion and yelling going on I looked over and the water had come in behind him and he actually had to jump into waist deep water to get back to shore....if you fish there you know the rock Im talking about. He was lucky, usually the water is really sweeping in behind that rock but at that time it was only a very slow current, but I have seen it where it would sweep you off your feet. First time I ever fished the pool I took a major spill and broke my brothers hardy rod....those rocks are worse than grease. I agree with the signs warning of the dangers...but on the other hand that could also be a liability against the park if they posted those signs. A judge could say well if there is that much danger...why did you not ban access. Be a sad day to see the pool or Glen closed to hiking and fishing....but there is just to many people who don't take dangers seriously enough.

Poor guy. Poor rod.

I have never seen an angler wearing a pfd down there . We wear them in boats ,etc. where it is safer to fish . Maybe the day will come ....... :coldsmiley:

I actually have one of those nice mustang inflatable vests that I use most times down there...

Archived