Thinking Of Heading To The Niagara This Weekend.

Bow Man

So thinking of hitting up the Niagara this Sunday morning. So where would you suggest ... first I must say I fish from shore. So where do suggest the Upper or down in the gorge or the glen?

Cheers

Bow Man

Upper river at the wall by the peace bridge. Rainbows ,walleye , pink salmon and bass are to be had

Thank you , I was thinking closer to the Train bridge, there is a lot of spots there to fish.... any good?

I grew up on the upper river. Fished it almost daily for years on end. I can count on one hand how many pinks (humpies) I have caught. Over the past 20 years, I've landed MAYBE a dozen cohos, 2 Chinook, and 3 or 4 pinks. The upper is not a salmon fishery, incidental at best.

If it's salmon you are actually targeting, you are much better off fishing the lower. If it's pinks that you are specifically after, look to the western tribs along Erie's north shore, you'll find what you're looking for there :)

New to fishing Niagara, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the laker and rainbow fishery in the upper. Why are so many trout in the upper, downriver from Erie? Are there smaller streams that dump into Niagara they are looking for? Headed to lower last year a few times and after seeing some pics on here and driving past guys on the wall near the peace bridge I questioned if I was driving a half hour too far.

I live in Fort Erie as well, the upper will yield anything as long as you wait long enough. I have seen a salman, one time walking along the breakwall (without my rod and real ;( ) I looked over the edge and in about 2 fow there was the largest fish I have ever seen, it was without a doubt a salman, and this pre-dated the phone with a camera age. An older man walking by confirmed it with me that it was a salmon, it sat there swimming in the current for a long time, and slowly worked its way up current from there. For some reason I think it may have been in the spring time, but it was along time ago so I don't rmemeber, but it was awesome, def. something I will never forget.

On the flip side, the local fishing guru/guide who has property across from the upper river is currently fishing for salmon, however he is in the lower right now, so that says somehting about the salmon fishing in the upper!

New to fishing Niagara, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the laker and rainbow fishery in the upper. Why are so many trout in the upper, downriver from Erie? Are there smaller streams that dump into Niagara they are looking for? Headed to lower last year a few times and after seeing some pics on here and driving past guys on the wall near the peace bridge I questioned if I was driving a half hour too

Timing runs and conditions on the lower is much easier. Guys who consistently do well in the upper know the conditions that bring the fish in. Up top, the fish are more just wanderers chasing bait. Here one day, gone the next.

Most guys don't throw spoons in the upper for pinks because they spawn before the rainbows are there. Pinks are there for maybe 2 weeks mid to end of august and are early spawners

I have fished that river hard in August for years.....lots of types of spinners, spoons, flies, bait, etc...

If anyone can show me that pinks are more than an incidental catch, I'll pay to see it. I'm not disagreeing, but I've put more time in that water than most, and have seen very few over the years. One here, one there.

Lots of miles on my boots both upper and lower niagara! Agree with Kevin in the fact that I can count on one finger the amount of Pinks I have seen caught up there! Pinks on the upper are like Unicorns! The changes in the NY state rainbow stocking programs have also caused fall rainbow numbers to drop to almost not worth fishing numbers up top!

It's not just the fact that stocking in Buffalo harbour was cut back, it's the strain of fish used. NY pretty much eliminated the stocking of domestic rainbows (a fall spawning strain).

The 5 or 6 local fishermen that used to do the majority of the fishing there used to refer to them as Yanky Reds.

Archived