Saint Catherines Fishing Report

fishfight

Date: Nov3, 2013

Number of fish landed – one Female Brown trout roughly 4-5lber at 8 :30am. Fish hardly fought, was Release.

Number of anglers fishing in our area: 20, Most of them bottom bouncing with roe.

Technique used: Spinning reel with 6lb line. Cast and retrieved with spoon.

Number of lures I lost- One spoon lost after it hooked a tree while I was overhead casting, line broke, then the spoon catapult to the water.

Total Hours fishing- Two hours- 7-9am

Temp-: 2 degrees, very windy and cold. forecast was a high of 5 degrees for the day.

Wind direction- SW 20km wind. Sun came out by 8am.

A cool software for you guys to take off background easily http://clippingmagic.com/

IMG_0002_clipped_rev_1_zpsa2b9f9da.png

IMG_0003_clipped_rev_1_zpsa62bb957.png

Here are some of the lures I improvised to make them heavier fishing stronger current, lure to be used this winter months.

IMG_00011_zps016965c7.jpg

Story:
I actually fish for less than one hour. Brown trout hit and was landed just 6 feet in front of the shore line, I was not even paying attention when the fish hit, since I was too preoccupied chit-chatting and gave lesson to a novice anglers beside me, the slow retrieve and improvised heavier 1oz+ lure stayed deeper and longer, helped my success fishing stronger current condition. The fellow helped me land the fish and took the picture as well. Fish was release right away after photos taken. There were 2-3 other fish landed by other anglers fishing at the stronger current section. I was fishing at the calmer spot that no one wanted. To my surprise, lots of anglers were already fishing by first daylight. I would consider it a slow day since hardly any fish landed at the prime spot. I just got lucky! Cold front also just came in, and to linger on for the next two days.

The dam water flow was not release, other anglers complained that fishing will be slower when the current was not flowing enough to mimic a river system. The water was flowing inward on our side , in a circular direction, where the actual current was flowing at the other side, hardly any anglers there to my surprise.

I spend a total of 1 hour from detangling my line off numerous bird nest, since I added too much new line on my reel spool , then too stubborn to salvage and cut the new raven line that was on it . I finally gave up, after my 4th attempt to untangle another bird nest. Using a hand with glove to untangle line on a cold windy day, does not help either.

It was a bonus fishing and have landed a Brown Trout, after 3 years of not fishing that area. I was originally hoping to fish Niagara river, but the water clarity was bad that day. My wife, whom I dropped off, was also waiting at Timmy’s, we were on our way to do some window shopping across the US border at buffalo. I told my wife that I wanted to fish for two hours before we hit the border crossing. I would have love to fish for another 5 hours even if I have to embrace a cold windy day, but my rule of thumb for a happy marriage life was to be disciplined to only fish for limited hours when I am with my wife, but patiently wait for her to window shop for many hours.
The area is definitely another fishing spot that I will be adding to my place of interest. Nice to start my winter fishing season with a success, after not fishing for a month from being out of the country.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great report. I was there Saturday and landed one bow and a nice brown. null_zpsa27a7d65.jpgnull_zps0e8273dd.jpg

Can you share your technique or strategy?

How was the fight between bow and brown?

So your the one with coins tacked to the spoons I caught one of your spoons with two nickels on it in the gorge thought it was pretty ingenious. Nice fish to boot..

according to the law of canada, using Canadian Currency as weight for the aid of fishing directly contravenes Canadian Currency laws;

• 11. (1) No person shall, except in accordance with a licence granted by the Minister, melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is current and legal tender in Canada.

• Offence and punishment

(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or any condition attached to a licence referred to in that subsection is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, and, in addition to any fine or imprisonment imposed, the court may order that the articles by means of or in relation to which the offence was committed be forfeited to Her Majesty.

• R.S., c. C-39, s. 10.

Pennies are still considered legal tender in Canada, and you will be liable to be charged accordingly. Just fare warning.

according to the law of canada, using Canadian Currency as weight for the aid of fishing directly contravenes Canadian Currency laws;

• 11. (1) No person shall, except in accordance with a licence granted by the Minister, melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is current and legal tender in Canada.
  • Offence and punishment

(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or any condition attached to a licence referred to in that subsection is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, and, in addition to any fine or imprisonment imposed, the court may order that the articles by means of or in relation to which the offence was committed be forfeited to Her Majesty.

• R.S., c. C-39, s. 10.

Pennies are still considered legal tender in Canada, and you will be liable to be charged accordingly. Just fare warning.

Used one to scratch lottery ticket the other day. Uh oh;)

Used one to scratch lottery ticket the other day. Uh oh;)

• Offence and punishment

• R.S., c. C-39, s. 10.

Just use US coins:)

you guys take the fun out of everything. The guy made a good post and then you guys take it in another direction.

There are a lot more problems in the world that we could gab about rather then this or discussing the particulars about regulations.

I know that it is more of a deterrent to post info than anything.

you guys take the fun out of everything. The guy made a good post and then you guys take it in another direction.

There are a lot more problems in the world that we could gab about rather then this or discussing the particulars about regulations.

I know that it is more of a deterrent to post info than anything.

Why complain when there are guys ready to crucify someone for breaking fishing laws that they forget when they are breaking laws themselves. To me there is nothing wrong with what he did but when you find something or someplace that works maybe you should keep it to yourselves instead of as canadadude says be an " internet hero "

haha, honestly I'm willing to get there at 3 am to get a good spot just to pin it and hear the guys whine:p

What is your problem, there is enough crap down there ........why do you need to start crap with the regulars, I don't get it thats the crap we try to get around down there, this atitude is why it sucks down there at times,

haha, honestly I'm willing to get there at 3 am to get a good spot just to pin it and hear the guys whine:

You are not setting a good example for a moderator. To go fishing early so that you can intentionally irritate other fishermen is very childish and immature.

Archived