Duck Hunting

Hendo

Thinking of getting into duck hunting next year, i live in ridgeway so looking for some areas close to me, what i am not sure of is it legal to hunt anywhere out on lake erie . Obviously common sense applies. Just not sure if this is prohibited or if there is designated areas. If someone could fill me in or let me know where i could find some maps on it that would be great thanks.

Thinking of getting into duck hunting next year, i live in ridgeway so looking for some areas close to me, what i am not sure of is it legal to hunt anywhere out on lake erie . Obviously common sense applies. Just not sure if this is prohibited or if there is designated areas. If someone could fill me in or let me know where i could find some maps on it that would be great thanks.

There are lots of places but call the ministry to be sure.

Yes, you can hunt erie, but you must check with Township bi-laws as to shoreline limits.

I grew up in Ft Erie and when I was a kid you used to be able to hunt right from shore. We hunted along Stonemill Point. Then they passed a law that you had to hunt from a boat. So we would pull the boat right up against the point and hunt from that. Great hunting there, specially late season.

Then, a few years later they passed a law that you had to be 200 yards off shore and NOT on the East side of the point (protected side from prevailing winds).

Well by then my family had moved. I don't know what the laws would be now, but it sure has made it difficult. You know how quickly the storms can rise up on Erie, and 200 yards out you need 60ft of line on each decoy. Just like all things, they won't make hunting illegal, just put extreme limits on where you can and can't hunt and regulate the crap out of it until no one bothers any more.

although not on erie, i was fishing queenston 2 nights ago and a guy pulled into the dock with a john boat decked out in a duck blind, said a whole bunch of people hunt on the niagara river down from queenston for ducks. always another option

Hey guys thanks for all the input , im gonna keep plugging away trying to find some spots , its just so hard around here seems there is always some sort of loop hole. Oldoutdoorsman stonemill was what i had in mind very close to my house and when im out bass fishing i always notice a good amount of birds in this area , guess i will have to cross that off my list. To far out on erie for me if im goin out there ill leave the gun at home and fish for eyes

• 1 month later...

Yes hunting is permitted from shore at Reebs bay. Take the Quarry road off hiway 3.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/05/15/hunting-still-ok-at-reebs-bay

That's interesting, had anyone here at NFN harvested any waterfowl at Reebs Bay before?

Also, how about conservation areas around here, I looked into hunting them, but is it worth it? or is it like fishing Port Dalhousie during a salmon run?

Forget about lake ducks , for the most part they aren't very good table fare. Look at getting a few fields, farm ponds and flooded woodland to hunt. Mallards and woodies are so much better to eat. Then there is geese as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Russ Donnelly, the Regional Director for Eastern Canada for Delta Waterfowl - I would like to give you a little background on Delta, and what makes us different.

Delta Waterfowl is a membership funded organization established in 1911 and headquartered in Winnipeg, that has a simple mandate – to preserve our hunting heritage and to ensure the future of waterfowl and waterfowl hunting.

There are three things that sets Delta apart, A) we are a hunting and conservation / research organization B) the money raised in Canada stays in Canada and C) our local chapters retain 25% of the net proceeds raised through their fundraisers to re-invest locally.

We have an extensive research and conservation arm, we promote first hunt / youth hunt programs and the installation of nesting structures, and we advocate on behalf of the hunting community on issues that will impact us. The recent abolishment of the Long Gun Registry was a Delta “win” – the Federal Government credits the lobby work of Delta Waterfowl as a key reason for the scrapping of the registry. We don’t only lobby on waterfowl issues, either – we recently were part of a group that got a dove season for Ontario, a crane season in Alberta, and we’re currently working on a crane season for Ontario, for example. We also get involved in local issues, as brought forth by our chapters.

When our local chapters hold local fundraising events, they retain 25% of the net proceeds raised to do local projects – youth / first hunt programs, installing nesting structures, maintaining habitat, offering scholarships, etc. This 25% retention is key to our chapters – we need the local grassroots support, and what better way to show that than by reinvesting a portion of the funds raised back into the local community.

We have an extensive event system, with fantastic event items such as guns, decorative decoys, gear, artwork, novelty items, etc., and our packages change yearly.

Our local chapter network is the lifeblood of Delta - they host events, help raise funds, and help promote the work of Delta in the local community. If you're interested in being involved with our starting a local chapter, I'd love to talk with you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out – I look forward to hearing from you and meeting you in the near future!

Cheers,

Russ

Russ Donnelly
Regional Director, Eastern Canada
Delta Waterfowl Foundation
647 228 6852
rdonnelly@deltawaterfowl.org

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
On 8/23/2020 at 3:23 PM, numanconstructionrenovatio said:

Has anyone ever hunted off Morgan's point on lake Erie? was out there recently and looks like a good spot.

Hunted from shore there 50 years ago, built blinds of of the flat rocks found there, had a couple of dozen Bluebill decoys , got a few limits of BlueBills and Buffleheads there, pass on the Oldsquaws cause that is what they taste like, same with the sawbills,

On 8/23/2020 at 3:23 PM, numanconstructionrenovatio said:

Has anyone ever hunted off Morgan's point on lake Erie? was out there recently and looks like a good spot.

Morgans point you have to hunt in a boat. Minimum 500 yards off shore i believe.  Lots of people hunt it from boats and have decent luck on a calm enough day.

Archived