Smokers ! ( For Meat)

Buckshot

Lets hear em folks!!! Who's got smokers and wants to share knowledge and recipes or just simple thoughts on em ! I've had one for years and have smoked anything from cheese to fish n all sorts of wild game ! Today I am actually smoking venison backstrap for my best friend that's coming to dinner !! Bacon wrapped and seasoned and stuffed with apples ... Mmm in my digital electric smoker for approx 2 hrs @ 225 until internal of 135 ... Every half hour opening n spraying down with apple juice then when hits internal target it comes out wrap in tin foil n towels n let stand 15 mins !! Cheers feel free to ask anything as I have a passion for cooking n more so BBQ n smoking ! Lol ( meat)

I have a materbuilt propane/charcoal love the thing smoked ribs brisket pork shoulders and sausage , going to spark her up tonight and try some perch in it also would like to try using it for jerky anybody ever done this ?

Smoking should cook the meat but there are many ways to smoke. Some things are cured and smoked for flavour alone. I have a charcoal style smoker and a pork shoulder took about 18 hours at a low to medium heat in my smoker (had to set the alarm clock every few hours to see how things were coming along). I started it at night so not to piss off the neighbours. I will never do that again; just too much work to add a smokey flavour to a piece of meat in my opinion.

I like making smoked salmon with maple syrup drizzled on top and that is the only reason I've kept my smoker. It will take about an hour and a half starting at a low heat and then cranking it up to get it to temperature.

I have a cajun injector electric smoker. love it, I cook pork loins, ribs, chicken sausage, kielbasa, summer sausage, and jerky in it. one great tip is to make a batch of baked beans and put it in am aluminium lasagna pan, place on the bottom rack, the fat will drip off the roast or ribs making one of the best smoky baked beans you will have ever had.

2 cups White Pea Beans
5 cups cold water
1 medium onion, sliced
½ tbsp salt
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
½ tsp prepared mustard
¼ cup Molasses
½ cup tomato ketchup (i have used barbecue sauce instead)
Pinch black pepper

Sort and rinse beans. SOAK BEANS OVERNIGHT in cold water. Drain. Add 5 cups cold water, cover, heat to boiling, then simmer 30 minutes or until nearly tender. Drain. Place onion slices on bottom of a lasagna dish. Add remaining 7 ingredients in with the beans, stirring gently to combine, then pour entire mixture into lasagna dish. Add enough water to cover mixture. Place on bottom rack of smoker with pork overtop, let the rendered fat drip into the pan.
When beans are tender, remove 1 cup of beans, mash, then stir back into pot carefully. Continue to bake. Add water if needed to keep beans covered.

I have made this without the smoker also, if you want to try oven at 250, 7 hours, and make sure you put some bacon or panchetta in the beans as there will not be any fat in the beans.

Mike

Anyone have a traeger? Been thinking about picking one up, can use as smoker or grill. Pellet feed system. Also the bradleys go on sale quite often...which to chose?!

I just bought a 4 rack Bradley digital smoker from Grimsby Tackle. Martin has some great deals and has a great assortment of smoke puck flavours The 4 rack digitals are awesome and priced at $450 plus tax. Can't beat that

Who has a good jerky recipe ? And what kind of beef do you use?

Cliff I use this recipe and just multiply by whatever ur meat is, the recipe is for 2 lbs. Love it, but the kids love it more and usually a 10 lb roast last 2 days lol.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/docs-best-beef-jerky/

I use a dehydrater so u might wanna go less on the liquid smoke and use real hickory pellets!

Anyone have a traeger? Been thinking about picking one up, can use as smoker or grill. Pellet feed system. Also the bradleys go on sale quite often...which to chose?!

I have a Traeger Grill and love it. I have one for over 5 years now. Theres not a better way t cook brisket, wings, ribs…..well really any meat!

Archived