Minimum Boat Size For The Niagara River.

Tyler0420

I'm looking to buy a boat in the next month or two. Something 14-18' aluminum with a 20-50 horse power motor. Looking to spend around $ 2-5000 What is roughly the minimum size you would need to power through the niagara current? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone have a boat for sale let me know. Thanks

Tyler...i have a 14 footer (deeper hull with centre console) and a 25hp. Never had a problem on the upper river. I venture on erie occasionaely when the weather/ wind allows. I have never fished the lower so i have no comment.

Before I bought my boat, I hired a guide (Paul at Cast Adventures) to fish the upper and erie to get a first hand view and feel for the water.

If you go with a 14 footer....seriously look at a deeper hull boat. Will give you the extra comfort, stability and confidence.

Dale

It depends on what you fish for...

I have a 14ft deep v with a twenty and it works fine for both the upper and the lower... I'm not going anywhere near Devils hole.

I would go larger and include a bow mounted trolling motor on my next go around...

Set yer budget a wee bit higher...

16ft 40hp bow mounted trolling motor.

On the Upper River, that is fine. It will allow to navigate the smaller tribs and even Erie on the good days. Mr.Plummer is right in saying a deep hull and a bow mount troller is a good idea. Don't for get to leave a little in the budget for a GPS/fish finder.

Don't rush to buy 1 just to have it.Good deals to be had early spring & I would suggest you water test it or have a reliable person/shop do an inspection.It could run fine on muffs but have issues under load etc.. I rushed on my first 2 boats because I thought the deal would be gone & ended up way over budget by the time I did repairs that were hidden issues.If the outboard is iffy at all there is a few grand wasted.Good luck & be carefull

Hey Tyler I have a smoker craft 14 ft with 25 hp mercury only a couple of hrs on it I will be selling its on a trailer in your price range 5000 or so if your interested you can contact me through email at jkootur@yahoo.com thx Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived