Is It Way More Costly To Be Part Of A Bass Club?

fishfight

Will it cost a person way more to just be a member of a bass club? Excluding joining any tournament, just other fees and fishing with more experience/advance anglers on occasion.

How about time commitment? attending seminars, meetings , etc....

I am an avid tennis player, I would not have met better Tennis players if I did not join our local Tennis club and joined league matches. However, it only costing me $100 from May till October, play as much as I want for no added court fees except my own tennis balls for $4, that can last for at least 5 hours of play. Very inexpensive compared to weekly gas expense incurred while fishing.

Not pricey unless you are entering tournys,then its usually co boater pays the entry fee & boat owner pays fuel,etc.. If you can just make it out to the Forterie outdoors show because some members will be there to talk too from bass.

Fishing clubs are like any other club. You get out what you put in. That is true financially, and for time commitment and participation. Take the time to research different clubs, their programs and agendas.

I can't speak for every obn club but joining the hamilton bass masters was a great move. Annual dues are $50. And that's it. Of course there are extras but only if you want them. Do you want a club jersey, if so prolly around $75. Are your club meetings at a pub or restaurant? If so are you going to buy a beer or maybe an appetizer? Gas to and from the meetings which are held once a month. As for tourneys, depending on the distance from your home city you and the co-angler are responsible for splitting the days cost, the average tourney if it's not at your back door is around $200. $100 for both anglers, this includes truck gas to and from the launch, boat gas and entry fees. But again just because you are a member does not mean you have to fish tourneys. Another option is to volunteer your time at club tourneys., now there are some club members that are there to try to get to the classic,, club points, to angler of the year, to national contender etc....but that scenario doesn't fit with a lot of people. If you want to step up your game and meet some great people......join a club.

P.s between hamilton, st. Kitts and the Niagara club.......all across the board, a great and helpful bunch of people.

A bass (or any fishing) club is about camaraderie first and fishing second. Its always nice to be around other people with the same passion and "sickness" as you! Tournament fishing is fun and is a great way to test your ability in a competitive manner. Being apart of a club isn't just fishing, its about community involvement, conservation and fun.

Is tournament fishing what you really want to participate in or are you looking to be apart of a club experience for the education? One thing you have to realize, tournament fishing isn't cheap. Not to scare you, but with entry fees, gear and boater fees, its about $60 a tourney, we have a 9 tourney schedule. Now, you could win money...but most days you will be happy to break even. However, the experience on the water, hangin out with the other guys and learnin some new tricks has a different value for everyone, but it's one that I really enjoy.

Our meetings are always open to the public. We also have vendor nights and seminars that again, are open to the public. We will be at the Niagara Sportsmen Show with other clubs from the region, as well as the Niagara Outdoor Show running the "Casting Kids" area. If you want to PM me, I can steer you in the right direction as far as clubs in your area and club members to contact.

BEWARE, TOURNAMENT FISHING IS AN ADDICTION!

bass clubs are good if you don't have friends who fish in your area.

assuming you like bass of course.

paying for tournaments adds up quick....very quick...

and it also obligates you to that species.

example, i'm a multi species guy. if the kings are in my area, and are biting, thats what i'm fishing for. but maybe your club is having a tournament at some lake that weekend.... many don't understand that you might want to fish for a different species.....

unless you fish bass and nothing else, then a multi species fishing club would likely be better....at least understanding wise.....

as a non boater, you pay for gas, entry fee, lunch, and before you know it, your out a couple hundred dollars per tournament....

i played tennis for a number of years, that is likely the cheapest sport out there....fishing isn't golf, the most expensive sport, but it is close....

if i moved to a new area, and didn't have any fishing friends, i'd bite the bullet and give it a chance however.

St.Catharines club tournaments are $30.00 entry fee plus a SET NON BOATER FEE of between $35.00-70.00 per tournament depending on distance traveled. MOST ARE $40.00 range. A CLUB TOURNAMENT WILL COST IN TOTAL $70-$100 per. NOT A COUPLE HUNDRED!

The Strait Line Anglers club is a multi species club based out of Grimsby. Meetings are the 1st Tuesday of every month are free and open for ALL to attend. Club dues are $40.and that makes you elegible for our 10 species Big Fish contentst and our Angler of the Year points championship and our annual awards banquet. We do run many different derbies and tourneys all over Niagara and SW Ontario with very reasonable entry fees.

www.straitlineanglers.com

bass clubs are good if you don't have friends who fish in your area.

assuming you like bass of course.

paying for tournaments adds up quick....very quick...

and it also obligates you to that species.

example, i'm a multi species guy. if the kings are in my area, and are biting, thats what i'm fishing for. but maybe your club is having a tournament at some lake that weekend.... many don't understand that you might want to fish for a different species.....

unless you fish bass and nothing else, then a multi species fishing club would likely be better....at least understanding wise.....

as a non boater, you pay for gas, entry fee, lunch, and before you know it, your out a couple hundred dollars per tournament....

i played tennis for a number of years, that is likely the cheapest sport out there....fishing isn't golf, the most expensive sport, but it is close....

if i moved to a new area, and didn't have any fishing friends, i'd bite the bullet and give it a chance however.

Bass Club members still fish for other species...we aren't on the BASS Elite Series tournament trail. Walleye, trout, perch, crappie and panniers are all favourites within the club...so,no you don't need to give up every other species in the lake. Bass tourney season only runs from May to October/November, and are only every other weekend, if that, so lots of time to fish for other species. The Fall is one of the best times for big bass, so why would I stop fishing them.

I've been in the club for 5 years and I can honestly say I have never had to pay for lunch! LoL. I know the Timmy's in Chippawa has a dock but I still haven't hit the drive-thru for lunch. Peanut Butter sandwiches, apple and some snacks works for me. Usually, the entry fee is around $30 and about $30 for the boater unless a preset amount is discussed between the anglers. $60 bucks for a day of fishing on the boat is still cheaper than owning a boat!

...fishing like any sport is as expensive as you want it to be! Fishing is different for everyone!

We have some great fishing clubs that fish waters between Hamilton and Niagara Falls! The three closest B.A.S.S. OBN clubs, St.Catharines, Niagara Falls and Hamilton as well as clubs like the SLA and others.. Are a great way to make new friends and learn from some great anglers! You will find were more then just fishing! As was said before! You get out of it what you put into it! Do your home work and I'm sure you will be surprised as to what's out there and what you can learn from the above mentioned!

St.Catharines doesn't fish every other weekend and never said we did! I know a lot of guys that fish SLA tournaments including some of our members. Both clubs fish about the same # of tournaments per year! If you wish not to belong to a bass club...fine. Please stop trying to influence other people with false information.

There are still fees for SLA tournies...and no one forces you to fish every tourney! You fish how much you like. Being a part of a club is more than tournies, a lot more.

...and there is a reason its called Bassmasters and not Species-masters. We cater to bass afficianados. I'm sure there are other great tournament organizations out there as well.

Archived