Tri Mark Fishing Pole

cplummer

I picked up a tri mark fishing pole by south bend from a friend and looking for any info on it. It's 16' long and folds inside one tuble It's 6 piece with a line winder on the butt section. Looks like some sort of carp rod. It's fibreglass and very whippey. Ill post pics later. It's about 40 years old plus. Any info? Thanks

Didn't see it there Dave. This rod is mint condition too. Never seen a rod like it. Hunting for its value so I can sell it. Sure looks like a really old carp rod. Will post pics later

When I Googled trimark fishing rod , it appeared that they were made by South Bend, but their site doesn't show them. I'm with Bill on the panfish/crappie rod. There were shorter rods on my Google search selling around $40.

This ones very old and 16'. One guide on the tip section and a line keeper on the butt. The rod goes together by sliding one piece together at a time. Thanks for the help guys

Doing a little research it sounds as though it could be a beach fishing rod if it has a fixed line keeper. Similar to http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angler/Section/Tackle2/Sea-Angler-Fishing-Tackle/Fishing-Rods/Beach-rods/Greys-Triplex-FS-16ft-Beach-Fishing-Rod-/ Be interesting to see it. Have you got any pictures of it Cliff? You never know...my buddy bought a 1901 silver shakespear bait caster in mint condition at a garage sale for $5.00

• 2 months later...

This topic is near and dear to my heart. The rod was not made by South Bend. It was made by Trimarc corporation, invented by my dad, and sold through the early 80s. He made a full line of rods from 20 foot perch poles down to 4 foot ultralights. My favorite rod that he made is an 8 1/2 foot spinning/fly combo. All of the rods in his concealed line closed down to a manageable size for transport. The 16 foot with one guide was intended as a panfish pole. I leave the line about 3 feet longer than the pole, put a bobber on it, and let my 6 year old go to town on bluegills. If anybody has some of these laying around, I would be happy to take them off your hands, as me and my brothers are trying to corner the market on this little gem of our childhood. Fish on!

This topic is near and dear to my heart. The rod was not made by South Bend. It was made by Trimarc corporation, invented by my dad, and sold through the early 80s. He made a full line of rods from 20 foot perch poles down to 4 foot ultralights. My favorite rod that he made is an 8 1/2 foot spinning/fly combo. All of the rods in his concealed line closed down to a manageable size for transport. The 16 foot with one guide was intended as a panfish pole. I leave the line about 3 feet longer than the pole, put a bobber on it, and let my 6 year old go to town on bluegills. If anybody has some of these laying around, I would be happy to take them off your hands, as me and my brothers are trying to corner the market on this little gem of our childhood. Fish on!

The last time I saw someone fishing a long pole like that for pannies was years ago when I went to Floridaa. A very elderly woman in a straw hat was fishing a creek and cleaning up on blue gill and sunfish, which she was placing in her wicker basket next to her. Very throwback!

Thank you guys for welcoming me into your forum. The response is really heartwarming for me. And cplummer, I will take you up on that. I live near Chicago, but I was so excited to see people talking about my dad's rods I had to chime in. I was talking to my dad, Jim McKeown, who is 83 now, and he was touched by the interest in his life's work. He sold the company in 1982 because of failing health and I think secretly wishes he could have kept making rods forever. I learned almost everything I know about the sport from him, and it is a part of our family that I am eagerly passing on to my boys (and girl if she'll let me). Thanks again for the interest and I'll post some pics of the rods in action.

Great story dannyboy. Did your father build his own mandrels for these rods? Great offer Cliff to let him have a piece of his Dads history back. Im sure your Dad will light up seeing it again? Pretty interesting and coincidental the rod builders rod ends up in another rod builders hands. Be interested in seeing some of the building history and pictures.

Archived