Official Sheephead Day

pauly

I hereby deem Sunday, June 8 Lake Erie sheephead day. It was like they took over the whole lake. The bass had to act quick for a tube since the sheephead were all over it. Caught at leat 25. Guys were catching them on crankbaits and spinnerbaits too. Most I've ever seen or caught. Managed about 10 bass in the mix.

Yes .....fun to catch , strong fighters .........and bottom feeders . They may be detrimental to the bass fishery if they are dining on their eggs .

I tried a drum ....long time ago . It was only about 12" and I fried it with a smallie & a perch . The drum tasted better than the bass & was sweeter than the perch . As long as the water is clean , there is nothing wrong with eating the smaller drums up to a couple pounds . On the other hand , I saw a group take a dozen carp home to eat , averaging 15 lbs ,from Jordan ......think I would pass on those fish .... :unsure:

I get take-out from a Thai place near home and my favourite dish is Sambol Fish. There's no telling what kind of fish is in there, but it tastes great. I try not to think about it too much.

I ate a Sheepie from Hamilton Harbour. Once. On a dare.

Tasted pretty good. But yeah, not in a hurry to try it again anytime soon, haahaa.

They spawn around this time, fun getting into a mess of them for a fun afternoon fish.

I too have eaten the odd sheepie over the last couple of years.. was really surprised how good it tastes actually. I too wouldn't want to eat anything more than 2-3 lbs. When nothing else is going on these guys are mighty scrappers that is for sure. And sheepies can be used to make fish chowder.. the flesh is thick flaky and white :)

Nice white flesh. Better eating than Bass. Just a little on the ugly side :crazy: .................................Boog

Archived