Beauty Carp Today

Daniel8234

Hey Daniel....WOW , that looks like the 30 lb.+ carp I have been trying to catch ! It is also a nice looking carp with great colour . You say Delmonte eh ? Well , I better get some of that stuff & give Jordan another go soon ! :D How was the battle with that beast Daniel and how about a little info for smerch ......rod length , reel type , line strength (mono or braid).... hair rig or corn on hook , weight size . The smerch is still in the learning mode ..... :Gonefishing:

Hey Daniel....WOW , that looks like the 30 lb.+ carp I have been trying to catch ! It is also a nice looking carp with great colour . You say Delmonte eh ? Well , I better get some of that stuff & give Jordan another go soon ! :D How was the battle with that beast Daniel and how about a little info for smerch ......rod length , reel type , line strength (mono or braid).... hair rig or corn on hook , weight size . The smerch is still in the learning mode ..... :Gonefishing:

hey yeah delmonte and green giant seem to produce the same. I thought I was gonna lose this fish it put up a solid ten minute battle before it took a lap around a water intake pipe. Luckily I had my buddy with me who went in the water and scared the fish back around the pipe again. Took about 15 all together, was really taking my time as I had home Knicks in my line from the fish before. 10 ft Berkely lightning rod. It's really a trolling rod but I prefer it over other carp rods it's got a lot of give but it's a solid rod I can still pull on that and it handles the bigger ones nicely. 17lb fluorocarbon main to a bolt rig with a size 6 hook. 3/4 oz flat bell sinker, can't remember what their called. Using a penn cv2500 reel aswell. Gonna give it another go today. Went again last night with some homemade dough tied up and only had a take that shortly got off. I had some oatmeal cereal crushed up with a 1/4 cup water, cup of flour, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Might be back to corn again lol

Thanks Daniel , great info ! I also use my 10' Berkley rod with my 8 ' custom salmon rod (Fenwick blank) The Berkley is very light at the tip with a med.-heavy backbone which helps soften the hard head shakes when using braid . ....but it's not good to steer them away from the weeds or shoreline junk . I must try the heavy sinker/bolt method where there's some current . The big weights may scare them off in the 4' deep water I have been getting all my carp .....may be better to cast 30' over the chum and reel it in to the chum without causing a big splash with the 1 or 2 oz. hunk of lead . Good luck today . :Gonefishing:

Thanks Daniel , great info ! I also use my 10' Berkley rod with my 8 ' custom salmon rod (Fenwick blank) The Berkley is very light at the tip with a med.-heavy backbone which helps soften the hard head shakes when using braid . ....but it's not good to steer them away from the weeds or shoreline junk . I must try the heavy sinker/bolt method where there's some current . The big weights may scare them off in the 4' deep water I have been getting all my carp .....may be better to cast 30' over the chum and reel it in to the chum without causing a big splash with the 1 or 2 oz. hunk of lead . Good luck today . :Gonefishing:

I am also in the learning stages of catching these little piggies and have read a few little tips that are applicable Smerch. With the larger weights throw out a small handful of chum on the spot that you are about to cast too. A few small splashes of corn will scare them slightly off the feed so then throw out the rig. I have no idea if this works as I have caught too few carp to really understand patterns. But I figure if they are doing it over the pond in the uk then it probably has some merit to it.

One problem I have with using a heavy bolt sinker is that carp will hug bottom at times and if there are rocks , the weight could get hung up on them and cause a break off . I have been fishing shallow with no (little) current and mud bottom , so I can fish light with a sliding sinker ,about 3/8 oz. Sometimes a carp has hit the corn withing 5 seconds .....didn't have time to set the rod down......

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome fish man!

and did you notice he holds that beast like it was a small 9 pounder .....I would be in pain lifting that brute ! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daniel .......I caught 4 carp yesterday at Jordan . Their total weight would be about HALF of what that big brute weighed . I need some tips on how to get the hefty ones to bite my corn !! :lol:

....this brute must have been very close to 20 - 21 ounces ........ :)

SAM_4689.JPG

Smerchly, where at jordan did u find them? Under the bridge or harbour side?

I tried my old spot just west of the bridge on the harbour (pond) side but some bait fish or gobies were pecking my corn off . I moved under the bridge where I got 4 small carp ,from 1.5 lbs to 9 lbs . I lost a nice one ....took a hard run & the hook popped out ......reloaded the hook & hooked another good one & lost it after a few seconds ?? I believe the carp were not hungry and just nibbling and "scenting" the bait with their bellies . I hooked one under the gills and missed a few "slow rod bends " I tried the bolt rig using a 1.5 oz. sinker , but the gobies would steal the corn without knowing they were there . I went back to using the hair rig & 3/8 oz. slip sinker . ....caught a few gobies & a nice lake minnow which are plentiful . Here's a few pics.......

SAM_4687.JPG

SAM_4690.JPG

I think this is why I lost some fish .....not hooked in the mouth ....

SAM_4691.JPG

I never really noticed the dorsal fin before .....my rubber net has been stuck in those "tines" before and be tough getting it out !

SAM_4688.JPG

Man I've been working for the last 6 weeks straight I get a week off starting Saturday all these posts make me so jealous!! Even tho they're not the big boys your looking for Smerch probably still a blast to catch good stuff!

Ya Jer , I've been tempted to try the 9' ultra light rod with 8 lb. line on those smaller carp .....but I'd probably hook into a +30 lb. one and get spooled lol . I have used it there along the rocks with a float /worm rig to catch perch and catfish . I took some worms with me in case the carp were tight lipped again but they were biting on corn, although not like they were hungry . Maybe a change on the menu might get them big girls interested . Crazy weather today ....a few good downpours , so I'll keep my eye the winds etc. & get out for another go for both carp and pannies .

Archived