Asian Carp

Fonthill

No but there was two caught in the grand river in dunnville last year

they say that the fish were not sterile still thats not good

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/4157813-government-biologists-on-grand-river-are-a-first-line-of-defence-against-asian-carp/

Yes....if 2 were caught , how many haven't been caught ? There's a lot of water out there . I think L.Erie would be very suitable for them since its warmer and shallower than L.Ont. ,and lots of algae & weed growth to feed on . The world is getting much smaller as we trade with the pacific rim ,so we can expect all kinds of new invasive species to be shipped in . There are people here who wouldn't mind catching and eating these carp ....and may help populate our lakes with them . I think we are losing the battle.

I dont want to think about it it would be a disaster

for sure.they would be the manatee of the fish world as are fish depend on the vegetation .Out fishing the lake now

i don't see the weed beds as i use to i don't know why but they are gone

I really don't think we have the fish to do this and we can thank the people that

keep it from happening cause these fish are bad news trust me when i say you don't want

them is our waters but if it did happen it would be a great way to fish them out

Just think of the opportunities and challenges. Helmets may be mandatory for motorized boat operators? Time to cash in on that! ;)

Having a 30 lb.carp whack you in the head at 50 kph will take your head off . A helmet will not stop a broken neck ......ask a biker how it feels to have a sparrow smash into his helmet ....... :crazy:

I do know what it is like to get hit by a bird on a bike right in the chest .My chest was bruised for 2 week and hard to breath

so i dont think you would just end up with a bruise getting hit by this fish :crazy:

No sense debating the what if's. It's a done deal. Obama would not seal off the canal and hurt commerce. That would have been political suicide just before his second election run. His solution was to commission studies, which will then get sent to committee, and publicly addressed some 10 years later, after its already too late. Kinda similar to the way Canadian govt deals with political timebombs.

Hide it in the closet and hope the fuse is snuffed out by apathy.

A few years ago we discussed how fertilized eggs or fry may be carried by birds and dropped in inland ponds or other waters . I have seen minnows in pond in the middle of a bush in the Niagara area & wondered how they got there . Could this also happen with carp ? We have the know how to clean out fish populations using commercial trawlers etc like cod fish . Asian carp could be used for food for pets as well as for those people who will eat them .....or turn them into fertilizer for farms and consumers for their gardens , maybe some good money to be made from them .

well,the war against Asian carp has failed in US because the big guy too greedy: US gove spent tons of money on building dams / electric devices , these money goes to the big companies.

If the US gove. pays $1 for each fish, the poor people gets the money , and the fish would not last long....a much cheaper way.

This is all about politics.

boating with the protective nets around your boat does not look like fun, docking would definitely be a challenge . My son has a summer job on the whirlpool jet boats, it would certainly add an element of excitement to have to wear helmets and dodge fish at 60km,

honestly the fish in the vid are silver carp the carp that we are starting to see are grass carp

the but still a Asian carp

That's what I thought .......dealing with 3 species of Asian carp makes it even more difficult to keep them out of the lakes .......Like gobies, will they get into the Trent system and eventually into other lakes ? I hope cold winter water temperatures would kill them all , but it didn't faze the gobies , zebras ,fleas etc etc......

That's what I thought .......dealing with 3 species of Asian carp makes it even more difficult to keep them out of the lakes .......Like gobies, will they get into the Trent system and eventually into other lakes ? I hope cold winter water temperatures would kill them all , but it didn't faze the gobies , zebras ,fleas etc etc......

There is a lot of right ups on these fish and the way they keep them and the money

they are spending to do this i cant see it working forever

A few years ago we discussed how fertilized eggs or fry may be carried by birds and dropped in inland ponds or other waters . I have seen minnows in pond in the middle of a bush in the Niagara area & wondered how they got there . Could this also happen with carp ? We have the know how to clean out fish populations using commercial trawlers etc like cod fish . Asian carp could be used for food for pets as well as for those people who will eat them .....or turn them into fertilizer for farms and consumers for their gardens , maybe some good money to be made from them .

may be this is how the fish get there :wall:

http://kfor.com/2014/07/10/watch-officials-drop-hundreds-of-fish-from-plane/

Archived