First Ever Gar Pike

bbrt

Well went to fish Lake erie on Wed. Launched out of Maitland by 8am and was back on the trailer by 9. Waves were too much so we went to the upper grand and fished between Dunnville and Cayuga. Caught my first ever Gar Pike.

10488374_10154357230935529_5524871820942

10421286_10154357230765529_8592391400048

We also caught lots of small Channel Cats that were very healthy looking and two Walleye one very small and one eater. All in all it was a great day on the water.

Dave

Very cool i mounted one a guy caught in the grand up by the BBQ in dunville

it was 36 inches long and teeth like saw great catch

I used tin snips to cut through that armor plate skin they have . They are tough to catch and go berserk when hooked !

the reason gar gar are so hard to keep on the hook is one they go crazy and two they have no teeth for grinding up food only sharp pointed ones so they try to keep biting it to mangle up there prey so its easier to swallow all at once!! ( i watch allot of the discovery and animal channel )..

Surprised you hooked one...like others have said they usually bite you off. We jug line fish in Oklahoma where my wifes from, and we hook the odd big one accidental. Jug line fishing is done with heavy duty cord with circle hooks for big cats. We use about 8-10 hooks with a floating foam or jug marker, and set about 8 of those out for the day then check them again in the evening...usually a few hooks missing of every jug line by gar.

Actually it didn't fight real hard I kept it down in the water till my net man was ready and when I brought it up he scooped it right away. It was very cool to catch one though just to see it up close was awesome.

Dave

Actually it didn't fight real hard I kept it down in the water till my net man was ready and when I brought it up he scooped it right away. It was very cool to catch one though just to see it up close was awesome.

That's cool...congrats on the first gar!

Dave

An old timer once told me to put a cotton ball on the hook when fishing for gar their teeth acts like Velcro when its touches the cotton ball

Archived