Stupid Arrogant Poachers

Finsanity

On a river I check to see how the salmon are running in the area I dropped by today. This river is a sanctuary and is not to be fished from Oct 1st to the 4 weekend in April. I seen a ace and his see u next Friday wife, with fishing gear. I said politely to the two that this is a sanctuary and is not to be fished at this time of the year. Armed with their treble hooks and ugly stick 6 footh rods they replied with we don't care. I shrugged my shoulders and with a baby on the way held my temper. However I was smart enough to get a plate a car and a description of the two and called MNR. Hope they caught them.

Baileys? Great spot to bring the kids or to get some nice pictures. But leave the fishing gear at home or pay the heavy fines

I was there today Cliff ....water is very low ,even with some good rains lately . There were a few people on the rocks , looking around ....no nets or poles in hand . They may have been Mexican farm workers looking for salmon to eat maybe . I checked out the Jordan flea market also and found the water just a trickle at the bridge .....no salmon will make the falls this year......

SAM_5112.JPG

I was there today Cliff ....water is very low ,even with some good rains lately . There were a few people on the rocks , looking around ....no nets or poles in hand . They may have been Mexican farm workers looking for salmon to eat maybe . I checked out the Jordan flea market also and found the water just a trickle at the bridge .....no salmon will make the falls this year......

SAM_5112.JPG

I noticed that too. I was wanting to take my son for a walk there to watch but with lack of water it may not happen unless we get a big dumping of rain this week

On a river I check to see how the salmon are running in the area I dropped by today. This river is a sanctuary and is not to be fished from Oct 1st to the 4 weekend in April. I seen a ace and his see u next Friday wife, with fishing gear. I said politely to the two that this is a sanctuary and is not to be fished at this time of the year. Armed with their treble hooks and ugly stick 6 footh rods they replied with we don't care. I shrugged my shoulders and with a baby on the way held my temper. However I was smart enough to get a plate a car and a description of the two and called MNR. Hope they caught them.

Good on you man!

I noticed that too. I was wanting to take my son for a walk there to watch but with lack of water it may not happen unless we get a big dumping of rain this week

Saw one salmon dead under the bridge last week (Tuesday)... looked like it had been out of the water for awhile.. guess one of em thought they could make it... although it was in such an awkward place that I dont think it got there on its own methinks...

Ive got a stream near me that gets a very small salmon and trout run ... in a 2 km stretch one year I counted about a dozen trout ... seen a few hefty browns but mostly smaller rainbows. This year with how dry it has been ... I don't even think the stream is open into the lake yet ... might be after some of the rains ... but no sign of the fish ...

Always like watching in the spring when it starts to thaw ... tons of small fish working their way back down to the lake

Saw one salmon dead under the bridge last week (Tuesday)... looked like it had been out of the water for awhile.. guess one of em thought they could make it... although it was in such an awkward place that I dont think it got there on its own methinks...

saw that too. It had it belly slit and had a heavy rock placed on top on shore when I saw it.

saw that too. It had it belly slit and had a heavy rock placed on top on shore when I saw it.

That's the exact same way it was when I saw it /:

from what I have been told it became a sanctuary within the last say, 3-5 years?

like to see it in print. What are the boundaries?? Bailey Bridge , QEW ?? and how about 20 Mile above the escarpment is that closed too??

I went looking in the regulations to see if it was a sanctuary or not.... nothing in the regs...

like to see it in print. What are the boundaries?? Bailey Bridge , QEW ?? and how about 20 Mile above the escarpment is that closed too??

Good gravy they wont close above the escarpment ! No fish are making it past the lower falls at Balls Falls...

Besides... theres no fish in 20 Mile creek above the escarpment...none at all... :P

When did y'all move to St. Anns ? yesterday??? :roflblack:

My post was sarcastic :P

Ive been fishing the 20 just down from my house since i was 15 (so 7 years now). I've gotten permission from a landowner to walk their property line along the creek every year. Essentially its as close to my own private spot as Im ever going to get. The only thing i have to do is pick up any garbage i find, and dont trample the crops.

I personally think the area between Balls Falls and Smithville is under rated as far as a great fishery. Ok, maybe not great, but with worms in that creek I have caught everything from : Largies, Rock Bass, Carp (up to 10 pounds), bullheads, sunfish, the occasional snapping turtle, and a small bowfin once. I've also seen a friend catch a small pike in the creek. Most of the creek is on private property, so not alot of areas to fish, unless you get landowner permission.

Pretty sure in last year's or 2012 edition it said that but I did look online recently and it said nothing. I have talked to a few co's at Bailey and they seemed to treat it like a sanctuary. Maybe someone could inquire with an email?

I think the CO's like people to have that impression , might make the situation there a little better.

Jmo 1685, good chance those small pike maybe be Grass Pickerel. I went to high school at the old PDHS in Fenwick back in the 60's with lots of kids from the St Anns area, was maybe even a better spot back then to drown some worms.

What species orher than salmon or trout are at baileys?

I have seen carp and sunfish ... but if your casting your trouting salmoning or snagging ... or tresspassing if your walking to where it empties into jprdan harbour

Pretty much a little bit of everything at Baileys, more opportunities the lower down creek you go.

Twenty Creek actually starts up near the Hamilton Airport, not far from the start of the Welland River. Bet there is 30 to 40 miles of creek and opportunity above the Bailey rather than a mile or so below if you include Jordan Harbour.

There must be a section for fall sanctaurys as none of the bronte is in the list as well which is part of zone 20. The only sanctaurys are the April to May ones listed which makes things difficult when trying to explain the regs to a newbie

Archived