Coyote St.catharines

pike007

They are surprised LOL, you got niagara on the lake 1 min away just over the canal , which has a large coyote population. I live in st catharines Ive seen them many times around the canal area.

http://www.610cktb.com/news/2014/11/27/large-coyote-spotted-in-north-end-of-st-catharines

As if this the first coyote ever spotted , just because it was by a school, a crowd of kindergarten kids running screaming at recess is enough to scare that yote back to the bush :)

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN THINK OF THE CHILDREN WE NEED TO KILL ALL ANIMALS OFF TO SAVE THE CHILDREN

DEATH TO ANYTHING NOT DOMESTICATED.

i hate people sometimes. I live in suburbia. I have a coyote shi×ting in my back yard ... i dont care. My neighbors dont care. It cant read a property map and say OH I SHOULDNT BE THERE

Its like that out west with grizzly bears, cougars and the odd wolf. A seen animal is a basically a dead animal.

How about 2 local municipalities that called out the SWAT teams to deal with a Bear within city limits. One team took only 4 shots to drop the bear. The other team, over 20 rounds fired. Up north that is not allowed.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN THINK OF THE CHILDREN WE NEED TO KILL ALL ANIMALS OFF TO SAVE THE CHILDREN

i hate people sometimes. I live in suburbia. I have a coyote shi×ting in my back yard ... i dont care. My neighbors dont care. It cant read a property map and say OH I SHOULDNT BE THERE

"DEATH TO ANYTHING NOT DOMESTICATED" .....not quite snags .....That slimy pathetic excuse for a man , M.Bryant decided the Lib.government should kill all the Staffies . ....my #1 reason they will never see my vote . Let mother nature take care of our wild animals . I used to see the odd yote from my window ,until the new hood went up .....

This was in the paper 15 to 20 years ago ... nothing new to residents of north st kitts. Last write up some lady was upset a coyote ate her cat, this time they are coming for the children .... the yotes around here are wolf like in that they pack up. Fishing some secluded areas in niagara i have heard them and their communications with the other yotes you can hear them moving en masse.

a pack of yotes in a subdivision would be concerning. One coyote isnt.

Search out vancouver .... they have had similar issues

mind you just because you have a nice white picketfence ... wont stop a coyote.

I wouldn't take that bet. I know they are there. I live minutes away and have seen enough evidence in the surrounding areas (even a few yotes).

There is enough parkland along the lake between port dalhousie and port wellar to support a few dens. They do not need much space to find a spot to call home and all the sloped land along the lake front has enough rotted out trees to allow from some easy den construction into the banks.

I've seen them running around in secord woods st.catharines leaving afternoon shift, and one behind the mr.sub at bunting and welland Ave across from walmart. I've only lived in this part of town 8 months. Also saw a deer in my neighbors yard on carlton figure the coyotes chased her there

IMG_20140623_132951_zps0d710c3b.jpg

I think that if a coyote is hanging around a school where children are playing or in a neighbor hood there is something wrong with it or it is rabid. In a case like this it is better to have it put down. When a wild animal loses its fear of humans it can be dangerous.

i don't think there rabid...think about the new outlet mall and the golf course and the subdivisions that have all been built out by white oaks and now think about how much bush they just levelled...the animals that lived or hunted in that area have to go somewhere...what better place then a subdivision full of cats and rabbits to hunt

Honestly, it is not about taking over places where they live. In the 50's and 60's brush wolves as they were more likely called then were very rare in Niagara. They gained ground in the 70's, till I started hunting with a crew out Dunville way for them about 76. Fur prices, we sent them to the fur auction, was about 50 bucks for a yote, good money, about a days pay back then at union rates. The population has since grown with depressed fur prices and it is more a case of the yote population being so high that they are invading urban spaces cause they have overpopulated the rural spaces plus living is good for them in a suburban setting once they accept the presence of people and easy meals. Today there are both deer and coyotes in areas that you would never see them 50 years ago.

well after the bounty was lifted on them ,the population grows and they move into new areas because there are so many of them....then what happens ,they level bush too build malls and subdivisions...now where do they go when other yotes are living in the adjacent bush....into the subdivisions where there is no competition...so i believe to some degree loss of habitat is to blame along with population growth....25 years ago i used to fish the old canal behind gm...we used to run into yotes out there all the time ,some with pups...this was well before the golf course and subdivisions and malls and hotels...back then secord woods still had bush that backed on to the welland canal parkway....urban sprawl is slowly taking away habitat that animals hunt and survive in...the reason you never saw deer and yotes in areas 50 years ago was cause nobody built houses or roads in that area ...now that urban sprawl has crept in people are seeing them and not liking it...they were probably always there but until people started building roads and houses they were never seen....you can't build a subdivision right at the base of the escarpment and not expect to run into yotes or other animals..that being said dunnville and secord woods are two very different areas

The Escarpment is one big Yote & deer highway. My dogs are chasing Yotes out of parks in downtown Hamilton for chrissakes. Up here there are definitely packs of them, and they are definitely taking down deer. My house is not even in the suburbs and I hear them at night.

I used to run my dogs through the local woods but there are simply too many Yotes around here to do that anymore.

The amazing thing about all these discussions on yotes, bears deer, etc... is this...

The center of the argument is man. We meddle, interfere, reshape nature as we se fit. There are consequences to all this activity. Then we moan and complain about the consequences we were instrumental in creating.

In the case of the coyote, we have taken away their competition, the wolf. Then to control numbers, we had a bounty and the fur industry to control numbers. Take away the bounty and hunting and the population grows again. Take away habitat and we don't like how they are adapting. And for some reason we just can't accept the results of "man's" (in the collective sense) actions.

Think about the Great Lakes. Every problem the watershed faces is a result of human intervention. Starting with the lamprey, right up to the soon to be invasion of Asian carp.

Funny its generally the very same people that oppose hunting trapping etc, that cry out when a wild animal enters their suburbia.

Don't kill them but don't let them live near me either.

I guess we need to teach wild animals to read.

I work out of thorold, and there has been a couple coyote sightings in our yard. I laugh because they email everyone that works out of that building about the incident, what a coyote is and what to do if you see one. Mind you the sightings are in the early am hours. Probably through the security cameras (we have cats that live in/around our parking lot) so you know why they're wandering though.

I always laugh as I drive through the city at night and see dozens of coyotes running around in the middle of it,

If the general population had any idea how many wild animals lived in the city they would lose their minds.

I always laugh as I drive through the city at night and see dozens of coyotes running around in the middle of it,

If the general population had any idea how many wild animals lived in the city they would lose their minds.

It's really frustrating seeing all them turkeys in the middle of St Catharines and Thorold

Archived