Ice Coverage This Year Vs Last Year

CamG14

Hi,

I just saw this on the Weather Network and thought you hard water guys might find it interesting.

As of today Dec 27 2014:

Lake Erie has 0% ice coverage last year at this time 19.6% was covered with ice.

Lake Ontario as of today 0% last year this time 1.96%

Lake Huron as of today 2% is frozen over, last year at this time 23.3%

Lake Michigan as of today 1.3% is frozen over, last year at this time 16.9%

Lake Superior as of today 0.3% frozen, last year 5.2%

Pond in my back yard as of today 0% frozen, last year 100%

Hope you guys get a chance to get out soon, and when you do Stay Safe.

Cam

Hi,

I just saw this on the Weather Network and thought you hard water guys might find it interesting.

As of today Dec 27 2014:

Lake Erie has 0% ice coverage last year at this time 19.6% was covered with ice.

Lake Ontario as of today 0% last year this time 1.96%

Lake Huron as of today 2% is frozen over, last year at this time 23.3%

Lake Michigan as of today 1.3% is frozen over, last year at this time 16.9%

Lake Superior as of today 0.3% frozen, last year 5.2%

Pond in my back yard as of today 0% frozen, last year 100%

Hope you guys get a chance to get out soon, and when you do Stay Safe.

Cam

Well ....were getting there , colder this week as Cliff said . About another 89 % more ice to go and we will be ready to go ...... :coldsmiley:

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/great-lakes-frozen/

I have been in discussion with a few simcoe operators that I have become acquainted with over the years. They are predicting a January 15-20 start date for operations on perch grounds based on the current predictions for the first 2 weeks of January.

last year I was on 20 inches of ice on the bof q in an area that is normally not safe anytime. the bay was frozen all through the narrows you can run an atv along the shore all the way to desoronto. narrows had 3 inches which is normally open. don't expect to be on for a while. this cold is only for a few days then a warm up and back to cold. be safe.

I was out fishing Chemong yesterday on 5 inches of ice. Finally got a skim of ice over my hot spot on Quinte. Behind big time this year, but that just meant putting in the quality time with the family and fishing like crazy from this point on.

Lot's of floating ice at the peace bridge today, but the waves all but slushified them LOL. Shore ice (shove) is present from Fort Drerie to Crystal Beach. Water level was way up at Bertie Bay club.

I could not check out Pleasant as the blowing sand made it impossible to get over the dune.

Cheers,

LT

Archived