Worst Fishing Purchase Ever?

MOE FISHIN

Ok NFNers... the credit card bills Have arrived... and so has the buyers remorse. Time for a chat.

What was you worst fishing purchase EVER?

I have two.

1. No name fishing line for the kids. Seemed like it was made in the birdsnest factory and had better memory than my motheriNlaw.

2. Found a cheap cottage up north. Toilet backed up, fridgedoor broke, and steps cracked... all in the first hour. Good thing we brought our own duct tape. To top it off, trust me there was more... the ownwers truck broke down while dropping us off at a back lake.

" Better memory than my mother in law " ...that is funny !!

Good call on the duct tape .... a must have fixer upper !

My worst fishing purchase that I can recall so far was a 11' 6" Browning noodle rod that broke the second time I used it ......broke just past the joint in the middle while casting a small body bait ........Store wanted ME to send it out for repair or replacement .....fixed it myself (no duct tape ) :)

Mine was a bass boat when I trusted people.Engine exploded not long after I bought it & it ended up having a lot of other issues that were hidden.$4 G'S down the toilet :slap:

Mine was a spinning reel, a quantum re2 xti....it was a $200 reel when new, it was sent back for a broken anti-reverse, came back with a faulty drag. Then when I got it back a second time the anti-reverse broke again, after that came back from repair the stem snapped right where your fingers hold the reel. Ever since that came back my handle can't really turn easily and feels gummy whenever it gets cold or ive used it for a prolonged period, to the point where I can't turn the handle anymore. I bought another $25 quantum ultralight reel at the time and it's worked as good as day one, go figure. Needless to say no more quantum reels for me

My worst ever was in the 80's i bought a shitmano stradic. One single cast and the shaft bent. I sent it back right away as it had a warentee BUT they said it was not a manufactors defect but it was entirerly my fault for abusing the reel.. Really .....one cast?? I have yet to even think of buying another shitmano product.

No complaints about any of the shitmano gear I've accumulated over the years but have encountered several okuma lemons. The worst was a $180 reel that barely lasted a season before becoming clunky, then the reel seat broke when I tried to take it off the rod. Two okuma bait cast rods broke 4" from the tip, not abuse at all. I've broken several shitmano rods but every one of them were my own fault.

Fenwick ice rod i purchased sat...broke the tip first time out. The two cheap ones i have still going strong. Not sure if Fenwick has a warranty on ice rods. Was only $23 anyway.

Korkers Chrome wading boots.....junk. one season soles fell off.

Cheap wading jacket i bought to make due $130 wasted.

Figured out over the years to buy things once...pay me now or pay again later.

Fenwick ice rod i purchased sat...broke the tip first time out. The two cheap ones i have still going strong. Not sure if Fenwick has a warranty on ice rods. Was only $23 anyway.

Korkers Chrome wading boots.....junk. one season soles fell off.

Cheap wading jacket i bought to make due $130 wasted.

Figured out over the years to buy things once...pay me now or pay again later.

Ah crap I just replaced the Snitch with a Fenwick Elite Tech UL. Hopefully I have better luck.

Fenwick used to be great rods .....My old 80's custom salmon rod is now my prime carp rod & still holding the fort ( 30#carp last fish caught) My other 80's Fenwick Black Hawk 9' ultralight was bought at the NF plant & still one of my favs. Has quality gone out the door as some makers (most) have moved production to China ? ( Berkley, Mustad, Shimano, etc etc) . All my ice rods are cheapies , from extra light to med.heavy ( for those big Quinte eyes) , and only one rod had the tip eye come off ....fixed with a drop of epoxy . I went to CT yesterday , just to get out for a while and saw a 12'6" Shimano light action (4-8lb) rod .....looked very cheap and not worth the 100 bucks IMO .......I think some of these well known companies are just hurting their reputations by stamping out run of the mill fishing equipment .......

My worst purchase, and I don't blame them. But Petes brand 1/8 oz jig head with red hook. The hooks were supposed to be 2 strong. So I used them floating minnows at the pool. go figure the fishing was hot and I was hooking fish often , and every time I had a fish on they would straighten the hook in a matter of two head shakes. Maybe the pack was just a lemon. But I havnt bought them since.

Ah crap I just replaced the Snitch with a Fenwick Elite Tech UL. Hopefully I have better luck.

Haha....I broke mine by abuse. I was holding it by the tip in a bent loaded position, and when a fish bit...letting go of the tip to set the hook. Dumb thing to do but i was watching the fish over the hole instead of sitting back...lol.

Mine was a spinning reel, a quantum re2 xti....it was a $200 reel when new, it was sent back for a broken anti-reverse, came back with a faulty drag. Then when I got it back a second time the anti-reverse broke again, after that came back from repair the stem snapped right where your fingers hold the reel. Ever since that came back my handle can't really turn easily and feels gummy whenever it gets cold or ive used it for a prolonged period, to the point where I can't turn the handle anymore. I bought another $25 quantum ultralight reel at the time and it's worked as good as day one, go figure. Needless to say no more quantum reels for me

It may need to be cleaned and regreased. Probably not that big of deal, may be worth the money to service it.

" Better memory than my mother in law " ...that is funny !!

Good call on the duct tape .... a must have fixer upper !

My worst fishing purchase that I can recall so far was a 11' 6" Browning noodle rod that broke the second time I used it ......broke just past the joint in the middle while casting a small body bait ........Store wanted ME to send it out for repair or replacement .....fixed it myself (no duct tape ) :)

Yup also a browning rod for me.... Just casting spinner baits off a friends dock up at his cottage... And the store I purchased it from refused to exchanged it. ( it was brand new!)

Put a sour taste in my mouth with that store since.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Okuma baitcaster ......junk as soon as it got close to zero deg outside the gears slipped drag didnt work..... total crap. Also any new shimano reels with the lighter junk gearing. Oh most of anything bass pro brand too... Chinese made junk Overpriced and garbage (most of it)

My number one was a daiwa reel with the twitch bar my wife told me I didn't need got it and it sacked and broke I acted like I loved it so my wife wouldn't say I told u so. Unfortunate for me she's a gem and when it broke she bought me another one haha it's got alot of dust on it.

Haha yea maybe its not meant to be used just to look at like most bp fishermen do oooo burn

nice troll btw its nice when you're new somewhere and try to contribute then get trolled. What was the point of that comment? The topic is worst purchases i clearly fish alot and for along time been through alot of gear because i put the boots to it. i was pretty sure that sort of thing (trolls) were supposed to be against the forum rules. Granted it wasn't a full out troll but trolley enough for me to be a bit bothered By it. Nasty people feel better about themselves by pretending to be 'above' somebody else well, hope u feel like ur the best fishermen behind a computer screen!!!!

How are you supposed to post and discuss to get post count to get into locked forums when you say something you get belittled by current members. shame on you.

Knock on wood, I've been pretty lucky with boats and equipment over the years. I'd have to second the gulp minnows, and the other thing that comes to mind are Fabril Minnow Aerator pumps. I've have bought two over the years and both died almost immediately. Also bought a large Rapala filet knife last year with rubber handle and it is garbage, blade is good but handle is cheap and loose.

Archived