Getting The Carp Gear Ready

Angler files

Im starting to get the Carp gear ready for this season. Stocking up on weights, tying rigs. Even picked up a few waggler floats to try some new tactics this year. Anyone else starting this early?

Even getting tings ready to start making my own boilies again this year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as preparation I have been doing research on new spots and tactics. I will leave the purchasing until some good sales pop up in the area, peters etc.. Sold half my fishing gear to invest in carp gear though! I want to hit the 20lb club this season haha! Going to be making my own chum this year. Ill probably stick to corn hair rigs. With this brutal cold who knows how late the carp will start appearing. Definitely excited though. I miss hearing the kerplunk of my weight! Let alone a screaming drag hahaha!

Same here YY ! I'm always experimenting ....like to try my own ideas for rigging and keep the baits simple . I had a blast at Jordan last year using hair rigs & corn , starting in early May & got my first 30# carp in October . Looking to get a carp sling shot for fishing the lake this year & want to give Quinte a try in the heavy weed beds (50 lb PP line) . I also want to try a bolt rig this spring ......when they set the hook themselves there's no warning when they hit and go ballistic ! We will have to meet up some time....... >((((()> :Gonefishing:

Sounds like a lot of us are itchin' to get carpin'.

Over the winter I make sure I've got a few carp fishing books on the go, so I can atleast read about it. LOL I go to Amazon.ca and just do a search on 'carp fishing' and a ton of books come up; mostly from England and great reads!

Then, I just wait for the north shore of Hammy Harbour to be ice free and then the real fun begins! A few winters ago, we had that mild spring and the carp were hitting in March! I don't think we're gonna be that lucky this year, unfortunately.

So, just tying hair rigs and hook links to keep me busy for now.

Got my Ont.Out Doors mag today. Lonnie King has a writeup about carp fishing and baits . I want to try a few local spots this year where guys have told me they saw some real fatties in the Port Dal. area . I tried the Welland Ship Canal side of Port Weller last summer , perfect water for big ol' Lake O carp , but the gobies were relentless eating up the corn .......got to try to outwit those scavengers !

If you want numbers, there are hundreds of carp up for a fight at Charles daley park in the spring. I always knock them around with my kayak its so funny. I have been told if you want big fat slob carp lake Gibson is a good water. Nobody gives up exactly where they fish but that water produces nice sizes. I don't see many gobies anymore. I only got one last season. I also picked up a 17lb carp in Jordan on the rowing side where the flowing water comes in. I hope she's a bit bigger this year for me haha! I am going to try fishing right into the lake this year, going to get my hands on a longer distance casting carp rod with a 3lb curve so I can launch it out there. Plus that way I can lounge on the beach instead of the mud! Investing in a good set of waders this year too, no sinking knee deep in mud this year!

Got my Ont.Out Doors mag today. Lonnie King has a writeup about carp fishing and baits . I want to try a few local spots this year where guys have told me they saw some real fatties in the Port Dal. area . I tried the Welland Ship Canal side of Port Weller last summer , perfect water for big ol' Lake O carp , but the gobies were relentless eating up the corn .......got to try to outwit those scavengers !

We have quite the Gobie problem in Hamilton Harbour too. Using maize that's boiled only slightly so it still remains hard usually stops the little beggars from being able to clean 'em off a hair rig.

We have quite the Gobie problem in Hamilton Harbour too. Using maize that's boiled only slightly so it still remains hard usually stops the little beggars from being able to clean 'em off a hair rig.

Thanks for the tip , I'll have to get a bag of maize and pre-drill it for the hair . I was thinking about trying cooked marcaroni and filling them with some stink food . Tinned cat food is cheap and stinks well !

Ya, I get the maize so it's only just soft enough for the threading needle to be able to forcefully pierce it. Goodluck Smerch. That 30+ you caught last year was a real beaut!

Thanks Mike , that old girl should be 35 lbs this summer , if I feed her well enough :D . I didn't use the needle much to thread the canned corn on to the hair since I use 20 lb. mono and cut the hair on a 45* angle to push the hair itself through the corn & used a piece of elastic band , with a single tight knot and trimmed to 1/8" tabs ....works great as a stopper . For harder materials such as puffed corn , I pushed a pin through it & then pushed the hair through it .......it will work with the maize too .

...here is a set up using puffed corn . It has a hard outer shell and they float . After about 15 minutes in the water the corn gets soft and may come off the hair if reeling in quickly ....you will see it floating on the surface if it comes off the hair or hook .....I pushed a pin through each piece , threaded it on the line , & attached the elastic for the stopper ......very good success with this rig last summer ....got the 30# carp on it using 3 pieces of canned corn ......used the Green Giant corn ....they say it catches giant fish ! :bb2:

SAM_5589.JPG

I've been checking the grocery flyers regularly for some ingredients to go on sale for my homemade carp bait. Usually make 2 batches, one a strawberry flavour, and one a corn and vanilla flavour. Last summer I found that the strawberry flavour worked a lot better when the water was murky, and the corn flavour worked well in clearer water. I was pleasantly surprised at how effective they both were. Even caught a 30ish pounder on the corn one. (I have a thread on the Forum, might post a picture tomorrow when I'm not working). Getting a new rod this spring and waiting for ice out to get out there ... Eventually...

• 2 weeks later...

If you want numbers, there are hundreds of carp up for a fight at Charles daley park in the spring. I always knock them around with my kayak its so funny. I have been told if you want big fat slob carp lake Gibson is a good water. Nobody gives up exactly where they fish but that water produces nice sizes. I don't see many gobies anymore. I only got one last season. I also picked up a 17lb carp in Jordan on the rowing side where the flowing water comes in. I hope she's a bit bigger this year for me haha! I am going to try fishing right into the lake this year, going to get my hands on a longer distance casting carp rod with a 3lb curve so I can launch it out there. Plus that way I can lounge on the beach instead of the mud! Investing in a good set of waders this year too, no sinking knee deep in mud this year!

remember if your sitting in your yak fishing lake o (not the bays) you can run two rods.

i am going to try bottom fishing with a float this year. i normally watch my rod tip or run a bolt rig

If they lake is still enough this spring I am going to fishing 100ft from shore with two rods for carp out of my yak, should be a hell of a sleigh ride. If its choppy ill head inshore.

I seen dried corn maize stuff at TSC for sale. I think its a 10kg bag for $10. good for chum or mixing it with something wet and making tossable chum balls. just a heads up if anyone is looking for some.

ive only ever caught one carp from my kayak and it was amazing. luckily I was anchored haha!

I'm getting a little impatient .....think I'll take one carp rig with me tomorrow and give Martindale Pond a go at Rennie . A big carp was spotted there yesterday ,so maybe it is still in the area... with a few friends ......I got some oats/corn mix ready for chum & a few chopped shrimp for dessert , & some frisky little minnows for the perch/pike that may be hungry . I hope 10# mono on my Sahara 750 will do the job .....will try corn on a hair rig for a start ..... :Gonefishing:

Targetting carp through the ice must be a first. You're a poineer Smerch! Just don't take your 4-inch auger...

Ha ha ...I took the 8" auger today ....chummed the hole with a small hand full of oats & cream corn , then dropped a corn filled hair rig down the hatch ......2 hours and no bites . I used live minnows on the second rod ....no bites . Went to Timmies for chilli ,toast & coffee and went back out to deeper water for perch or pike drilled 2 more 6" holes , fished for an hour & notta . Went out to my deepest spots , drilled 2 more holes....put on a larger minnow & got a 7" perch right off the bat .....no more bites for over an hour ....headed home ....slowwww day indeed ! NO :skunk: today :D

edit......need to find out what the best bait to use for ice fishing carp ......corn doesn't seem to interest them in the cold water ......maybe something hot like meatballs .......

If they lake is still enough this spring I am going to fishing 100ft from shore with two rods for carp out of my yak, should be a hell of a sleigh ride. If its choppy ill head inshore.

I seen dried corn maize stuff at TSC for sale. I think its a 10kg bag for $10. good for chum or mixing it with something wet and making tossable chum balls. just a heads up if anyone is looking for some.

ive only ever caught one carp from my kayak and it was amazing. luckily I was anchored haha!

never yaked for carp but my experience with them is they dont come into the lake shoreline until the water gets warmer ... june would be earliest i have seen numbers along the shoreline ... less you found a spawning spot. Saw one years ago ... it was pure carp pr0n with how many there were ... amazing to see and some real whales.

if you are getting out in april drag a spoon ... you will get salmon and trout.

carp will be in full swing early. Its all about where you go. Go to the shallow water, on the north shore that warms up the fastest......and that is where they will be! - good luck out there everyone!

If a guy was going to fish first thing in the morning would it help to chum a spot the night before i know when i fish the last 2 hours

before switching over to the night fishing for cats i would chum the spot that i'm fishing for carp as i fish that spot and that helps

but your looking at 1 maybe 2 carp for the night i was just thinking that if you chum the night before you could walk into a feeding frenzy

of carp witch would be cool if the bullheads don't clean it up before the carp find it if there is any info or other ways to go about it

any advise would be grateful as i am just starting to get into carp fishing did a bit last summer didn't do great wan't to do better this year

There's a ton of ice and snow to melt off before the water is open in my carp spots , & I expect a lot of run off soon which will make some spots very muddy ....may need glow in the mud baits lol . I ice fished for them at Rennie but no takers & was wondering if the carp are feeding on these little creatures for their food base while under the ice....lots of these on the weeds ......

SAM_5648.JPG

Any carpers out there who use heavy soft line for their rigs ? I seen some vids with guys using soft line on the hair rigs or bolt rigs , I was thinking of using some 50 -80 # braid to make up a few rigs . I found a way to incorporate a piece of 20# mono on a hair rig to push through soft corn , and also using a carp needle to thread on the bait on an all soft line , The line here is cheap 25 # black nylon/rayon bait casting line . It should be more sensitive than my 20# mono rigs ......

SAM_5652.JPG

Archived