Getting The Carp Gear Ready

Angler files

gunner ----- something one needs to think about is what exactly the water is holding. an example is as follows.......

I know the water I fish holds schools of fish in the hundreds that are at minimum 12 lbs or more. These fish can easily eat 1lb of bait each in a day!. So what does that tell me? It tells me that I could bait up 100lbs of bait and these fish could clean my area in ONE DAY! - so then we ask ourselves....... how much bait is enough, how much is too much. Now when we think about bullheads we know these fish typically do NOT exceed 1 lb. And in reality there will never be much more than say 50 of these fish in the water I am fishing simply because they are outnumbered by large and predatory fish. So if a bullhead can eat 1/12 of the its weight.......they will never clean an area baited for carp. Additionally a baited area for carp, that is getting interest from bullheads and other small fish will naturally draw in the carp out of interest in "what the heck are these little ones eating"

long story short - don't worry about bull heads, and don't worry about over feeding. If you are really worried about over feeding introduce a ground bait that will keep the fish in the area without over feeding......... oats, chicken feed and so on.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smerchly - very interesting rig. Just a small heads up.....the purpose of subtle hair rig material is make the bait move naturally......typically in popped up baits. To incorporate a stiff mono on a subtle rig is contradictory in my opinion.... I think you may be overthinking it.. I will post a picture of the easiest rig to tie that will massively improve your catch rates! When you see it.......you will laugh.

gunner ----- something one needs to think about is what exactly the water is holding. an example is as follows.......

I know the water I fish holds schools of fish in the hundreds that are at minimum 12 lbs or more. These fish can easily eat 1lb of bait each in a day!. So what does that tell me? It tells me that I could bait up 100lbs of bait and these fish could clean my area in ONE DAY! - so then we ask ourselves....... how much bait is enough, how much is too much. Now when we think about bullheads we know these fish typically do NOT exceed 1 lb. And in reality there will never be much more than say 50 of these fish in the water I am fishing simply because they are outnumbered by large and predatory fish. So if a bullhead can eat 1/12 of the its weight.......they will never clean an area baited for carp. Additionally a baited area for carp, that is getting interest from bullheads and other small fish will naturally draw in the carp out of interest in "what the heck are these little ones eating"

long story short - don't worry about bull heads, and don't worry about over feeding. If you are really worried about over feeding introduce a ground bait that will keep the fish in the area without over feeding......... oats, chicken feed and so on.

Thanks BCLT for the tip i'm going to try it your info is greatly appreciated

Smerchly - very interesting rig. Just a small heads up.....the purpose of subtle hair rig material is make the bait move naturally......typically in popped up baits. To incorporate a stiff mono on a subtle rig is contradictory in my opinion.... I think you may be overthinking it.. I will post a picture of the easiest rig to tie that will massively improve your catch rates! When you see it.......you will laugh.

Thanks for the tips BCLT ....that's my problem , always over thinking & making things more complicated lol Most of the carp baits stay on bottom . Sometimes there's a thin covering of slimy green algae on the bottom & I try to keep the bait from moving to help keep the algae from covering the corn , bread , etc. Using the puffed corn helps with this issue as it floats . If there is current , a bolt rig with a 2 oz rig helps keep the bait from moving . I did well last year using 3/8 oz. egg sinker in 4 fow using a hair rig with 20# mono.

carp will be in full swing early. Its all about where you go. Go to the shallow water, on the north shore that warms up the fastest......and that is where they will be! - good luck out there everyone!

this is bang on. my early season spot at times is 10 deg warmer then the water water it attaches to.

i run a small free sliding weight and sweet corn in march early april. i hold the handle , keep a finger on the line and watch the tip. i have quicker reaction this way and i think you need it in the spring. i do far better this way then then a bolt rig in the early season

if you are chumming feed corn try adding chilli powder to it. it rocks in april

this is bang on. my early season spot at times is 10 deg warmer then the water water it attaches to.

i run a small free sliding weight and sweet corn in march early april. i hold the handle , keep a finger on the line and watch the tip. i have quicker reaction this way and i think you need it in the spring. i do far better this way then then a bolt rig in the early season

if you are chumming feed corn try adding chilli powder to it. it rocks in april

Sounds good dwc......I have never tried adding "spices" to my baits .....heard that Frank's hot sauce works too . How about the bread balls ? ...not much said about bread which I think will hold a scent longer than corn ......

If they lake is still enough this spring I am going to fishing 100ft from shore with two rods for carp out of my yak, should be a hell of a sleigh ride. If its choppy ill head inshore.

I seen dried corn maize stuff at TSC for sale. I think its a 10kg bag for $10. good for chum or mixing it with something wet and making tossable chum balls. just a heads up if anyone is looking for some.

ive only ever caught one carp from my kayak and it was amazing. luckily I was anchored haha!

Got a question for you YY ......if you hook into a big carp & it pulls your yak around the lake , what do you do with the other rod that may be dragging bottom , get hung up etc.......it could be real chaos out there lol

While in the Bulk Barn today I got some hemp powder ....dark brown in colour . It may help bring in the carp by mixing some in various baits . Bread balls & oats would be a good candidate to mix in some of this powder .....It can be used for cooking recipes , but it's not cheap !

In my head I am thinking I would reel in the other rod as much as possible while the carp ran with my bait. only need one hand to let the carp run. But it wouldn't definitely be one of the those "in the moment" decisions. If it happens I will let you know what I did haha!
Yea bulk barn is expensive, by weight purchasing always gets me. Costco may have bulk options for cheaper, just a thought.

I mixed a tiny amount of the hemp powder with a teaspoon of hot water , and it sure smells like hemp seeds .....looks promising for the trials this year . There is a ton of stuff to try in those bins to flavour your baits .

In my head I am thinking I would reel in the other rod as much as possible while the carp ran with my bait. only need one hand to let the carp run. But it wouldn't definitely be one of the those "in the moment" decisions. If it happens I will let you know what I did haha!

Yea bulk barn is expensive, by weight purchasing always gets me. Costco may have bulk options for cheaper, just a thought.

i use 2 stakeout poles threw the scuppers when i carp fish in the yak. this holds me in place

if the video works it's from the harbour in late april last season. i had fish jumping all around me

i was set up with a bolt rig, e-reader, ipod and beverage, great way to fish

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/dwc67/carp2_zps4doevrhg.mp4

Awesome video! Very exciting!

I use an old shovel handle with a sharp tip as my stakeout pole but it only works in the shallows obviously. So if you are in deep lake o water you'll just have to move with the fish right? I have a small anchor I can toss in but its only good for 20ft fow.

You definitely got me excited for the carp though! I got a camera for this year too. Will mount it similar to how you did.

Great Video after seeing that i cannot wait to get the kayak in and try for some carp . I am in need of a camera for this year thou. hopefully the budget will allow.

i use 2 stakeout poles threw the scuppers when i carp fish in the yak. this holds me in place

if the video works it's from the harbour in late april last season. i had fish jumping all around me

i was set up with a bolt rig, e-reader, ipod and beverage, great way to fish

http://vid138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/dwc67/carp2_zps4doevrhg.mp4

Great vid.dwc67 .......What is the purpose of the sponge on the handle of the net ? I took a still shot from the video right near the end & saw the carp jump in front of you ......Was that the same carp that hit your rod withing a few seconds after it jumped ? It really slammed it good .....looks like a lot of fun out there !!

SAM_5656.JPG

it's a cut down pool noodle so the net will float. in kayaks you dress to swim and rig your gear for flipping

no they were two different fish. the one i hooked was about 5lbs bigger.

that area i am fishing is where the bay goes from 2 ft deep to 3-4 ft deep. i chum and fish the same spot every spring and it's not reachable by land so i am not taking areas from shore guys, win win

Thanks .....I fish very close to shore all season there . The carp like to run the shore line looking for stray corn that seems to find it's way there lol . I want to give it an earlier try this spring , soon after the ice is out . :Gonefishing:

I stopped in at Minors in Pelham today & bought a 50kg bag of feed corn . I have no experience with this hard corn & I brought a hand full to a boil in a 1/4 cup of water , let it cool , but still too hard to penetrate with a needle without splitting the corn . I want to use it for chum & try it when the gobies are in town . These whole corn kernels seem a little small for feed corn ......I need to experiment more....

that's a loonie beside the corn......

SAM_5688.JPG

boil it for 3 hours or so..... a half bucket dry with water over top, add water every once in a while.....in the end a half bucket of dry will almost fill the pot once it has soaked up enough water.

Do you guys freeze it after you boil it for future use ? It would be nice to grab some when you decide to go carping one morning and grab some ready to go corn . It will thaw quickly soon after it hits the water .

edit.......This reel was just given to me ......seems to be in good shape . It has a free spool lever , so it looks like a good carp reel ...... anyone use this type of reel for carp ?

SAM_5679.JPG

Archived