Getting The Carp Gear Ready

Angler files

I stopped in at Minors in Pelham today & bought a 50kg bag of feed corn . I have no experience with this hard corn & I brought a hand full to a boil in a 1/4 cup of water , let it cool , but still too hard to penetrate with a needle without splitting the corn . I want to use it for chum & try it when the gobies are in town . These whole corn kernels seem a little small for feed corn ......I need to experiment more....

that's a loonie beside the corn......

SAM_5688.JPG

Whatever method you choose - either soaking, boiling, soaking and boiling, pressure cooking - the corn will double in size by the time it's ready.

dry field corn needs to be boiled for more than a few minutes - a couple hours more like it

if you pre soak the corn for 48 hours before boiling it will be ready in 20-30 minutes

pressure cooking 20-30 minutes from dry.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the good info guys . I put a small handfull in some water about 30 hrs. ago , and it is almost double in size ....just waiting till tomorrow to see how soft it gets . I have a big 25 kg bag for under 10 bucks ....pretty cheap bait .

dwc67 .....thanks for the vid. ...I remember that one & didn't know carp like pine apples . I noticed Peter's had some scents in their carp section ....will have to check them out soon ....waiting for the catapults to come in soon .,,,,

Last week i was in peters and they had some carp slingshots Smerch

Thanks Hendo , last time I was there I saw only one on the top rack.They must have got the new shipment in shortly after I was there . I'm going trouting with the long rods tomorrow ,will stop in and check them out . :ArcherySmiley:

@smerch,

Would it be possible to receive a nice birds nest with a free spool reel like that? If the carp takes off and its free it could unwind too quickly for your reaction than youre really hung up. Bait runners work well for me. Spinning all the way!

May be better to either adjust the free spool or loosen the drag off like I do with my Symetre spinning reel . I can see getting a bird nest if the free spool is too loose . .......Soon...... :Gonefishing:

I stopped in at Minors in Pelham today & bought a 50kg bag of feed corn . I have no experience with this hard corn & I brought a hand full to a boil in a 1/4 cup of water , let it cool , but still too hard to penetrate with a needle without splitting the corn . I want to use it for chum & try it when the gobies are in town . These whole corn kernels seem a little small for feed corn ......I need to experiment more....

that's a loonie beside the corn......

SAM_5688.JPG

These corn still needs to be marinated with sweet stuff , maple syrup, or add real chunk of pineapple, or used dole pineapple juice, etc...

For adding real Pineapple, I only salvage the skin with left over chunk off a fresh pineapple, freeze extra skin for future marinade. I mixed the cooked corn in a sealed container, added sweet maple syrup, and chunk of pineapple skin. The whole process create fermentation, and expand the plastic bottle when stored inside refrigerator. When container opened, will create lots of fizz, more than a soda pop bottle, so be careful. Without a seal-able bottle, the fermentation process will forced the lid to pop up and mess up your fridge. I learned the hard way, and took some time to clean the dried up sticky mess created.

The big maiz corn, size of a penny, the brand name is called Ferma, 750grams cost me $4, they sell them at times at Food basics. There is an Italian owned store at Hamilton at James Street close to king street, that I bought these big corn. The store sells fresh produce and all kind of dried corn, bean, etc,,,

From my experience, the can corn seem to still out produce these home made corn. The advantage of Ferma brand PENNY SIZE CORN, they do not get stolen by gobies that easily, and they stay longer on the hook. But my friend , who was using can corn, and bait feeder with home made doe mix, he was out fishing me many times, and our bait presentation were cast not too far from one another, just to find out if his presentation do out fish mine.

I originally started fishing for carp with only canned corn, landed a lot of fish before, but too many small fish or gobies stole my bait, then I switched to big home made corn , including the ones you bought as shown on the picture.

I have decided to mix both canned vs. my home made corn on the same hair rig hook + a bait feeder above it for this year's carp fishing presentation.

DSC00200.jpg

Smerchly, I tried to send you a private message, but your box cannot accept any new messgaes.

Good info fishfight ......I also like using puffed corn , wrapped inside raw oats mixed with cream corn & scent . I also toss some of this semi-dry mix to chum my area . I have some of that feed corn in a half cup of water ....been in there for 5 days ... It has expanded but still not soft enough to use .( experimenting - :crazy: (mad scientist)... I have a gas cook stove & I'll boil a large batch up when it is time to fish for carp . I have many spots to try my luck this year with a variety of water depths , from 4' to 15' (plus Quinte) ....some with still water , some with current . I got some heavy weights at the sports show last week, up to 5 0z. if needed . I want to try the hair-bolt rig in some spots , especially where there is significant current . If I remember right , you fished the pool for carp .....maybe a good spot for the bolt rig .

just a thought but what if you took some field corn before its ripe when the corn is still soft on the cob i know that don't happen

right away and won't be ready for that first bite but maybe later in the summer when the corn has grown but still soft

Archived