Grand River

bryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there yesurday. Shes still iced up. I would wait for the ice above caledonia to go first. Soon very soon. Ice is gone from calidonia to cayuga.

I also love getting into the cats in April and was curious about the ice conditions in Dunnville myself. I called Caledonia Bait and tackle about an hour ago and they told me that the ice above and below the dam is gone. Hopefully Dunnville will be ice free by the weekend????

J

We still have a ways to go for dunnville cats. Water temp has to rise dramatically. They are going to be lethargic for quite some time with this ice still on the lower grand.

I read a story in Ontario Out of Doors (April issue) today by Don Sangster who wrote a story on Grand R. cats , going out with a charter service (Steve Hardcastle) . It was stated , if this year is like last year's late spring , the cats may not be hitting well until late Apr. or early May.

This is something i would like to try this year myself. Was watching a youtube video of a couple guys last april pulling some big cats out of Jordan. Whats the typical terminal tackle setup for cats you all use? Oklahoma where my wife is from they use circle hooks?

Lots of ppl like circle hooks. I tried them a couple times lost a few fish n gave up on them. I use a 8'6". Med heavy rod,big reel with 20lb braid. Pickerel rigs with worms. Doesn't get much easier then that.

Dave we'll have to get out for some night time catts this yr.

Lots of ppl like circle hooks. I tried them a couple times lost a few fish n gave up on them. I use a 8'6". Med heavy rod,big reel with 20lb braid. Pickerel rigs with worms. Doesn't get much easier then that.

Dave we'll have to get out for some night time catts this yr.

You let me know...im on. Youll bring everything right? Lol. Im away may 2-16 though

I fish Jordan every year. I use a 4/0 circle hook and land 5-10lb cats on the regular. before a day fishing i usually just soak my lawn around 10pm come out at 11pm and get a good amount of worms. then use 2 on a circle hook. I plan on using more cut bait tho because i got a new rod and reel meant for larger fish. Does anyone know of some good creeks other than red bridge near jordan that have suckers that i can get for cut bait?

sorry mate, if you don't know what i'm talking about then you shouldn't go. it's a local thing and most of the local spots here are already littered with trash and cross liners. Most spots in my area are over run at best on a slow day. almost impossible to shore fish so me and a buddy use kayaks. last thing i need is someone coming near the creeks in my area and taking all the bait fish considering i only take when needed. still to cold for the suckers tho. havent seen any yet.

I was pretty sure I knew where you were talking about went down there this past weekend. Although I cant be positive because I don't remember the colour of the bridge. Didn't hook up to anything so I guess I was more so wondering if the sucker run had started yet first time targeting them and wasn't sure if I was too early or in the completely wrong place.

it's called red bridge but it's not red :P just what it's been called by most people in town. I've checked a few of the creeks a week ago and there wasn't any in the spots i check. Was to cold anyways, but with the warmer weather I'll be checking again soon

Does anyone know of some good creeks other than red bridge near jordan that have suckers that i can get for cut bait?

last thing i need is someone coming near the creeks in my area and taking all the bait fish considering i only take when needed. still to cold for the suckers tho. havent seen any yet.

Anyone else see the irony here

Archived