Reels

smerchly

I know these are the days when companies (manufacturers) are cutting corners to save some coin by downsizing or using cheaper materials .....from your kids cereals to a new drill, etc. When buying a new spinning reel , some don't come with a spare spool . I bought a Shimano Symetre last year and really miss not having a second spool for targeting other fish . To order a spool it is costly and takes a long time to get it delivered . My last Daiwa came with a spare spool . How many of you who use spinning rods would prefer to have 2 spools , and what brand names usually include an extra spool . My future purchases will depend on getting that extra spool ......even ultra lights like my Sahara 750 .....

Last reel I purchased that had a spare spool was a abu garcia cardinal. Few years ago the second spool tough was sup part and I don't like using it. Working in fishig sales now, iv noticed most companies don't sell second spools now, its unfortunate.

My Shimano stradics came with a second spool, my abu garcia's came with a second spool as well. My Diawa 1300's didn't come with an extra spool. I like the second spool in case the drag washers wear out and then I can switch spools. The second spool is also nice if you want to switch from mono to braid.

" The second spool is also nice if you want to switch from mono to braid."

That's what I usually use on my spare spools also . I still have spools for my old D.A.M. Quick 330 & 440 reels . The old Mitchell 300's came with 2 spools . I believe they drop the second spool option because they can sell the reel cheaper , but the option should be there . I wouldn't buy a cordless drill without a spare battery either .

Here are some of my spare spools I have , and still using the reels .

SAM_5733.JPG

W1W!W1......thanks for the offer Bill , but my Symetre is the 4000 size , I don't think the 2000 will fit . If I'm wrong , I would gladly buy it from you .

Most reel manufacturers are getting away from spare spools.

For an inexpensive Ultralight-light reel, I like these:

http://www.lews.com/spinning-laserlite.php

http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fish/en/home/products/fishing-reels/spinning/sedona-front-drag.html

I prefer to have a separate rod for each reel and vice-versa...it saves time not having to retie when the fishing is hot and it allows me too switch rigs quickly. One for my main bait/lure and one for a throwback if I miss a fish.

You can usually find some on sale or used and they will do the trick.

Nice looking reels Big dog ...... at $30 for the Lews reel you could buy 2 and load each with different line . As you said it takes time to retie and string it through the guides . That's why the bass anglers use several rods already baited up . If they are getting away from spare spools ,I hope they are still easily available for replacement if one is damaged etc . It would also be nice if there was an option to buy an extra spool in the store for an extra fee .... that would cover both choices , I would like to have that option. When fishing from land , carrying extra rods can be cumbersome compared to carrying a spare spool in your bag .I have 2 Sedona 2500 spinning reels , both with rear drags and extra spools . ...good reels ,but the drags suck in cold weather .

I agree smerchly.Every company is doing it. Pretty sneaky . I boght a few 2"x4"x8' 's yesterday. Thery're now 2"x4"x92 5/8" lol What's next ?

Bluedogg

They aren't even 2"x4"s!

I agree smerchly.Every company is doing it. Pretty sneaky . I boght a few 2"x4"x8' 's yesterday. Thery're now 2"x4"x92 5/8" lol What's next ?

Bluedogg

the 92 5/8'' lenth is a special precut for framing an 8' walls, 96'' studs should be in another pile

They aren't even 2"x4"s!

My house was built in the 50's .....full size 2 x 4's & 2 x 6's for the roof frame , not 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" . At least the length is still 8' . Check out the food quantities we get today .....many items are downsized , from cereal , yoghurt , ice cream to the new bacon pkgs.that went from 500 gms to 375 gms . The metric system has given business the choice to price to their advantage ,not ours . Flooring (carpet, etc) used to sell at $$$ per sq.yd ....now by the sq.ft ......and I saw fishing line sold by the meter (100 meters spools) , now have become 100 yd.or 90 meters . I grew up with both systems and know how much we are being ripped off ...even with toilet paper ! They are hoping the younger generation doesn't notice the "new" sizes or where products are made ......It's up to us to let those companies know we will shop wisely and compare price & quantity .

BTW ....a "pound" of home smoked bacon is under 3 bucks at Big Reds in Thorold ......great for "pike kabobs" :pardon:

Bluedogg

They are 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 8'

Archived