Port Dalhousie / Martindale Pond Fishing In The Spring?

Jig Head

I usually fish in the beaverdams area in Thorold, but on occassion I go to port to fish for Salmon in the fall. But in the spring time, what is the fishing like down at port, or in martindale pond? What are most prominent fish to catch in that area?

Port Dalhousie

Spring = Trout (perch)

Summer = Bass (Cats, Perch, Carp)

() = secondary and harder to get but they exist

Martindale

Spring = Perch, Sunfish, Bullheads

Summer = Bass, Carp, Bullheads, Sunfish, Perch

Both have every species of fish (almost), but it is about where and if the area is accessible.

Worth a go. But the rowers will not stop for you and there is a chance they heckle. Stay off the course and cautious where they swing back around and life is usually peachy.

Come August the slop is thick though.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to be careful because you can even be fined for taking a picture of an out of season fish, even if it is immediately released....posting a pic of it also isnt a good idea, I'd remove it and avoid posting oos pics just to keep yourself safe, some ppl will usually give you a hassle for that and it's technically evidence of improper handling of oos catches, just my advice

This is assuming that pic is from this year

yes it was released right away :)

I like the law i believe it was New York just passed, where you can get fined for pictures of out of season fish...

Hope they implement it here.

I like the law i believe it was New York just passed, where you can get fined for pictures of out of season fish...

Hope they implement it here.

That raises too many questions. I can not see how a fine can be levied, if I am fighting a fish can a buddy not snap photos? Same with as I am unhooking it ...

Heres the link: http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2015/05/new_law_photographing_fish_caught_out_of_season_a_ticketable_offense.html#incart_river

That raises too many questions. I can not see how a fine can be levied, if I am fighting a fish can a buddy not snap photos? Same with as I am unhooking it ...

Sure, just dont post them on the internet.

Terrible idea for a law. Just another example of government over reach. Money grab. It won't protect fish or the fry. The pics will still be taken whether they get posted on a forum or Facebook or what have you. The idea that snapping a pic before a quick release hinders the survival in any quantifiable way is laughable. What is more important is the manner in which the fish is handled during the catch, photo and release not weather or not the pic gets posted.

Also, from what I've read about it so far...the law hasn't been passed yet. I for one, hope it doesn't even though I don't fish NY often.

I believe our regs state if a oos fish is caught it must be released as quickly as possible, not removed from the water, taking a picture would not fall under releasing as quickly as possible.

Might give some consequences to these guys that like to fish oos and think its ok because they are releasing them, because as far as i know nothing can be done unless they have fish in their possession. Maybe that would change things.

I believe our regs state if a oos fish is caught it must be released as quickly as possible, not removed from the water, taking a picture would not fall under releasing as quickly as possible.

Might give some consequences to these guys that like to fish oos and think its ok because they are releasing them, because as far as i know nothing can be done unless they have fish in their possession. Maybe that would change things.

.....could be reason behind the law ..... e.g.....If people see lots of photos on Facebook , or on fishing sites of oos fish , they may think it's okay to target them and visit known spots that were posted .... Other anglers who frown on this can take pictures of the offenders if they wish ..... I'm fine with a quick snapshot of an incidental catch of an oos fish but will keep it to myself . Plenty of legal catches of game fish are handled roughly while taking shots or hanging them on scales , or catching from deep water & released etc etc etc .....

Like clockwork, every year this same debate pops up on here. Almost on the same weekend. Lol

The truth is, this time of year is tough to deal with. An experienced angler knows not to fish spawning beds, but also knows that bass hang out in a lot of the same places as pike so some "bi-catch" does happen. You never know what you'll catch in some places though. Got this carp on Sunday on a baitfish pattern. https://youtu.be/f6Ueb3PL0mA.

.....could be reason behind the law ..... e.g.....If people see lots of photos on Facebook , or on fishing sites of oos fish , they may think it's okay to target them and visit known spots that were posted .... Other anglers who frown on this can take pictures of the offenders if they wish ..... I'm fine with a quick snapshot of an incidental catch of an oos fish but will keep it to myself . Plenty of legal catches of game fish are handled roughly while taking shots or hanging them on scales , or catching from deep water & released etc etc etc .....

exactly smerch.

Was at beaverdams the other nite and a fight almost happened bcuz three individuals were targeting bass. One guy confronted the three guys n advised them to stop fishing for bass as there oos and the three guys told em where to go.That didnt go over to well. In the end the three guys left but im sure theyll continue to target oos fish. People that arnt real fisherman dont seem to care and yet us fisherman pay the price. Smaller limits,slot sizes,places being fenced off. Its bullsh!t

I personally think the rules should change. I have accidently caught a few OOS bass this week in different locations targeting other species. They are still pre-spawn. they're not guarding nest now. Catching them isn't harming their reproduction. Not sure why so many (MRN included) are so uptight about this. Snapping a quick pic is irrelevant to survival rates. This law is laughable.

I'm a rower and a fisherman. It's best to stay out of the rowing course when rowers are out there. A rowing shell is a difficult thing to stop and if it hits you, your going down. fishing in Martindale is great along the edges and under the overhanging trees. I've seen some huge bass and pike in there. There is plenty of room for both rowers and fishermen to enjoy the pond.

Archived