Mono Or Braid?

kgm

Just wondering what everyone uses for line. I have been fishing all my life and have only ever used mono. I like 10lb on my light rod, and 20lb on my heavier one, both spinning reels. Is there any advantage, or disadvantages to braided line? Do you need a flourocarbon leader when using braid so the fish can't see the line? Does it cast the same? Thanks in advance for any advice

Braid 100 %, flouro leader for me for most of my rods. Some straight flouro. No line twist, better contact, no stretch (sometimes applications require some stretch) . None of my rods are spooled with Mono. Bass, Walleye, Perch, cats,

X2 on braid. No stretch is awesome. Haven't lost 20 dollar lures since I switched too braid.snags you can uasally wrap around a glove and pull it free cause if you use the same diameter in braid as you 20 lb mono that's like 100 lb braid won't ever get snaged

My preference is for mono as a whole ... but the braid does have it advantages when fishing slop and heavy cover (or in my case miscasting and snagging trees).

I found when the temps drop below zero braid responds poorly ... had the line absorb water and freeze up.

Thanks everyone. Think I will give it a try and see how it goes

Don't go past the LINE RATING on your rod. One of the big advantages of braid is the ratio between the line diameter and the line test rating - 20lb test has a 6 pound mono diameter. You probably don't need 20lb braid... I use 10lb# and it should suffice for most fishing needs. The lower diameter line helps reduce drag on the line in the water and allows you to cast farther, especially using smaller baits/lures.

You can use a mono or flouro leader, braid is very visible...always use a leader. Remember to loosen off the drag with braid...the "no stretch" will tear the hooks out of hard fighting fish, .

Don't go past the LINE RATING on your rod. One of the big advantages of braid is the ratio between the line diameter and the line test rating - 20lb test has a 6 pound mono diameter. You probably don't need 20lb braid... I use 10lb# and it should suffice for most fishing needs. The lower diameter line helps reduce drag on the line in the water and allows you to cast farther, especially using smaller baits/lures.

You can use a mono or flouro leader, braid is very visible...always use a leader. Remember to loosen off the drag with braid...the "no stretch" will tear the hooks out of hard fighting fish,

With all this in mind (braid) , wouldn't it be better to use a rod with a softer tip and let the rod take some of those hard head shakes ? I used a 10' Berkley spinning rod with a solid back bone with a soft tip for carp last spring , and some of those big carp had the rod bent to the ? point ....I was ready to hear that sickening "Snap" , so I changed to my 8' Fenwick custom salmon rod which seems to be working fine ....except it's about 25 years old ...still using the 20# braid . It has taken me a couple of years to get used to the braid ....love the sensitivity when drifting for trout or bottom bouncing foe eyes at Quinte .

......just a note .....back in the early fifty's we used a black nylon/rayon type line ...20 lb.and no stretch ....very soft line, easy on the old steel guides , but thicker in diameter ....... :Gonefishing:

With all this in mind (braid) , wouldn't it be better to use a rod with a softer tip and let the rod take some of those hard head shakes ? I used a 10' Berkley spinning rod with a solid back bone with a soft tip for carp last spring , and some of those big carp had the rod bent to the ? point ....I was ready to hear that sickening "Snap" , so I changed to my 8' Fenwick custom salmon rod which seems to be working fine ....except it's about 25 years old ...still using the 20# braid . It has taken me a couple of years to get used to the braid ....love the sensitivity when drifting for trout or bottom bouncing foe eyes at Quinte .

......just a note .....back in the early fifty's we used a black nylon/rayon type line ...20 lb.and no stretch ....very soft line, easy on the old steel guides , but thicker in diameter ....... :Gonefishing:

Yes and no. The softer tip does help fight bigger fish, although I can't speak on carp techniques. But depending on how you're fishing, you may need/want the faster tip - jerkbaits I prefer a fast tip, cranks a bit softer, but Wacky rig/shakey head I like X-Fast. That's why the drag is important, because no matter what rod you use, you can adjust the drag tension accordingly.

"Line rating on rods" .....I'm guessing those numbers are for mono lines .....With a no stretch line I would be more cautious when either setting the hook or snapping the line to unhook a snag , and the spool capacity would be different with thin diameter braids as well . Guide diameter also palys a part when casting both braid and mono .....and I like the extra distance I can get using the braids . I'm not sure about the longevity of braids when exposed to sunlight or left in hot vehicles .......

I always use a 15lbs braid, I just change the leaders based on what I'm fishing. I have 2 main rods, a medium and light action ugly sticks. I reeled in everything from 10lbs walleye to .5 lbs trout, ive had salmon and catfish. I haven't used mono in 10 years and never looked back! If you use a hybrid line line like braid/floro you get the best if both worlds

"Line rating on rods" .....I'm guessing those numbers are for mono lines .....With a no stretch line I would be more cautious when either setting the hook or snapping the line to unhook a snag , and the spool capacity would be different with thin diameter braids as well . Guide diameter also palys a part when casting both braid and mono .....and I like the extra distance I can get using the braids . I'm not sure about the longevity of braids when exposed to sunlight or left in hot vehicles .......

The line ratings on rods are for all line types. Spool capacity is definetly a bonus. I use 10lb# braid / 4lb# mono equiv., and I could easily get 200 yards on a spool. But, I back fill a partial spool of mono or Flouro and get two spools out of it. The only time I worry about the no stretch is when I'm snagged or setting the hook and the braid wraps around the rod tip. It will pop it off pretty easily. I find braid holds up better than mono/Flouro in the elements...my only complaint, is that it does discolour, but that's about it. I will only change the braid when low. I just back it onto a different reel and use the "good end".

You can dismiss the worries about heavier lines simply by setting your drag to a reasonable level.

Short of dragging bass out of the slop or setting on muskies there is no need for heavy drag.

The activities mentioned otherwise require rods capable of handling it anyway.

I run braid on my riggers as well, as fleas pull off much easier. Braid may collect more fleas then mono but it pulls through them well

I put the braid away on very cold days in the winter though as it tends to collect a little water and freezes guides, then I run straight flourocarbon

I spooled up with 15lb (they were out of 10lb) spider wire braid and gave it a go today. I like the extra casting distance and the extra line on the reel. No fish though so can't comment on how it went, but I think I am going to like it. Thanks all for your advice

I switched to braid a few years ago. When I need a stealthy approach I use a fluorocarbon leader. At the moment only two or three ice fishing rigs have a mono ice line, but they are being phased out. As already been pointed out, use the drag of the reel, it will save your tips and lesson the number of fish lost.

Another advantage of braid, is that you will have fewer birds nest at the reel, as it has very minimal memory. Mono, especially the larger sizes, 10# plus is notorious for creating birds nest. This will happen when the reel is overfilled.

Ven

I use both all depends what I'm fishing for and how deep for instance when drop shothing shallow fish I use mono to floro(zebra muscles) and when deep i fish braid to floro and when in the mats I fish pure braid. everyone has preference I will tell u when shallow using mono reduces for me the amount of early hook sets which in turn hooks more fish however sensitivy for some applications is key that's where the braid comes in

both have their applications.

I can tell you after having braid saw through 200 dollars worth of guides on my float road, I don't run it on my pin anymore....

lol. Lesson learned

Archived