Launching In Canada And Fishing Us Waters

Flyjon

Hi All,

Can I fish the east chanel of the Upper Niagara River (east side of Grand Island)?

Is there a website detailing the rules on fishing the US side of the Niagara River, Lake Ontario, Lake Erie? The US Homeland Security site was unclear http://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-boats-private-flyers/Reporting%20Requirements%20for%20Recreational%20Vessels%20Arriving%20in%20U.S.%20along%20Lake%20Erie%20Shoreline

I have my NY licence but have never fished accross the international line. As I understand it you cannot touch shore, anchor, or use a push pole on the US side ( without calling it in to US customs) , planning to have my passport with me.

Thank you,

john

Absolutely you can fish the east channel or anywhere on us side if you have your ny license. As u mentioned, u may not land unless it is called in. You may get kicked out of marinas, but I like to fish them until the self-righteous patrons make a stink. Then I wait for the sherrif to show up which gives me extra fishing time. Then the sherrif usually sides with the other person to placate them and I'm off again. I have also had a sherrif tell me it's okay but be careful. They're mostly really nice actually. Seriously, have fun and enjoy the awesome resource. Don't forget to have a throwable flotation device on board. I don't think it has to be attached to a line anymore but don't quote me on that. Have it on the deck or close by so that the coast guard is happy with you-that is their suggestion. I have an extra one if you need one (square floaty thingy). There is a rule about calling when you get back in to Canadian waters after fishing the US side. It is up to you whether you choose to do this. It is the law which many were made aware of years ago when a boat was fined for not doing so up on the St. Larry. Many do not call at all and I have yet to hear of any fines or checks recently. Your call. Take care. Have fun.

LUND-ss, pauly,

Thank you for the replies, very helpful and informative! I will be calling it in as per CBSA requirements.

Looking forward to the musky opener this weekend!

Kind regards,

John

I fish there all the time and never had any issues. The homeland security patrol just drives right buy us everytime. My profile pic was from grand island. I have never called Canadian border servies after returning.

they are now enforcing the call law, recently had a cbs guy check me in Hamilton, after I asked him about the call law , he said they are now charging people. its only a phone call. they now have spotter planes out checking.

• 4 weeks later...

For fishing NY waters such as nIagara river:

I just called the US NY CBP (custom and border patrol) to enquire , their number is 1-800-827-2851. The officer said as long as we are not landing on any NY shoreline, we DO NOT HAVE TO CALL THEM.

Coming back to our boat launch in Canadian waters:

We need to call 1-888-226-7277 at the end of our fishing trip to let them know. They will need:

1. Boaters registration number

2. I D from each anglers

3. Our secret fishing honey hole in NY! Ha! HA!

Here is my take, ..............How does the CBSA know we went fishing in the NY waters?

Here is my take, ..............How does the CBSA know we went fishing in the NY waters?

They do not. But they are one group I prefer to stay on the clean side with.

It is self managing, kind of like speed limits while driving, you pay the fine when caught. Along the river there are various cameras, sensors, and other monitoring devices present, watching for people who try to enter either country illegally, if you ventured into the open lake ... that is a different story.

Over the past week, Canadian officers( I don't know if they were conservation, police, or border) have reportedly Fined some US fishermen who were licensed, and did call the 888 number up to $700. Their crime? Their night crawlers were not certified. I'm sure if you poke through any boat for long enough, you can find a violation.

I know that a host of plant blights can be transmitted in soil, but when your not landing on shore, and the same bait is being used on worm harnesses a quarter mile to the south, you know it's a shakedown.

I paid good money for a license for the wife and myself, and often enjoy drifting the Emerald channel for walleye after diving. I've done it for years. We flew into far north lodges quite a few times. Now it seems we might not be welcome. What's going on?

Night crawlers?? Never heard of that one did they maybe bring crayfish across the invisible line. There is a reminder posted on ontario conservation authority Facebook page this week with the link below . World on the street is that the one guy busted was using Gobies as bait which is illegal in both canadian and us waters

http://www.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/invasive-species-and-fishing?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

Over the past week, Canadian officers( I don't know if they were conservation, police, or border) have reportedly Fined some US fishermen who were licensed, and did call the 888 number up to $700. Their crime? Their night crawlers were not certified. I'm sure if you poke through any boat for long enough, you can find a violation.

I know that a host of plant blights can be transmitted in soil, but when your not landing on shore, and the same bait is being used on worm harnesses a quarter mile to the south, you know it's a shakedown.

I paid good money for a license for the wife and myself, and often enjoy drifting the Emerald channel for walleye after diving. I've done it for years. We flew into far north lodges quite a few times. Now it seems we might not be welcome. What's going on?

Every year the border services on both sides of the border get into a little pissing match somewhere along the length and breadth of our "unguarded border". Last year it was on the Larry. Three years back it was Pt Huron and Sarnia. Bottom line is that somebody got a politician riled up and demanding petty retaliatory action. Happens with boaters, tourists, truckers, etc....

I would think you would be ok Chris. I would guess your crawlers would be from pristine Canadian terra firma so clean it barely qualifies as dirt. Mine, however, could be from tainted filthy U.S. soil so rancid and disease ridden we should bait our rigs in full Hazmat suits.

Seriously, If I had crawlers in Buss bedding I hope they would leave me alone. But, I really don't know. Like I said, I'm sure they can find something if they dig through any boat hard enough.

Fish fight...my understanding as well.

But...I was pulled over on July 4 by CBP, and they said if I'm past Grand Island Bridge, I have intent to be in NY waters, and need to check in. I suggested I thought I only needed to check in if I planned to touch shore, anchor, or moor to another boat. He said that wasn't true...and that Upper and Lower Niagara had different rules (?).

His explanation to me sounded very arbitrary...I wasn't convinced, (but he had the gun so he was right).

I called CBP when I got home to clarify...they suggested 'no need to check in'...as per my original understanding.

When I asked if he could point me to a website to clarify, he barked 'how much clearer can NO be??'

I'd love to find something official in writing that explained this...anyone have?

Certified night crawlers? I pick my own off the lawn. How do I certify them?

Are you certified? Lol.... true what bigugli says, all depends on whos day it is. They certainly have tthe power....and some of them go on a power trip specially if you give them any kind of attitude. They dont take jokes very well, thats for sure.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html

I called again today, the CBSA officer said I need to call them regardless I am bringing fish or not bringing anything ,back to Canadian boat launches . Call at 1-888-226-7277 to let them know of our intention.

If I am embarking goods, (bringing fish back) I can use my cell to call them or go to a reporting station , there will be a physical phone there as I was told, though no actual office or person might be there, then the CBSA officer will decide if they will dispatch an officer to come and inspect our goods (fish caught to be brought back to canada) , or they might likely not even bother showing up and let us go.

I went through their list of reporting station, since some boat launching site I used were not part of their TRC(Telephone reporting center) and do not have a phone to use, I am force to detour to a boat launch reporting station if I plan to bring fish? Just purely inconvenient and stupid ! DIscourage us anglers from taking any fish home. My friend normally takes two bass home.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#a3

If you are returning to Canada, you can report to the TRC from the location at which you enter Canadian waters when you:

• have not landed on U.S. soil, and
  • you have not taken on any people or goods while in foreign waters.

Note: If you meet the above conditions and are planning on continuously weaving in and out of Canadian waters, you only need to report to the TRC the first time that you cross the border into Canadian waters.

Some Reporting station that I found from the website above are:

1.Greater Niagara boat club 4649 Lyons Creek Road Niagara Falls ON L2E 6S6

2. Navy Island

3. Beacon Marina- 2793 Service Road North Jordan Station ON L0R 1S0

4. berties boat launch - 1010 Point Abino Road South R.R. 1 Ridgeway ON L0S 1N0

4. Chippawa boat launch - 4379 Lyons Creek Road Niagara Falls ON

5. Chippawa riverside courtesy dock - 3618-3714 Bridgewater Street Niagara Falls ON L2G 6W1

Requirements for Canadian citizens or permanent residents

• Full name, date of birth and citizenship;
  • the length of absence from Canada; and
  • one of the following:
    • valid Canadian passport,
    • enhanced driver's license,
    • Permanent Resident Card,

If anyone are familiar with upper river boat launches, feel free to post other TRS telephone reporting station found on their UNINTERACTIVE rmap. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/services/trsm-sdtm-eng.html.

I do not fish the lower river by boat, except at whirlpool or Queenston on shore , so I am not familiar with the boat launches other than queenston.

Queenston Sand Dock Public Ramp

Fish fight...my understanding as well.

But...I was pulled over on July 4 by CBP, and they said if I'm past Grand Island Bridge, I have intent to be in NY waters, and need to check in. I suggested I thought I only needed to check in if I planned to touch shore, anchor, or moor to another boat. He said that wasn't true...and that Upper and Lower Niagara had different rules (?).

His explanation to me sounded very arbitrary...I wasn't convinced, (but he had the gun so he was right).

I called CBP when I got home to clarify...they suggested 'no need to check in'...as per my original understanding.

When I asked if he could point me to a website to clarify, he barked 'how much clearer can NO be??'

I'd love to find something official in writing that explained this...anyone have?

When you were pulled over, were you on your way back to the boat launches after the day of fishing?

We do not need to report any sooner then after we finish our fishing day.

Fish fight...I was still fishing in NY waters when the U.S. Officials (CBP) pulled us over.

Understood I need to report to Canadian officials upon re-entry into Canada, I'm just trying to clarify my reporting requirements to US Customs going into US waters...they (US Customs and Border Patrol) have provided me conflicting reports to date.

Note: If you meet the above conditions and are planning on continuously weaving in and out of Canadian waters, you only need to report to the TRC the first time that you cross the border into Canadian waters.

The above note was attach to their website, I would assume the CBSA also wanted to keep track of movement within the borders, to figure out the numbers of boaters going to us waters to fish .

Just like going across the US border more often in a year by driving , would create some kind of good credibility standing, and less chance of being hassled in future visits. My family of 4 used to go across the US for mini vacation, many times just for the day. We would bring back up to $240 worth of goods, many items from walmart, dollar tree, ollies bargain outlet , Big lot, TJ maxx, marshalls, etc... but we never had to pay HST taxes even ones, our van looks full, but after showing the receipt, they just let us go. HOwever, I heard of others going across to shop once in a blue moon, less than $100 per person, they were interrogated both side of border crossing, and had to pay HSt taxes.

I won't be going back to fish the US waters till the fall, I will call them by then, the only way to know for sure if making the phone call would create some kind of eventual hassle, especially if we were to bring some fish home.

My wind mobile cell plan need to roam as well due to no services that far at niagara, so making that phone call will cost me few cents. BUt not worth the risk of being caught could cost us a bundle.

Fish fight...I was still fishing in NY waters when the U.S. Officials (CBP) pulled us over.

Understood I need to report to Canadian officials upon re-entry into Canada, I'm just trying to clarify reporting requirements going into US waters...they have provided me conflicting reports to date.

When I called US border security 1-800-827-2851, and spoke to one of their officer, I was told we do not need to call them as long as we are not bringing hazardous goods across the border. I presume we need to call them when we are bringing live bait or worms when we cross the US water line, the term they used was" BRINGING potential Hazardous or contaminated Goods to USA". Due to potential disease from meat, fish, fruits. they would not like that if crossing by land, air or sea.

Since my fishing buddies and I do not use live bait or worms, we do not have that potential issue, but our lunch food, could contain, cook meat, fruits, beef jerky, etc...........HOW CAN LIFE BE THAT COMPLICATED?

We might need to start asking the fish that we caught........Are you an American? Okay .....your lucky day! Or........Sorry, into the live well you go ,since you are a Canadian!

So, if after fishing in US waters , you call Canadian Authorities and report that you are returning with a limit of fish, can you stop and legally catch another limit in Canadian waters before you dock :crazy:

Archived