Musky On The Fly - Upper Niagara Report

Flyjon

I hit the upper Niagara yesterday morning for Musky, had 3 follows and one hit ( which I didn't hook) . There were a good number of boats out, but I didn't see any fish landed. Fished hard for about 4 hours and left to fool around in Erie once my fishing part got bored. I'm new to musky fishing so I was happy with my day.

Cheers,

John

I spotted one about 3 feet long sitting along a current break yesterday . Tied on a large top water fly I had tied up,cast it about 6 feet in front of it gave it 3 swift twitches and it nailed it ! I set the hook ,the fish turned aaaaaaand SNAP! My leader broke , I was gutted and went home with my head held low .

Twice on the same pattern I came up with by accident last year by chance lol.I tied a large almost intruder style fly with a tightly wound large ball like ice dub head to push water and low and behold it didn't sink so the wheels started turning. Now I have to tie more .

Is there any muskie close to shore to fly cast to? Im sure that would be cool on the fly.

• 1 month later...

I was back on the upper on Sunday, had 3 musky follows, managed to hook and land 1 fish 34-36". Running wire shock tippet 30#, with a crosslock snap....

Archived