Lake Erie Bass

Dan Andrews

Guys, growing up my father use to tell me not to keep the bigger ones. Two reasons, big spawners and they have a fishy taste. Well, any fish that I clean I take out the middle "mud line", "muscle line" "lateral line" what ever you want to call it..... lol I shouldn't say any fish, cause I don't do it with perch. Bass and walleye I do. What a difference, I remember a few years back when my father was watching me clean some mature bass and then we had a fish fry later that evening for the family. He couldn't believe how great they were. Another thing, if I know I'm going to harvest a fish, I bleed them out right away, makes cleaning a lot cleaner and less blood in the fillet. Especially walleye, talk about clean white fillets. Best of luck to all!

If there is blood in your fillets, you're doing it wrong.

It's not bleeding them out its just " the right cuts " in the filet process .... There should be very little blood .... Mine are caught ... Kept alive until filet... Then straight to being cooked .... Can't beat fresh !!!!!!

When I store my filets for longer than that night I prefer to soak my filets in salt water for 1 hour. Afterwards rinse the filet in a strainer you will be amazed how much sand comes out of a filet in that short period of time

Archived