A Great Soul Has Passed A True Friend Of Everyone At Port Dalhousie.

gtgf

I will miss him as well! Not everyone knew of his passing away, As time goes on, especially during up coming trout season, others will eventually come to realized our losses.

He was always very helpful in giving me pointers on port D fishing . He had a log book and jot down weather pattern, water clarity and fishing results for the day. I called him occasionally to chit chat, and it would take us 1-2 hours of conversation just about fishing.

I will miss him every time I go to Port D, he was the one person I always look forward to chatting when I go there. He would enthusiasticly tell me the good and the bad fishing report from previous days or weeks. I could still hear his Irish voice while typing my comments here.

At one time, my friend and I asked him about the best place to cast spoon, Kenny pointed me to go to the legion area. We went there after not doing well where we were fishing. After half an hour of fishing in front of the legion house, My friend and I both landed a Brown Trout, mine was my Personal best 7-10 lb football size female trout, it fought and resembled a fat carp, the fish refuse to surface at first. After I landed the fish, I screamed at the top of my lungs at Kenny, who was fishing at the opposite side of us, I showed him the fish I was holding then, both our fish were release of course. It was also my friend first landed Brown trout. What a memory!

Many knew him for biking even during snowy days.

How time flies, and now another friend is gone. Sometimes, I wish there will be fishing in heaven, to get to see and chat with friends, to talk about the good old fishing days all over again.

I should know him since I have fished at Port so often , but I can't recall meeting him . (last name)? I know a guy who biked there for trout but his name is Johnny . I could not find him in the local paper obituaries .....when did he pass ?

My sincere condolences to his family and friends .

So sorry to hear this news. I last fished with him in late April when I was called away to work. His last words to me then as I left were 'I'll be here'. For me that's a true statement still and I'll probably flashback to see him with his bike, rods and all his bags full of his homemade streamers, corkies and other gear when I'm there.

Ken embodied so many of the good things about fishing. He , in spite of his gruff appearance, followed the 'gentleman's' rules when it came to fishing. There are manners for fisherman he would say. Always helpful and persistent he would share his knowledge and offer up advice only when asked. He had little time for interlopers who didn't use common sense when fishing in the spring and fall runs..

I've netted a lot of fish for him and he likewise for me and many others. He had his spots as the seasons changed and knew the currents as well as anyone I've seen. I caught more and more fish the longer I fished with him.

He followed a catch and release philosophy and actually cared for the welfare of his prey and had no time for those who mistreated the fish. I always looked forward to seeing his bike down there and had the good fortune of fishing alongside him for many years.

He told me much about his life and travels over time and said he had no real regrets and a lot of fond memories of things past. He said that he could think of no place he'd rather be than standing with his rod in hand and knowing that it was only a matter of time before he felt that light tap tap at the end of his line.Always ready to set the hook.

Fishing in Ray's Bay somehow won't feel the same.

Rest in peace Kenny.

Very well told coffee.Thank you for sharing that wonderfull tribute of Kenny. I dont recall meeting him personally but he sounds like the fisherman most of us would like to be my hat is off to Kenny and his loved ones and may he have tight lines in heaven.

Another Positive thing Kenny did:

EIther Kenny had helped release 75,000 brown trout fingerlings at Port D last fall, or monitor the survival of the fingerlings prior to their release. He mentioned the small fish were in a cage submerge under water for two weeks to get used to the water temp of Port D, they were well feed on daily basis, this process ensure the survival of the small fish, compared to just releasing them on streams or river system.

I kind of regretted not taking him to the Whirlpool or the Glen with me on one of my fishing trip. He wanted to tag along, and stated he was fit enough to hike, due to his daily biking exercise. SInce I have not done well on quite of few my outing during 2015 winter months at niagara falls, I was kind of embarrassed to bring him along, knowing he might not do any better then his fishing experience at Port D. Compared to him being a pro at Port D.........I am just an amateaur angler!

Another good traits about Kenny, He never came across to me as someone cocky or bragged about his fishing success. He would mention his skunk days as much as his successful fishing days, always ready to pull out his mini notepad on previous days info that he had diligently log down.

On one occasion and pointer Kenny gave me, he showed me a mini circle hook, the size of 1/4", he said they were not readily sold at local tackle shop, he had to order them from UK. He asked me if I could find them off ebay and let him know, I was surprise how small a hook could even land a big trout, They were so small that others would assume a kid would used these hooks to catch gobies. He said that specific size hook with 4lb line was one secret of success by UK anglers during tough fishing condition when water gets really clear at a river. He had to use that combo as a last resort when no bite after regular set up used.

He was always so enthusiastic and passionate in his fishing conversation, it never occurred to me that he acted like a retired senior or someone slow. The first (10 years ago) and the last time( March 2015) how I remembered meeting him , aside from his Irish accent, he always held out his mini notepad. I am still baffled by what could have happened to him!

There is another regular Vietnamese/canadian FIshing guy who drives a white BMW 4x4, whose name is Ben, he might know more about what has happened to Kenny, since Ben lives at a condo not too far from the Port. They called each other on regular basis to fish together. Ben is another accommodating helpful regular angler over there.

Thank you fishfight , another heartfelt tribute to Kenny . I don't fish the east side much so I missed out on the pleasure of meeting him . People who know me will tell you I sure like to gab . I'm sure I would have had great conversations with Ken ! I knew some of the other regular anglers there like Canadadude , Kenny A., Wally M. (RIP) , and I think the Asian guy Ben you mentioned is "Bin" ...the little guy with a BIG smile , super friendly and a top notch fisherman ! He sometimes fishes the west side of Port Harbour and shows us grasshoppers how it's done ! I will be talking with him soon .

Rest in peace Kenny. I was able to share a lot of great memories with Kenny this trout season, often talking with him while fishing and helping eachother land fish. He was always helpful and always willing to share a theory about fish migration or behavior. My did that man know his icthiology as well. He was as it was mentioned earlier a true gentleman who had a lot of respect for the fair chase of sportfish, along with those who he shared the water with. I will miss him this fall as I return to my home water as I know he's watching over us and cursing those who call the browns "German Browns" in november. He was a very nice man who loved the aspects of fishing that make fishing amazing, he will be missed.

I would very much like to participate in a memorial for this great man. Something to have down in port to remember him by like a bench or something along those lines. If anyone here sees Ben, can you have him contact me please. Regarding kenny. My number is waiting for him at peters.

Archived