Help The Troubled Credit River

CRAA

http://www.ipetition...he-credit-river

Please take 30 seconds to sign the petition to save the Credit River fishery, which is dwindling quickly. With no access to the river due to closed fish ladders, fish cant reach spawning water and with no reproduction, there will soon be no fish.

If you fish the river or the lake, it affects you one way or the other. And after all, its your tax dollars going to support a failing fisheries management plan, thanks to the MNR. Look east and every river is stacked with wild salmon because they have access to water in which they can reproduce, but not the Credit..

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't sign, keep the salmon out of the upper river along with the gong show that follows them , this applies to the Ganny as well.

Lift all the Rainbows and Browns you want, but leave the salmon below Streetsville

The donation thing is after. I don't think it was related to the credit petition, but to the website.

Even if you let the salmon above norval, it's still affected by the sept 30 closing date. I doubt they'd get there by then or if they would at all. Resident trout, 5 species of salmon and steelhead do just fine together out west, so I don't see why they can't here.

I agree fully with dave524. Keep those boots down below. Its already a complete gong show and poaching circus. Take a trip to Erindale park and tell me if you would want that in your backyard. Lots of private property above Streetsville, and I highly doubt they want it trashed.

I am wondering about this petition...this has not come from any members of the craa executive or posted on their website. I have been down to the pens at Streetsville with John Kendall and the salmon are held there by rubber deflectors in the pens. Id like to hear first hand from the biologists and executive on their thoughts.

Question for the OP. Doest the CRAA know you are posting on their behalf and what is your name?

I agree fully with dave524. Keep those boots down below. Its already a complete gong show and poaching circus. Take a trip to Erindale park and tell me if you would want that in your backyard. Lots of private property above Streetsville, and I highly doubt they want it trashed.

I am wondering about this petition...this has not come from any members of the craa executive or posted on their website. I have been down to the pens at Streetsville with John Kendall and the salmon are held there by rubber deflectors in the pens. Id like to hear first hand from the biologists and executive on their thoughts.

Just want to point out gents that a link to this petition does in fact appear on the CRAA facebook page and it appears to have been posted by the CRAA.

https://www.facebook.com/thecraa?fref=nf

Seems the petition is not about dam removal but about lifting more fish, quote

" If you believe that more steelhead should be lifted over the Norval dam and more salmon over the Streetsville dam please sign this. We need to get this fishery back to where it used to be. This is the largest cold water stream on the north shore of Lake Ontario and we need to take advantage of this fantastic resource. "

Still don't agree with salmon above Streetsville, Browns , Bows and the odd lost soul of Brookie yes

The streetsville dam has long been gone. The salmon are held back at streetsville by the craa. And i do believe there is a fish ladder in Norval. Theres more to this than what we are hearing. Dont know how true it is but i also heard rumor of problems within the craa. Steelhead and atlantics have always been lifted at Norval.

Salmon do not reproduce . Steelhead and browns do but the % is very low.

Sorry but you are wrong. Chinook and coho salmon in L Ontario reproduce and die after 4 years. Rainbows and browns do not die after spawning.

They do not reproduce rather they are stocked . Yes salmon die after spawning and yes trout survive after spawning. And if they are reproducing i suppose there is no need to raise and stock them?

They do not reproduce rather they are stocked . Yes salmon die after spawning and yes trout survive after spawning. And if they are reproducing i suppose there is no need to raise and stock them?

Google Spawning Salmon Navigate the Credit River where it says Chinook and Coho salmon will nest, spawn, and die before winter. Their offspring will hatch and swim downstream to L Ontario in the spring, returning 4 years later as adults to complete the cycle. This to me means that they reproduce.

Salmon Fact Chinook salmon eggs hatch in the spring and majority of the fry enter L Ont in May or June.

Google Spawning Salmon Navigate the Credit River where it says Chinook and Coho salmon will nest, spawn, and die before winter. Their offspring will hatch and swim downstream to L Ontario in the spring, returning 4 years later as adults to complete the cycle. This to me means that they reproduce.

Salmon Fact Chinook salmon eggs hatch in the spring and majority of the fry enter L Ont in May or June.

well if its on google, it must be true, i mean not just anyone can put information on the internet.

The survival rate of chinook salmon is very very low. And that is probably the reasoning of this petition. The water in the lower credit is just too warm. If the dams were cleared im sure they could naturally reproduce and survive, but at what cost to the upper credit and its resident fish? Is there enough MNR officers to monitor the river? Will land owners approve? Will all the organizations like TU approve? I doubt it. Salmon on the credit right now are a put and take fishery with no MNR enforcement. Big buisness in the lake for charter boat operators. What would happen to the resident trout fishing and peoples property are all questions that need to be answered. Dont see it happening anytime soon too many politics and groups that are not interested in seeing it happen.

Walleye spawn and reproduce in L Erie yet they still stock them.

ODNR stocks a ton of eyes in Erie, alot of which migrate over to the central and eastern basins. Its a put and take fishery regardless if commercial catches are involved. Natural reproduction in Lake E would not be sufficient to meet the recreational demand each year if supplemental stocking wasn't in place.

Archived