Help The Troubled Credit River

CRAA

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, not all unclipped salmon are "wild" (aka not hatchery reared). Talked to many local agencies involved in lake Ontario hatchery programs and the clipping and pit tagging are not used each year or on each released hatchery fish. I was to under the impression that intact adipose = naturally reproduced, but that's not the case many of times.

I believe all chinook since 2011 have been clipped...that's how they get numbers about natural reproduction...besides what other hatchery other than normandale is rearing salmon...and I believe all of the hatcheries in NY clip aswell...they do have private hatcheries over there but none raise salmon.

The reason natural salmon reproduction is so low is because of lack of suitable spawning habitat is it not? The whole idea of this petition is to provide access to more suitable spawning grounds where the possibility of some natural reproduction is at least greater as I understand it.

I believe that creating a self sustaining population of Pacific Salmon was not the primary objective of stocking , first Coho later Chinook into the Great Lakes back in the 60's.

Was not and still not the primary objective. If sustaining the population of chinook salmon was the objective here that could be done way easier with egg collection at a way higher success rate. I have to believe there is inside conflict with the craa and the mnr. I hope they can find the answer with all interest groups involved. Theres more to all this than taking down the barriers and dams. Some want it, some dont, and each has thier own reasoning. Ive heard stories of mishandling of funds. This petition is directed at the mnr which tells me there is conflict with the craa and mnr. I sent an enail to the craa president to see if i coukd get a response from thier position and so far heard nothing. Thats unusual.... i guess time will tell. Maybe this has a lot to do with the atlantics who knows?

well the craa does not own the river. they do a good job but not for everyone. salmon don,t need to go up river far. but the atlantic program has to go. in short anyone can get a petition going and does not need approval from anyone. the credit has been going down hill for years and so is bronte. just look east and tell me the difference. need more stocking and access. very simple solution.

I am just remembering speaking with 2 CO's 20 years ago and they were saying without the stocking program on lake O we would have no salmon because reproduction would be close to nil. Is there any actual studies being conducted regarding salmon reproduction? I sure would love to see actual study numbers..

I have 5 guns but its the stupid dam that's preventing up stream migration. The fish can't get to suitable spawning grounds because of those stupid things.

Then you have these goofs from CRAA asking for donations? For what?

What they should be doing is working with the MNR to fix the river not asking poor saps from the community for money.

They are not goofs at craa Spindella. I personally know some of the members there and they do alot of good work all on volunteered hours. And to correct you...the donation thing is not the craa...its the website that steelimat hosted the survey on. There is far more to it than just blowing open the dams. You might want to read the credit valley conservation/ mnr management plan. The craa has done a lot of hard work and stream rehab to improve the credit river. This is not about that...they in fact want the river open to better spawning grounds. To blame the craa is wrong. Just saying.

What they should be doing is working with the MNR to fix the river

The MNR does not want the river fixed, they are the ones who stop the salmon at streetsville. CRAA wants migratory access to the upper river, above norval, where fry survival rates would be much higher due to cooler water temps due in no small part to the riparian reforestation they have done. Streetsville dam and Norval dam are huge obstacles to migratory fish.

I have 5 guns but its the stupid dam that's preventing up stream migration. The fish can't get to suitable spawning grounds because of those stupid things.

Then you have these goofs from CRAA asking for donations? For what?

What they should be doing is working with the MNR to fix the river not asking poor saps from the community for money.

Only a goof would use that word on the internet

CRAA has worked tirelessly to fix that river. They attached themselves to the AS project because the main compenent was restoration not stocking. They lifted fish over the dams year after year and are now called names by someone threatening to shoot down a dam with a shotgun. I'll be ignoring you from this post on until you put some volunteer hours in with the CRAA and that need probably needs filling right about now. If you really care about the fishery and not just your line call them and volunteer now. Otherwise you're just another internet troll.

Archived