Opinion: One Sentence To Improve

cplummer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More content related to the area (Niagara/Hamilton); columns, blogs and articles written by the forum members or invited guests of the forum, with content related to local waters/fishing, not just reports of "I caught a fish" but how, when, with and more specifics to help the younger anglers, the novice anglers and even the seasoned vets all become better and more prolificanglers...and maybe separate/add to the sub-forums to include a more diverse range of topics that don't currently have a home.

Check it out, that was one sentence. Dang, now it's three.

Delegate individuals to be responsible for different content. E.g. Tackle, Fishing Techniques, How to fish for certain species etc. Another option is to change it from a forum to a blog and the blog master determines content with members commenting on it.

If you look at the post/reply ratio it has been about 50 to 1 for a long time ,so we need to get more replies . After members take the time to write up a post and , as I do, spend some time sending a picture , cropped and made more presentable for all to enjoy ......only to get one reply or no reply such as Kevin just posted about his sturgeon post . This non reaction causes some to not bothering to post at all ....just read the posts . Cliff ....I'm too gabby to post one sentence .....

Love the honesty guys. Speak your mind. I can take things well. It's the members that make this fourm. I only own it. Thanks for speaking up guys. I want Niagara anglers to know i love the resourses we have here and i want to improve this web site. What the majority wiahes we will have here! Lest speak out and be heard.. I bought this web site because i love fishing and fellow anglers. Speak up and tell me what you want here.

Cliff.

My two cents. Take it for what you will, I'm certainly no social media expert.

Reduce the number of subforums. Keep the major ones (Fishing, Hunting & Conservation, Non-Fishing, and Classifieds) and maybe a couple specific interest forums, but roll the rest into one general discussion area. Right now we're like a restaurant, where each group is sitting at it's own table having their own conversation. Bring all the conversations together, so it's more like a bar and you can float from group to group and participate in many discussions. It's just to fragmented right now.

Think about setting up some more contests. Great start with the fishing and hunting stories, think of how to do more. Prizes don't have to be as big as those contests, maybe work with the sponsors? Run photo of the month or fish of the month contest. Organize a yearly tournament. Give people a reason to participate.

Do whatever you can to provide good information to new members about techniques and general locations, but don't get into hotspotting. Hotspotting may bring in an increase in overall membership, but the majority of these members are just trolling for locations and will not participate. It will drive away dedicated members who have worked hard to locate spots and develop techniques only to have them given away.

That's it for now

Main forum for all species, cut out some of the sub forums. I believe you will get more views and replies on the main forum this way, as opposed to having to jump from forum to forum to see who's catching bass or eyes or whatever.

Pin a thread for pike, but not in a contest form, but just to show what you caught. Reason being if someone early in the season catches a 30+ pike, many members who my not catch one that size will not post their pic.

Either which way, we have a good forum here with many helpful members.

:Gonefishing:

Bring back the "Pike Off" for 2016.....or whatever specie you'd like to see showcased.

I miss that kind of friendly competition.

The pike off was fun and we had some mini ice fishing derbies which brought members together for a day , and we had swills where we met for some wings ....(no prizes are necessary imo) ...... I believe more members are involved in personal messaging than those "old days" . Nice to see some new ideas here !

Honestly...I've noticed a couple things in general in relation to fishing forums and social media. 1) posters get flamed for the smallest thing. This discourages folks from posting reports. I recently moved back to the Niagara from the States. I've noticed Canadian based forums seem to be worse than the forums I visited that are based in the US. 2) Facebook. I think people are posting more to Facebook groups than they are online forums in general. Its easier to post to Facebook from your phone than to a typical forum.

One thing i can really appreciate is that you are reaching out to members for advise and feedback. Not sure how to fix an issue exactly but I do like the idea of realigning the forums. Pulling tables together does seem to be a good idea.

I've been off this board for a while and recently came back and I've noticed a significant drop in posts...

Anyhow, here it goes in one sentence (I'm being blunt to make a point):

The biggest way to improve the site is for many of the core members to drop the a-hole holier than thou attitude. (I can provide examples if requested)

If you look at the post/reply ratio it has been about 50 to 1 for a long time ,so we need to get more replies . After members take the time to write up a post and , as I do, spend some time sending a picture , cropped and made more presentable for all to enjoy ......only to get one reply or no reply such as Kevin just posted about his sturgeon post . This non reaction causes some to not bothering to post at all ....just read the posts . Cliff ....I'm too gabby to post one sentence .....

One advantage of a Blog is that it simple to post photos, the other advantage is that it is free.

The biggest way to improve the site is for many of the core members to drop the a-hole holier than thou attitude. (I can provide examples if requested)

I would agree.

Myself I do not like the subforms, but it keeps things organized, although there are a few that could be merged.

I've been off this board for a while and recently came back and I've noticed a significant drop in posts...

Anyhow, here it goes in one sentence (I'm being blunt to make a point):

Could'nt agree more with you.

Is there a way to capture posted pictures and scroll them through the banner and when clicked on it would direct you to the posted topic? Like Smoking Meat Forums.........This directs me out of my usual ruts when I login there. Also on RAM1500diesel there is a spot to just see recent posts/active posts. This also keeps it cleaner for someone looking in once and a while.....allows easier cross over between sub forums.

Maybe change the colours to browns.....like the header? LOL

LT

Being a multi species and technique fisherman one forum would be my choice, Fishing related topics ONLY.

Maybe a Hard Water Forum and a Soft water forum.

Your dog runs away, someone sick, Just got a tattoo, run out of toilet paper, Hockey baseball football threads, etc.. Have a Ann Landers separate forum :crazy::D

I like this forum anyway, I have a scroll wheel and a delete button.

You run a tight ship Chris, keep up the good work.

Agree with Fish Farmer

Have a Lake Erie Forum, dependant on season you know where to get info. ( Winter Ice fishing, Summer soft water)

Lake Ontario Forum

Niagara River & Port D Forum, all under one forum

Classifieds

Other species

That's 5 Forums that are popular and easy to navigate

remove the number of posts condition required to response to sub forums many times I would like to help a member but can't because it's locked.....FYI the docks at crystal beach aren't coming out until mid November.

Archived