Catching Minnows

kgm

Hey all, just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips as to what to look for in a good area to catch minnows this time of year. I have had a trap set in a few locations for the last week and so far only have 3 minnows. Summer time seems to be easy as you can usually find places where you can see the minnows close to shore. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just some tips of what to look for, depths, etc. Thanks

Where you from? Look for a lot of birds on or flying near shore to start

Like this ?

SAM_6538.JPG

Fishing at Jordan Harbour a few days ago .....gulls and cormorants were going nuts feeding on bait fish .

I'm looking for minnows also ....got some large ones at Gibby (where there is a rocky shoreline) , may need to scout the Niagara river for those smaller perch minnows . Good luck !

¤¤¤¤ hmmm smaller perch minnows...smerch minnows??? Haha! Its halloween and ive had a few....cheers everyone

You're half right Fred ..... if you get a few smelt in the trap , you know where the name came from ;)

I'm in welland. Tried the river by the aquaduct in port Robinson because in the summer you can see thousands of them from shore. Also tried Lyons creek as its right by my house. No luck there yet. I will try looking for birds, never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip.

I'm in welland. Tried the river by the aquaduct in port Robinson because in the summer you can see thousands of them from shore. Also tried Lyons creek as its right by my house. No luck there yet. I will try looking for birds, never thought of that before. Thanks for the tip.

You must live near me, the culvert you were walking back from never has minnows. I could be wrong but I was driving by and someone with a bucket was walking back to their vehicle......Port Robinson hasn't been a good spot for me either.

Hey Lundtastic, that was me. No luck there at all. Didn't think there would be but thought I'd give it a try cause it's so close.

Sounds like I need to make a trip out to Fort Erie to catch some. Thanks guys

The bass have been gone from there for a while. Someone fished them out. Hopefully they enjoy the PCB's. Couple years ago there were carp, bass, dogfish, even a couple of brook trout. Now......all gone. I couldn't beat walking to a wicked fishing hole like that in 2 minutes.

LT

Wow, even brook trout in there. That surprises me. Wish it was like that now. Always want to take the kids fishing off the Pearson st bridge but figured there wasn't much in there, seems pretty dirty now

Archived