Is Anyone Actually Fishing Out There?

Snags

Was driving through most of Niagara today, Port Dalhousie was busy this AM, at the mouth of the river there was a ton of boats out there ... hell even went back to Port D to check out the marina later today and it was busy further up ...

Saw one salmon that was still kicking (estimated at 10 pounds), I don't think it got the memo that it was supposed to be dead two months ago.

Yet never see any reports

Edit note: I have probably been out fishing less than 10 times this year, I put a few reports out earlier in the summer, but have not been out since September before someone tosses out the YOU DONT REPORT

the-swimming-dead-fish.jpg

Picture stolen off of the site below. Not an ad for the site, just acknowledging the site it was stolen from.

thefisheriesblog.com/2013/11/11/the-swimming-dead-videos-of-zombie-fish/

I don't like to post when I got skunked the last three outings .....makes an old pro like me look bad .... :dunno:

I have to get out early in the morning before 7am. since we got a notice that they are repaving the road .....heading to Dalhousie so I don't get stuck all day without a vehicle .....hope something is biting .

Since I started this new job I haven't even been able to think about fishing. I work 4:00 pm til 1:00 am and get home about 1:45. By the time I get some chow and crawl into bed it's 4:00. Wake up in time to do it all over again.

But I have a total of 6 days off between the two upcoming holidays. So if the water isn't hard by then, I hope to get out.

To be quite honest, the fishing this fall at most places has been the worse fall ever. The past weekend the saugeen was a perfect green according to my buddy who fishes it a lot...but very very few fish hooked. We fished the bighead sat and the water was gin clear and seen only one small fish hooked. South of the boarder has been very much the same.....low water flows and very few fish. I managed a few browns despite the horrible conditions but nothing like we normally do this time of year. Im not the only one whos wondering whats going on. The credit, bronte has also been the worse season ever. The grand has produced some fish but lots of time needed to be put in. 4 of us fished the salmon river for 3 days..for one steelhead and few small browns. Seen many people skunked and wondering whats going on. Not fished the Niagara this year, so no idea on it. But to sum things up....its not been a very good fall for me or most of the people i know. Thats my report in a nutshell....

That really sweet 3 day indian summer had my finally put my 12 ftr in the welland. Did not waste time 3 of us rowed from wainfleet to welland and back. That was day 1 caught one crappie. Next day decided to keep it to welland nothing, once we put the boat away went down towards the fleet and landed 1 more crappie. Next day inbetween minor little rain showers managed a musky and a pike almost under the same willow tree. Both this years probably not even a pound each. All fish on shiners,

People like myself are catching a lot of flack for reports. It's unfortunate

Nothing like being bullied. Stop taking the flack...theres no real secrets out there. If anyyone thinks the Niagara is a secret they need to give thier head a shake. You dont have to post your gps location , but nothing wrong with sharing your success or failures or whats working for you. Those that give you the flack only fish one spot all the time...and if theres more than them alone fishing its a problem and you burned thier only spot. Makes me laugh....they need to be told that anywhere there is fish...theres people. I wonder why they lurk fishing forums themselves...ask them that question Jordan. Dont be intimidated by the "elite" know it all fish gods. Stand up for yourself bud.

When you say "Social Media" , do you mean other than fishing media ? I've seen pictures on Facebook , newspapers and magazines that tell all . I have resorted to showing my catches on the ground , in the net , etc . to keep small spots out of the limelight and some other "holes" from being cluttered with garbage (tired of picking up after the slobs) . Of course , if I'm fishing Lake E or O ,I don't mind showing the T.O.Tower in the background ..... :)

I used to think it was common sense as to what to post and what not to. But people have different perspectives on what is okay. I don't think it is a surprise that Lake Erie has bass and it's quite big so I think it's fair so say that the day before the last day of the Canadian season I caught 25 or so smallies. I had to fish tubes to get my hits. Drop shot and spoons weren't producing. I stayed on a few schools with marker buoys. No drft sock needed. I don't chase big fish much anymore. I stay on a spot if I'm catching. Plus The average was 3 to 4.5 pounds so I was happy. I figured out early on they were in a certain mood and stuck with what worked. My intention is to fish the U.S. Waters this weekend since the bass are still feeding just fine it seems. 3 Browns on hardware last time out at Lake Ontario trib.

People like myself are catching a lot of flack for reports. It's unfortunate

why put up with flack? You are staff !

I did a fishing report post last week nobody took a shot at me ? Who cares what some think? Why do we bother to have this fishing web site if nobody posts? Because we share one common interest and thats fishing.. Help our younger members and those stuck at home because of a disability or other reason? Should they miss out because your so afraid of somebody that don't like your fishing report.. Seriously guys? Why are we even here? Because we love fishing and meeting new friends and sharing what we know... What's so wrong about that....

Dave I've seen a few quiet spots on the niagara destroyed by social media. If people want to be fish rock stars expect the paparazzi

Not about being a fish rock star....nothing wrong with sharing your day. There is more than one way to share without giving away your secret hole. Sometimes not even sharing a picture, just contributing to making someone elses day. Ive helped many others here on this website through personal message if i feel its giving away. Makes for a pretty boring website when nobody has anything productive to add. Ive fished all over Ontario, and many US states and never had a problem of my spot burned. When your spots burned....you burned it. If its too sensitive a spot...np dont post it. You might want to look through past of NFN to see who the spot burners are. The same group of guys....and you know who they are toaster. Then try to discourage everyone else because they have a chip on thier shoulder. Anyone who knows me....ive helped with advise as well as fished with many nfn members, I call a spade a spade. Sorry for the rant....and hope more people will contribute to making the site worthwhile. Thats what this is right? A fishing site?

Your worried about niagara spots being over posted here ? Seriously? Look at some other fishing sites and you'll see why it's over fished.. Look around it's certainly not from NFN. Wake up.

Snags the Browns and steelie bite is on pretty good at the river mouths where there is some coloured water. Trolling stickbaits

vsee that? Now there is a good fisherman willing to help those in need :)

Looking at some of the stats, it doesn't seem like the number of views are way down but the number of replies to each topic is way down. I've posted two topics about perch in Dain City with pics and only had seven replies with roughly six hundred views in the last two weeks. Just lurkers I guess. I notice that this thread has got a fair number of replies though.

Oh.. And if you don't like what we do here nobody is making you stay.. Simple as that .. If you don't like it then stay away instead of stirring up crap. We do NOT tolerate negitive members here. Share and be happy you did. Maybe some day you'll need some info too..

Too many people complain when reports are posted, so fewer people are posting. Long and short, the bullies win.

. Sorry Mark that's due to the banning of some members who don't belong on a fishing forum. It will get better from here bro.

I'm with toaster on this one. You share one thing with one person, they tell a friend, their friend posts 18 pictures on instagram. Before you know it, you're fishing shoulder to shoulder in a spot you used to be able to sneak down to and not see a soul. As far as the river goes I keep anything personal to myself. There's fish in there from the end of august till the end of june so don't really see a point in posting about them.

I also don't really fish for social hour. I go down alone for some peace and quiet 90 percent of the time. I know Toaster feels the same way. Over the years we've seen a lot less common courtesy and lots of out of towners crowding people out of spots.

Ive seen the out of towners thing on many websites. Id say 70% are out of towners no matter where you go. As far as instagram i dont use it so cant say. But this is a fishing website with sections that are not viewable to everyone so i dont see the big deal. Yes places getcrowded not just the Niagara. With all the low water levels and poor fishing at other tribs lately you have to expect places like the Niagara to get busier. Everyone has a right to fish...nobody owns a spot...well except for port..lol. You have to be early and expect it to get busy...thats just anywhere not just there. Nothing wrong with sharing your day without giving away to much. Id say the tv shows and celebrities have done that long ago. Just ask Castellano who has boats following him all over the river. No point of a fishing website with nobody who wants to share whats working or your day and if its something too sensitive fine..np keep it to yourself. What bothers me is Jordans comment about taking flack...thats just wrong.

Ive seen the out of towners thing on many websites. Id say 70% are out of towners no matter where you go. As far as instagram i dont use it so cant say. But this is a fishing website with sections that are not viewable to everyone so i dont see the big deal. Yes places getcrowded not just the Niagara. With all the low water levels and poor fishing at other tribs lately you have to expect places like the Niagara to get busier. Everyone has a right to fish...nobody owns a spot...well except for port..lol. You have to be early and expect it to get busy...thats just anywhere not just there. Nothing wrong with sharing your day without giving away to much. Id say the tv shows and celebrities have done that long ago. Just ask Castellano who has boats following him all over the river. No point of a fishing website with nobody who wants to share whats working or your day and if its something too sensitive fine..np keep it to yourself. What bothers me is Jordans comment about taking flack...thats just wrong.

Sadly Dave, its not just Jordan who has taken flack. I have been approached by a number of members over the past year. They all have similar complaints. They.ve been criticized and harassed openly, by pm, and in public. Now they won't post, just lurk.

As for out of towners... What makes anyone so sure they are from out of town. There is a crowd of Russians on Gibson every week. Guess what...? They live in St Catharines. Same with a lot of the Asians every one loves to complain about. They live here. They are just as entitled to use the waters and resources as anybody else here. Some are also members of NFN who also will not contribute. They don't want to deal with redneck crap.

Archived