Port Dalhousie Information

deetch

It is no secret that Port Dalhousie is a hot spot for Browns in the month of Nov and early Dec, I have fished it many times but stay away from the circus these 2 months. What amazes me is that we did not have 1 post on Port Dalhousie so far. WHY?

It is no secret, its not like you are exposing a hidden gem its Port Dalhousie.

This site is great show your catch and be proud of it.

My post comes after fishing there yesterday (will post pics soon). We had a great day catching fish out in the boat, unfortunately after fishing from shore and in the boat and seeing how bad it has gotten I have to comment.

At one point a lot of the die hards (not all) would fish the wall on the fish and game side and act rude to everyone who interfered with they're fishing whether it was they're fault or not. So many people would go to to the legion side to avoid the unnecessary harassment and do what they came to port doulhousie to do...enjoy fishing and they did (myself included).

Unfortunately I see everyone's rods and egos have gotten bigger...at what point fisherman look at themselves and realize they are being selfish? Why now do these same anglers feel that it is ok to fish the wall on the fish and game side and cast all the way over to the pier 61 restaurant side where someone is fishing? Or better yet snag the person fishing there and get mad at them or cut they're line?

Or like yesterday...I was in a boat fishing just before the wall and trolling down to the narrows...now, we generally try to avoid the wall with the boat when guys are fishing there and to be honest it's better fishing down from the wall. But again the die hards with the big egos and bigger rods were fishing beach side pier and we brought the boat close to lighthouse pier side but apparently us being in front of them on the opposite side interferes with they're drift.

When I'm down there I generally try to avoid problems, keep my space and have fun fishing. However, no one owns the water and if these people think they are going to cast across to the opposite side they are fishing and think that I'm not going to fish there they are dead wrong. My suggestion is if you want to fish the other side go to the other side.

I desperately hope fisherman change they're attitudes in port soon and start to have a little more common courtesy because they're really is no reason for all this crap that is going on and all it does is create problems which could aid in possibly shutting down yet another good fishing section.

Sorry for the rant....but things need to change.

This has been going on for years . It's a narrow harbour where anglers toss their rigs with 1 oz. weights from both sides . The east side usually has about 30 anglers there during the trout season . I have a boat but I'll never fish that area when the bank is lined with trouters . They make long casts in order to get longer drifts and work together to help prevent lines from crossing .(beware float fishers) ;) This year (and maybe many more) the boaters have the advantage of fishing most of the length of the piers since they are shut down to pedestrians . The wider area of water in front of the SGFA has always been good for boat anglers with no access for shore guys . Speaking for myself , I keep clear of the zoo and fish the other spots away from the "maddening crowd" :Gonefishing:

NICE catch sooner !! hate to see those lamprey scars ......love to see some bows !

edit:

I was tossing roe there yesterday from the west side across from the boat ramp (not a hit) and I didn't notice a boat drifting down the middle as my back was towards the wind . I felt a tug on my line ,then saw the boat . I crossed their line & quickly raised my rod and was able to free my line . That was an accident as I always wait for the boat to pass before casting .

This has been going on for years . It's a narrow harbour where anglers toss their rigs with 1 oz. weights from both sides . The east side usually has about 30 anglers there during the trout season . I have a boat but I'll never fish that area when the bank is lined with trouters . They make long casts in order to get longer drifts and work together to help prevent lines from crossing .(beware float fishers) ;) This year (and maybe many more) the boaters have the advantage of fishing most of the length of the piers since they are shut down to pedestrians . The wider area of water in front of the SGFA has always been good for boat anglers with no access for shore guys . Speaking for myself , I keep clear of the zoo and fish the other spots away from the "maddening crowd" :Gonefishing:

NICE catch sooner !! hate to see those lamprey scars ......love to see some bows !

edit:

I was tossing roe there yesterday from the west side across from the boat ramp (not a hit) and I didn't notice a boat drifting down the middle as my back was towards the wind . I felt a tug on my line ,then saw the boat . I crossed their line & quickly raised my rod and was able to free my line . That was an accident as I always wait for the boat to pass before casting .

thx Smerch....I think I met you once before, you almost stepped in one of my ice fishing holes on martindale...definitely enjoyed chatting with you that day. I totally get and understand making long cast I bottom bounce and am learning to float fish in port...but I would never make a cast from the opposite side all the way to the other especially if someone is fishing there....just out of courtesy....just like I would not pull my boat up close to someone fishing the shore or go along the wall if the guys are there.

thx Smerch....I think I met you once before, you almost stepped in one of my ice fishing holes on martindale...definitely enjoyed chatting with you that day. I totally get and understand making long cast I bottom bounce and am learning to float fish in port...but I would never make a cast from the opposite side all the way to the other especially if someone is fishing there....just out of courtesy....just like I would not pull my boat up close to someone fishing the shore or go along the wall if the guys are there.

I'm surprised a 1 oz.lead ball hasn't gone through a window of the restaurant on the west side . I know a lead weight snapped off and landed on the roof ! Boats do have the right of way , but with so many anglers there , some have less patience than others and one may suffer the wrath of the port posse ...Hope to see you on the ice soon sooner . :Gonefishing:

Archived