Old Lure

kgm

Was cleaning out my tackle box over the weekend and found this old lure. Thought it was interesting so I figured I'd share. A few years back my dad passed away and my brother and I divided up his fishing stuff. This one must have been his because it's most likely older than I am

dwPMoce.jpg

gz8Tnbq.jpg

I would say it's an old modified flatfish . they had two sets of hooks like the center ones . He may have changed the back set to a single treble . I never liked those old flatfish hooks .

Smerch has it. Flatfish was long before Kwickfish. I still have a few and one with both the double slung trebles.............................Daniel

Smerch has it. Flatfish was long before Kwickfish. I still have a few and one with both the double slung trebles.............................Daniel

I did a little searching in my "tackle shop" & found a few old flatfish lures . One has the double set of hooks & the other two have the single treble on the back , so kgm's lure is probably all original & not modified .

link to old wooden flatfish lures ......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=old+fishing+lures&biw=1440&bih=767&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjesuSHw8HLAhXMnIMKHb8RAm4QsAQIJw#imgdii=NeTRUygDVdKYZM%3A%3BNeTRUygDVdKYZM%3A%3Bs52_bN9Qtx5lvM%3A&imgrc=NeTRUygDVdKYZM%3A

...a few of my old flatfish..... all with original hooks , made from plastic

...top two are X5 , bottom is U20 .....used to use the U20 for smallies

SAM_6907.JPG

Crazy that they would have the double treble hooks. Would be quite a chore unhooking a good size bass that gets all those trebles hooked in his mouth.

Is it not illegal today to use 4 trebles on a lure ? ....unless the old lures are "grand fathered" to their kids lol

I am reasonably confident that the limit on trebles is 2 currently. This lure will never see water again anyway.

Under that theory, that would make all my husky jerks considered illegal. Looked at the mnr regulations. It says 4 hooks are allowed per one line. But I can't seem to find how many points are legally allowed.

post-4603-0-77904200-1458052284_thumb.pn

Not sure why anyone would want 4 trebles on a line. 12 points is a lot to handle.

Those old lures were for tough old fishermen. 2 hooks fer the fish and 2 fer the old fishermans fingers. :roflblack::Gonefishing: ..............................Daniel

Not sure why anyone would want 4 trebles on a line. 12 points is a lot to handle.

Ice fishing foe smelts .... 12 points (#14 trebs) ....= less time to catch 200 smelts ..... ;)

Canadian wiggler are they some what the same thing i had a chrome one back in my teenage days i remember trolling the mouth of the grand river at Port Maitland and the pike just loved

it

Those old lures were for tough old fishermen. 2 hooks fer the fish and 2 fer the old fishermans fingers. :roflblack::Gonefishing: ..............................Daniel

The flat fish lures with 4 trebs were a P.I.T. :deadhorse: . not only removing hooks , but also for getting caught up on themselves , or on the top of the lure body , and needing balancing (tweeking) to make them run straight . I like the Kwickfish better . If I use the old flatfish again , they can be tweeked with new trebs.

Gunner... I have a few of those too . They can be tossed 200 yards ....no problem ! B)

I think it's important to remember how much our attitudes have changed over the years. As an 'old guy,' I can certainly remember when a 4 treble flatfish was considered a great fish catcher with no consideration to how much it could damaged a fish. You know.. in the "good ol' days".. when we used vertical holds and such.

I think it's important to remember how much our attitudes have changed over the years. As an 'old guy,' I can certainly remember when a 4 treble flatfish was considered a great fish catcher with no consideration to how much it could damaged a fish. You know.. in the "good ol' days".. when we used vertical holds and such.

Angling has changed a lot over the years . We need electronics to catch more fish . We have much better tackle , rods & reels to catch fish . Although there are many more catch & release anglers , we don't know how many of those fish survive after crude release methods . An angler with genuine concerns for released fish would use barbless hooks , rubber nets and release fish properly .....I've seen more concern for releasing fish by carp anglers than trout fishermen (excluding fly fishermen) ....Just my observations .... :Gonefishing:

....And garbage ,,,,,,another story .... that hasn't changed in 50 years ......

I know we've sidetracked a bit from the original post( apologies ), but Smerch, do you remember when holding a pike up by the eye sockets was deemed acceptable?

And you're right about the carp anglers concern over fish. I take my carp release mat with me now when trouting at PD.

Haha....yes ,I remember the eye socket hold for pike . That was supposed to keep them still while ripping out the hook(s) . Pike were trophy's to us kids and they ended up on the dinner table most times. I also remember anglers catching pike and clubbing them because they were "killing all the pickerel " We also speared pike in local streams during the spawning run .....

Yes ,we got a little off the old lure subject , but we just tied in the "old" fishing methods using those old lures . Better days ahead . :Gonefishing:

I remember the eye hold on the pike, although it was always behind the eyes. Never could figure out how people kept a good grip on a large pike that way. I'm sure even behind the eyes wasn't too good for the fish.

Those small trebles were a catastrophe waiting to happen, both for the fish and the fisher!

They did catch fish and a lot of them. They were also easier to remove from human flesh than the present day hooks.

Events, lures, lines, rods, reels all change. Whether for the better or not? History books will tell us.

I'm just trying to evolve, and be as successful, in the end.

Archived