A Question Of Balance

smerchly

I have 5 spinning rods that are 9' to 11'6 .... some are more lively (springy) than others . The rods all have a rating on them for line strength .....e.g., one rod says 2-4 lb.....another say 4 -10 lb . I want to use my newly fixed Stradic 4000 on the 9'6" rod , 4-10 lb. with 20 lb thin strand braid for carp or pike . The reason for the stronger line is pulling the fish through weed beds , etc. , but being careful not to bend the rod too much . When using stronger line than recommended , should not the drag setting under 10 lbs compensate for the actual rod "rating" ?

Wow it seems like you may be stressing yerself by getting way too technical there Bill. I would just go by what "feels" good. You have been around the block enough times that you should be able to feel out yer setup. You know.........the "KISS" system. Hang in there pal...................................Daniel

Probably fine,unless you get a pig stuck in the weeds like you say & you don't have enough backbone to pull it out.You pull & the line just peels off because of the loose drag setup? I say 99% good to go

Wow it seems like you may be stressing yerself by getting way too technical there Bill. I would just go by what "feels" good. You have been around the block enough times that you should be able to feel out yer setup. You know.........the "KISS" system. Hang in there pal...................................Daniel

Ya , sometimes I get a little moody and blue when I can't make up my mind what rod to use with what reel . I don't want to stress out the fish either by fighting with them for extended happiness on my part .... ahah !

Probably fine,unless you get a pig stuck in the weeds like you say & you don't have enough backbone to pull it out.You pull & the line just peels off because of the loose drag setup? I say 99% good to go

I'll take that 99% as a go ! If the piggy ends up in a weed bed , I can point the rod straight at the pig , tighten up the drag and put myself in reverse .....something has to give ....lol

Ya , sometimes I get a little moody and blue

Why Bill you old Moody Blues fan.............that was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of your original post. "A Question of Balance". A lot of the younger members on this board won't know that band.............or what they are missing. LOL....................."Breathe deep the gathering gloom"......................................Daniel

Yep , me a blues fan from waaaaay back . My first 8 track tape was the 7th Sojourn . ...miss the old music , but You Tube saves the day . Isn't life strange , as I age , I hear voices in the sky , as I , being a Pisces ,a dreamer and a melancholy man ,and on the threshold of a dream , I am seeing the other side of life ..... We are having some pretty crappy weather , but I never blame the rainbow for the rain . Now I can pick the day , hour , weather , and what fish to target . I'll check out the winds ,look at the maps , and pick a spot that fits the conditions and lose myself in the lost world .

pretty heavy $hit eh ? B)

Thanks for the chuckle Bill...................I'm never going to lose your precious gift, it will always be that way...................................Daniel

Archived