Ticks

gunner-2

Well when't scouting this morning hit my honey hole down some old R.R.tracks stood there watching for any sign of turkeys never left the tracks

and there they are took 5 ticks off of me this morning and this was just walking down the train tracks it's going to be bad this year so any one going

for turkey or any one walking them wooded streams for trout watch for them there out full force :wall:

Well , it seems most big stores only sell repellents for mosquitos which contain deet . ...which is not effective for ticks . I found a product on line at Outdoors Oriented that is used for ticks . Does anyone use this product and how does it work ? I would rather spray my clothing than my skin . One site recommended to tuck your shirt inside the pants & tuck pant legs into the socks ,then spray the seams , and wear a hat (spray it too) .

https://outdoorsoriented.com/search?type=product&q=tick+repellent&submit=Search

Good reminder Gunner, will really slather on the bug juice Monday morning, or maybe hit up our Vet for some "Revolution" pills!

ya there bad to have that many on me and never left the stone of the RR tracks there going to be bad this year cant stand them things

ya there bad to have that many on me and never left the stone of the RR tracks there going to be bad this year cant stand them things

Ya Gunner , those ticks seem to like your body ...hope you got them all off today .....I did the body check (scary) today & I guess they don't like old meat :mellow:

Ya Gunner , those ticks seem to like your body ...hope you got them all off today .....I did the body check (scary) today & I guess they don't like old meat :mellow:

ya only one today but even that was enough had a great time fishing with you smerch thanks for the invite we have to get out again soon for them big carp

I'm with Cliff. Seriously.

When I was in the army we were often in areas where the bugs were so thick you needed a machete to get through them. At the time, the bug juice we had was 100% DEET, and even that often did nothing.

We had a warrant officer who never seemed to be bothered by the bugs. So I asked him his secret. He told me that he ate a bulb (not a clove) of garlic every day.

Good for the blood too!

I'm with Cliff. Seriously.

When I was in the army we were often in areas where the bugs were so thick you needed a machete to get through them. At the time, the bug juice we had was 100% DEET, and even that often did nothing.

We had a warrant officer who never seemed to be bothered by the bugs. So I asked him his secret. He told me that he ate a bulb (not a clove) of garlic every day.

Good for the blood too!

I like garlic but a bulb a day man i would be sick to my stomach

Here's what I use

https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/

it's not available in Canada though. Your local NY Walmart carries it for $10. I initially ordered it from an american outdoors site and they refused to ship it to Canada. Emailed Sawyers and they said Health Canada hadn't approved it and they wanted a crazy price in the thousands to approve it. With their sales in Canada it wasn't worth it. The only people that can get it in Canada is our military. So it's just another money grab. You spray your clothes, NOT your person. It works, I use it for turkey hunting.

Wow ....that's a lot of garlic ! Has he got any friends ? I think i would rather sprinkle garlic powder on myself and shower it off each trip to the water .

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried permethrin as well and had mixed results.  The ticks continued to crawl up my pants and didn't seem at all effected by it.  Mosquitos on other hand would die almost on contact.

1 hour ago, gunner-2 said:

I wish they can do something to wipe them and the mosquito out for ever they have no  use but to make the outdoors miserable :angry2:

I don't remember the problem when they used to fog the neighbourhood with DDT and oil the ponds, fifty years ago 

I have seen many changes since the fifties  , when I started hunting jack rabbits , bunnies , ducks , pheasants , etc. We didn't see possums , beavers or turkeys . There were plenty of pheasants , grouse ,and jacks . DDT has been named in killing off the jack rabbits .....We have a lot of deer in Niagara as well as coyotes ,and the geese pop. has exploded as well as cormorants . Things evolve and change as the world gets smaller ....think Asian carp and all the lovely invasive species we are dealing with . Bugs bug me ! I  hate those blood thirsty black flies & mosquitos . Now we have the ticks which seem to be expanding their territory ....hopefully this 99*F heat will kill many off or an extra cold winter will do the same .

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I think the ticks are here to stay. We had a couple brutally cold winters in a row and they are still here. I can handle mosquitos but the threat of lime disease, which can destroy your life, really spooks me. I was only out a few times early for turkey and didn't see any ticks. I always wear long rubber boots and tuck my pants in as I see a lot crawl up, especially in heavy grass.

You cant get a permethrin spray for "human" use in Canada.

However, TSC stores sells a spray called ULTRA SHIELD that is used on horses for fly control.

I heard of this product prior to turkey season from the OFAH chat site, and sprayed all my outer camo clothing, hats, seat and fannypack with it, as well as all my grandson's gear,

then left them outside on clothesline to dry for a day..

I was in hay fields, under trees,  plus sneaking thru a lot of hawthorn scrub that is usually tick infested.

Finished my season without finding any ticks on us, so I guess it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Went bass fishing at a local pond the other day and same thing I  must've had 6 or 7 on me. I've never seen them at my spot until this year :S

1 hour ago, Jer said:

Went bass fishing at a local pond the other day and same thing I  must've had 6 or 7 on me. I've never seen them at my spot until this year :S

I am hoping the hot weather kills them off .....but last trip to L.Gibson I found a tick on my elbow ....already attached ....pulled it off , head intact and gave it a nice bath in dish soap .   Keep an eye out people , and check your pets too .....   :th_fudd:.............                  ** 

Marlatt ponds full of ticks. Luckily I haven't had them on myself..I always wear pants...but...everyone else I bring to fish seems to get them..

good news....if the tick is infected it takes 48 hours to transfer from the tick to the perosn..so..if you get it right away..you're fine.

• 2 months later...

I have had a bunch of run ins with them this year. I never thought they were to bad just annoying. My tip is to go home and shower after you have been in the outdoors all day and make sure to check everywhere. My good friends wife ( just got married) got bit and she didn't find it in time,  she now has Lyme disease and it's absolutely horrible and the treatments are very pricey. Make sure to always check yourself after a day out in the bush.

Archived