Winds On Erie

verado

I thought I knew but lately sometimes I'm not so sure. When heading out on Erie in the Point Abino, CB, or PC vicinity what direction do you not want the wind coming from and which is most favourable. Many a time I've got all the way there only to find it much too rough. What do you find are the most accurate marine forecasts. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Verado buddy. I understand your asking a question and we are all glad to help but take some time look at a map know your N,S,E,W and guess what you think would be the best wind. Its very simple man. Also this is very important when fishing especially on the great lakes because winds can change instantly and get bad quick if you cant tell before it gets bad then you are putting your life and anyone in your boats life in danger. But to answer your question on our side of Erie we launch on the north side of the lake. West is to the right, east is Buffalo, and south is Hamburg NY. Any wind 10k or greater from south, south west, or west is not good. Wind from the north east, north west no greater than 15k is doable pending on boat. any wind north is great great less than 15k. obviously less is best. Thats my opinion with my boat. You may have a deeper V than me and can brave more. Aslo east wind at crystal beach is a rough launch and retriev keep that in mind as well. Good luck be safe

I think asking this question means you should stay off the great Lakes!

I don't think it means that at all. How are you suppose to know when you've never been out On them. This site says this that site says that. It's time on the water n checking the wind then that will help u learn wind directions. Guys helping out on here is a good start though.

I agree with dax. So many people get injured and or die from just not knowing. Its safer to do your research and understand wind direction and when it turns. Then venture out and Gage it for your water craft and experience. I have been stuck out on Erie during a bad wind and I can teLl you it's very very very scary how fast and dangerous it gets. 8ft rollers are no joke. No fishing is worth your life.

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated. Although I am not new to boating, I am new to the offshore fishing in this area of Lake Erie. Before considering a trip I always check with various marine forecast sites and constantly monitor the VHF weather station. My boat is a 19 foot deep V that handles rough water well. The problem is that sometimes when on the lake, or on the way to the lake, I am hearing a different description then what I am experiencing. I am fully aware that winds coming across the lake from the west or south cause the major wave action in this area. I was not sure if winds from on shore can be just as troublesome depending on velocity of course and if there are any other influences such as the effect of the Niagara River that I should be aware of. In years of teaching firearms safety we always stipulated if you don't know or are unsure, just ask. That is what I am doing here., My question has been answered and again I thank you all very much.

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated. Although I am not new to boating, I am new to the offshore fishing in this area of Lake Erie. Before considering a trip I always check with various marine forecast sites and constantly monitor the VHF weather station. My boat is a 19 foot deep V that handles rough water well. The problem is that sometimes when on the lake, or on the way to the lake, I am hearing a different description then what I am experiencing. I am fully aware that winds coming across the lake from the west or south cause the major wave action in this area. I was not sure if winds from on shore can be just as troublesome depending on velocity of course and if there are any other influences such as the effect of the Niagara River that I should be aware of. In years of teaching firearms safety we always stipulated if you don't know or are unsure, just ask. That is what I am doing here., My question has been answered and again I thank you all very much.

Hey verado I guess the way you asked the original question made it seem like you had no idea. But I check sail flow and windfinder pro to see if they contridict each other. And then I drive down and take a look. Stronger the wind in any direction means you will be in some sort of waves. But don't let that stop you from fishing upper Niagara has so many wind breaks and you can do very well there. Thats why I don't worries if lake turns out shitty.

On thing I've always found is that if Erie is a write off, Ontario is most likely (but not always) good to go. If both are too windy/wavy, the upper or lower river will be your best bet. Failing that, the Welland river is always flat!

Archived