Walleye for everyone!

Dan Andrews

20160521_065419.jpg

So me and a buddy go for a paddle down the Welland River this morning and we see this under both the Woodlawn Rd and 406 Bridges. I'm not quite sure what this nimrod artist was trying to accomplish here but here's a post that it inspired. 

This waterway is full of walleye and I think you should all grab a kayak, canoe or boat of some kind and try for them. I personally picked a small team and for 2 years put thousands of walleye fry in here so I know what I'm talking about. Actually if it hadn't been for me these walleye would have never been stocked in this area at all. After the disease VHS made its appearance the MNR was going to end stocking of walleye in the Welland River until they found VHS at the headwaters or they proved it wouldn't have a nagative impact there. I stood up and said we need to continue stocking even if it meant stocking below the aquaducts which were fish barriers. The clubs had little else to do and we just found new blood for volunteers due to this program. They agreed it was a good idea so we continued taking fish from the Grand River for the hatcheries in Dunnville and Port Colborne and about 5000 hatching eggs/fry would go to the Fort Erie rearing pond each year. Port C and FE raised fish were then released in this section of the Welland River and to my knowledge still are srocking about 10,000 fry here each year. MNR certified VHS free hatchery walleye are being stocked upriver in Port Davidson. So now the Welland river is receiving about twice as many fish. 

Somebody on this end of the river doesn't like company. Well that is too bad Sir because we didn't stock these fish for a few we stocked them for everybody and that includes the people of Welland the surrounding area and tourists. This was not only meant to be a food source but a socio-economic program. If we get that river packed with boats targeting these walleye we can justify more stocking. A spot hog with tight lips only serves a selfish purpose. Good for you on your colour choices but you're still a degenerate vandal with no art skills and you've scarred the place not helped it. 

I hope these painting inspire others to go fishing. Please target the walleye here and enjoy the fishery without littering, spraying toxic paint over the water or taking more than your fair share. We didn't bring our rods today but this inspired me to come back and join the crowd. For the record we saw some nasty pollution and I really think if people were open about eating the fish here they may have to clean it up a bit. 

Tight lines and see.you on the river ;)

Wow maybe Cliff should change the pickerel for the site to that wicked NFN in 5 year old printing...... inspiration by local top notch artist. LoL

They were probably mad they didn't catch any pickerel there. Must have read a report that wasn't true?

LT 

I was there yesterday and saw that and was wondering what anyone can have against NFN. There's lots of pickerel in there thank to volunteers like you who have been stocking the Welland River for years. No luck with the pickerals yesterday but we did get a small 2 foot musky, 18" bowfin, a catfish. Passes the time while your looking for the pickerel.

It's a great place to fish, from shore, in a kayak and in a boat. All sorts of fish in there. the only problem with the river is the boat launch is getting to be to small need to expand it.

Where can an old man fish for Pickerel from shore. Please PM me if it is not appropriate to answer in the open forum. Thanks......................Daniel

Funny. Some blame NFN members for trashing places with litter etc.

What do they consider stupid graffiti ? Vandalizm.is what that is. Our members have learned here that trashing places takes fishing spots. Members are educated here by learning to respect places 

It isn't about trashing the places with litter, it is about the site in general (or any fishing site for that matter, however NFN is a local Niagara site).  There are plenty of lurkers whom hate the site but they come here for info.  This stems back to when there used to be actual reports where you would see stuff like BAILYS BRIDGE - SALMON ARE IN!  or GREEN RIBBON TRAIL ON FIRE WITH CRAPPIE, I know a few people who used the site for stalking purposes by reading the reports, but would never post f*** all, and one guy I know claims to have threatened people who talked about the site while fishing beside him.

There are enough nutters out there who think this site destroys fishing spots due to the additional attention given to them from posts.  Myself I would prefer to see more people fishing, since that means more licenses purchased, and potentially more MNR resources.  If you eliminated all game/fish style groups (that fishermen belong to, so more fishermen more volunteers) that do anything in their power to keep stocking up (salmon, walleye, trout, etc) you will not have much of a fishery, especially for some of the more prized species like walleye and salmon.

On May 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM, kerrybrian1 said:

Lol

NFN should have a get together there

Ha ha. That would be awesome to see 20-30 boats all fishing under that bridge. A friend of mine got a nice walleye under that bridge last weekend

Just curious what the go to lures/colours might be for fishing this water way.I will probably visit it in the near future but intend to bring the fly rod with me.Knowing what baits and colours help me to pick out fly patterns.I've managed to catch a few walleye on the fly but they were incidental catches.

Would like to take a crack at them with the fly...My personnel best is a 7lb Eye out of Lake Erie....

Thanks

Just a question? I sometimes PM other members it's not to keep anything a secret just as to not high jack the post. I wonder if others do the same? Maybe people see this and think we are trying to keep secrets. What do you think?

happy fishing ???????

Dave & Anna

1 hour ago, deetch said:

When it comes to "hotspots" and go to lures you can bet there will be a lot of PM's sent.

I'll take a few pm's with some hotspots and go to lures please!

Thanks dan for the stocking efforts.

Caught this last night. This is one of the larger eyes you could possibly catch, tho rare. the biggest I've seen was my at the time 4 year olds 31" walleye. Also if you do fish this waterway, put the larger ones back please!! This one obviously swam away

Sorry will not answer private pms in regard to this lol

received_10153468885141968_zps33fsgqv3.j

My own personal opinion about sharing info is that if someone shares with me in private I keep it private out of respect for them and there opinions on sharing. If I discover something on my own I will share it openly. I believe there are more than enough fish for everyone and if I can help someone who loves fishing as much as I do that's awesome. The more people how fish the more money and resources get put into it. I understand there are ignorant people who ruin things. But let's kill'em with kindness and lead by example 

good luck fishing ????

Dave & Anna

I'll be honest, I've never fished these waters for walleye. For one I eat walleye and that water is filthy but the stocking program has given the MNR a little more weight for fighting new pollution (Hey people are eating the fish). Secondly Lake Erie has a great walleye fishery and I live very close by. 

NFN used to be part of a problem I'll admit. It was where everyone would come to get fishing info because it was one of the few places to find it. We all know that one idiot weekend warrior who just has to giver and leaves a mess and we hate the fact he is even allowed to fish. 

Well now we have facebook and so many other sources of info. I find the people who still come here do so because they like talking fish and fishing. It's more of a community online get together site than a place to get that top secret info. The Gar Pike thread is awesome BTW! 

I just think disagreeing by painting public property and making the area look crappy is ironic and counter productive. In fact it just made me want to fish there and spread the news even more. For every action there is an equal action in the opposite direction so this topic is the reaction that's all. 

And man watch that aquaduct on the far end. We had a back flow that day but that thing would be evil when Hydro demands go up. 

Archived