FISH THEIVES

smerchly

The old saying , " there's lots of fish in the ocean" doesn't mean much sometimes ......My neighhbour came home from work to find 8 of his prized gold fish had been stolen from his backyard pond (with waterfalls) , leaving only the 3 largest fish ....  One of the fish was a special goldfish with extra large fins , given to him by a friend .  The culprit was seen flying away with a big grin , thanking him for the BIG meal   :thx: .......yep , it was a blue heron !!    

Over the years I've have seen a big change living here . I 've never had problems with birds or animals raiding my garden  (except a few neighbour's cats)   <_< !  Now I have every plant covered with chicken wire , netting or inverted wire baskets to keep them from the birds , rabbits , mice (rats) , possums, squirrels & the odd coons .  Just a guess , but it used to be fields and bush all around my house and is now all housing , etc. The wildlife seem to have "adapted" to the free food in the hood , from garbage , gardens and backyard fish ponds ....

Anyone have any suggestions how to keep the herons from raiding my neighbours pond ?  After all , there's plenty of fish in the lake ??  :dunno:    ......:)

I used to use a statue of a Blue Heron looking into my front yard pond. They seem to be a solotery  bird and if they think one is already there they leave that area

They had a dog ....napped a lot  lol ...

A statue may work , but I have seen a heron chase a heron from a productive spot , or it landed accidentally too close and scared it off .

I use 9" aluminum pie plates to help ward off birds from my young plants or stop squirrels from nesting in my apple  tree . They make lots of noise "when" the wind blows.

Maybe some garden netting over a frame would deter them from easy pickings.....

• 4 weeks later...

Put some pipe around the pond and tie monofilament line around them. The hereon will walk up to it and the line will stop it from bending over to nab the fish. Put boulders around your pond as the heron likes to land on a smooth area. Works for me

Archived