Sheepshead

Tommyboy

My Uncle used to eat them. I never tried them but I saw him cleaning them and the meat looked very white and firm.............................Daniel

They are supposed to be like cod I think. I have heard they are very good to eat when the water is cold, but once the water gets warm they are mushy and fishy tasting. 

32 minutes ago, kgm said:

They are supposed to be like cod I think. I have heard they are very good to eat when the water is cold, but once the water gets warm they are mushy and fishy tasting. 

Yep ....like suckers , in cold water not bad eating but lots of bones . The meat on drum is flaky & white and tastes like .....chicken !   lol 

I would prefer to eat small ones up to 3 -4 lbs . as I do with walleye .  Years ago ( like half a century) I came home with a small bass , perch & small 12" sheepshead , caught at Gate 12 (GM Glendale) ....fried them all up together  and thought the drum tasted a tad better than the perch .....the smallie was a little "fishy" .

my buddy and I got into a bunch while bass fishing one day . so we fillet them and took them back to the campsite . will when people came by and asked if we caught any fish we gave them some .latter when they came by they said it was the best fish they ever ate and asked me what kind they were. I said I wasn't sure that we caught a lot of different fish that outing . so they must be good .

1 hour ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

If people eat their fish deep fried, most couldn't tell the difference.

Yep .   If we knew how to prepare fish the way the Chinese do , we may soon learn that suckers , drum , carp etc. can be delicious . I think "size matters" though ,  even big walleye can be too tough & fishy tasting  . The main concern is the chemicals in fish ... I have eaten eels , done with a cold smoker & it was great . Sheepshead  tastes much like sucker meat .  All in all ....not much difference than chicken Mcnuggets or store bought fish "fingers"   :rolleyes:

....kabob minnows anyone ?   :wub:

My uncle loves them the meat is as white as can be he like them around 2 to 5 lbs we likes them way better than the walleye i don't know

how he cooks then but like smerch said if cooked right i bet they would taste good . Its the bass that i won't eat but love to catch them

I was hammering them on erie last weekend never thought about eating them now you guys got me wishing i kept a few lol 

5 hours ago, dave524 said:

chunk them up and boil them , dip in melted butter, taste just like lobster :D little of that catsup and horseradish dip too :rolleyes:

Shhhhhh. But Ling beats drum in that catigory. Not by much though. 

Archived