Tenkara

Bow Man

I have been fishing Tenkara little over a 2yrs now and find it to be a amazing way to fish small creeks and streams. The presentation of the fly is simply amazing, it is so easy to cast and place your fly any where you want with pin point accuracy.  The ability to simply just "pick up" the fly and place it where you want is a great benefit ( no false casting required ). This gives you the ability to fish and cover a area quickly and effectively.

Also the ability to fish in the tightest of spots, heavy cover and over hanging trees and brush. Tenkara will never replace my western style of fly fishing but has become another great tool / way to fly fish. I would suggest to any if they can or ever thought about trying Tenkara do so you will not be disappointed.

If anyone has questions please don't hesitate to ask.

tightlines

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 10:28 PM, PRO - P1KE 101 said:

Ive never tried it before but I find it very interesting  do they have different weights and lengths for various species similar to fly rods.

Yes they come in different lengths and actions/flex. They can typically be any where from around 8 feet up to 23 feet but 12 feet is the most common length, as far as action they come in at a rating of 5:5 which would be very similar to glass rods ( full flex ) 6 :4 medium/full  and 7:3 more tip flex of a feel.

I only use 5:5 and 6:4 rods in lengths of 10, 12, 14 feet.

It is a very effective way to fish, and a blast to fish.

Are the ones for larger fish like broom sticks? I'm not familiar with tenkara, but isn't it impossible for the fish to run, as the line is just attached to the rod tip?

Larger rods are still flexy, but have a lot of back bone, as far as the fixed line you can have as much line as you like if you use what they call level line ( you essential cut the line to the length you would like ), if you use furled leader I believe you can get them up to 20 feet long. Also you can add as much tippet as you like to extend the distance of the setup. The bigger rods are any where from 14 to 23 feet long, so with rod line and tippet you potentially can have 40 + feet of playable distance. At times you  ay have to move in order to "play" the fish.

Here is a great site with tons of great info for any one interested in tenkara:     http://www.tenkarabum.com/ 

Here is a video I saw, I am sure there are many more to show the ability of tenkara and carp.

Archived