Niagara underwater video

Jim K

Nice video Jim! I always enjoy your material.  

Looks like a lot of floating moss in the river. I hear its heavier this year than the past few years.

Excellent video !   Some real nice fish to see in that clear water . Lots of bait fish for them to eat ....but I didn't see any gobies ?  Thanks for the great video ....very well done !  :worthy:

12 hours ago, daler said:

Nice video Jim! I always enjoy your material.  

Looks like a lot of floating moss in the river. I hear its heavier this year than the past few years.

It grows on rocks  until it becomes too much, then the current tears it away.  They say it grows best in years with abundant sunlight. i would say this year fits the theory.

6 hours ago, smerchly said:

Excellent video !   Some real nice fish to see in that clear water . Lots of bait fish for them to eat ....but I didn't see any gobies ?  Thanks for the great video ....very well done !  :worthy:

All those little fish scurrying all over the bottom are juvenile gobies smerchly, They are all over rocky or weedy bottom areas. Millions of them this year

2 hours ago, Jim K said:

All those little fish scurrying all over the bottom are juvenile gobies smerchly, They are all over rocky or weedy bottom areas. Millions of them this year

That's a lot of gobies !   Have we changed the way we look at gobies since their invasion ? They have become a source of food (baitfish) for the game fish ( and perch) and certainly contribute to the increase size .  Looking forward to more of your vids Jim.

I caught the sturgeon with the spine curvature a few years back.  If it weren't for the fact that a quick photo is not allowed now, I'd post the pic.  But that fish has been around.  When I caught it, it was around the 15-17 lbs mark, and looks like it's doing fine still.  I heard one other account someone hooking that same fish last year.

Good stuff Jim, now are you going to tell me where you spotted that fat musky?!:P I can confirm the lack of bass, sightings anyways, while fishing musky this year. Usually they are everywhere, but have been catching more walleye than any other years.

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Sweet vid. Jim could you get some vid of the trout/salmon run this fall? Or is it harder to record them?

I have a few ideas, but so many of the rivers are turbid, and the lower river is so deep and quick. i think when I retire from the day job I'll make up something for the erie tribs. the Ontario tribs are so crowded, it would be tough there.

3 hours ago, rile said:

Good stuff Jim, now are you going to tell me where you spotted that fat musky?!:P I can confirm the lack of bass, sightings anyways, while fishing musky this year. Usually they are everywhere, but have been catching more walleye than any other years.

I made the mistake of naming a shipwreck that housed a lot of walleye in the Thousand Islands years ago. "A.E. Vickory, the walleye wreck" Next year there were none on the wreck, but I collected a half dozen jigging spoons off of it. Lesson Learned. 

We also don't often fish our dive drifts. don't want to beat up our photogenic fish, and it's pretty aggravating to know exactly whats down there, and not be able to get them to take. I also would feel fairly guilty cooking up a walleye that came to the lens and gave me a good look..

I was sort of thinking there might actually be a few more walleye around in some parts of the river, but just up slightly. not enough to really put it out there. 

Awesome Jim. Always enjoy your underwater videos.

Archived