Deer lake south river ontario

cplummer

Staying at pocono lodge. Such a beautiful place . Heard of huge pike smallies largies and jumbo perch on this lake. Out in boat tomorrow. Will report

Unreal smallie fishing. We landed 15 in 3 hours fishing. Many over 5 lbs . Broke a few off .. This plsce is amazing fishing. Average pike size here is 10 lbs but never targeted them. Too much fun smashing smallie.

Actually north of Muskoka in the Almaguin Highlands. I fished it once for a couple of hours and hit some beautiful smallies. They do have some big pike as well but we didn't get even one. This is my old stomping grounds and my hunt camp is another 15 minutes down the road on Maeck Lake. The South River has some HUGE pike in recent years but again I haven't fished it. The other smaller lakes east of the town of South River have some amazing speck and rainbow fishing as well. Sorry Cliff but I was away white water rafting this past weekend and didn't have cell service or I could have contacted a buddy or 10 from up there to give you some pointers, not that you needed them!

I've never fished deer lake but I have family from South River and have fished the South river and some smaller water in the area, there is some great multispecies fishing for sure. One of my most memorable days of fishing was a few year is ago up there when we fished 4 different bodies of water and caught specs, smallmouth, largemouth, pike and walleye on a single lure. Love it up there! 

On 7/18/2016 at 10:57 PM, cplummer said:

Deer lake is in south river in the Muskokas

Just a heads up Cliff. South River is not in the Muskokas. Anything North of Novar is in the Almaguin Highlands. :D:Gonefishing: .....................Daniel

OOPS Bubba14 already said that.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:08 PM, cplummer said:

Unreal smallie fishing. We landed 15 in 3 hours fishing. Many over 5 lbs . Broke a few off .. This plsce is amazing fishing. Average pike size here is 10 lbs but never targeted them. Too much fun smashing smallie.

I would like to see pictures of those 5lbers..and 10lb pike average sounds awesome I wanna go lol

• 3 years later...

I think there are plenty of fish stories going on here! I own a cottage on Deer Lake and have been going there for close to 40 years and have fished it an awful lot. Just got back from fishing yesterday. Species I have personally caught in Deer Lake are pike, small mouth bass, walleye, perch and sunfish. Have never caught a single large mouth and the walleye just showed up about 10 years ago and are flourishing. I have not caught a single perch in over 10 years. It is not an easy lake to pull fish out of! I have used various Rapala lures and various spinner baits as well as various spoons, also Bush Wackers and all kinds of Power Bait and jigs. I forgot to mention I have tried many surface lures as well. I have used worms, leeches and minnows too. I have fished from sun up to night and have even tried night fishing. My tackle boxes must contain close to 200 lures or more so I have tried many lures as well as colors. The thing that worked best was the old Powerbait but the new limits two people fishing to about a dozen fish landed in a day (8 hours) while fishing out of a fishing boat.

The lake was used heavily for moving logs a hundred years ago and there was a sawmill on the lake so the bottom of the lake has quite a few logs and tons of rotted bark which combined with the water feeding from beaver dammed creeks makes the water color brown and not that clear. There are plenty of dead spots in the lake with only a few areas with decent weed beds but small lily pads are plentiful.

The stomachs of the fish I have caught often contain crayfish and various small fish.

You guys that are saying you are catching a ton of fish and that the average pike is 10 pounds need to back up and be a little more specific. "We landed 15 fish in 3 hrs" was said. How many were fishing and were you just using worms and catching little fish? It was also said that the average pike is 10 pounds but you did not target them so then how would you know that cplummer?

If someone has a lure that works great then let me know what you used. I used to have good luck with a Mepps #3 yellow with black dots but they don't seem to do to well over the last 10 or 12 years.

I have fished lakes where I was pulling a pike out or getting a hit every other cast and able to catch and release over 100 or more bass/pike/perch in a day of fishing. I have fished a lake not far from Deer lake where I took my sons when they were little and could not keep up baiting and taking bass off our three rods with constant triple headers.

Good luck fishing!

And welcome to NFN Davey !   That was quite a first post !  You seem to know that area very well . I have fished much of Ontario , but haven't any knowledge on south River/ Deer Lake ......but had a friend who had a small cottage on Eagle Lake where we fished a few times from a canoe and caught a few small rainbows  .   That was a looooong time ago , things change, different species get introduced  (sometimes pike take over a lake)  . We have seen big changes with Lake Ontario/Erie changes over the years .....Good Fishing  :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the welcome smerchly. I have fished Eagle lake a few times as well. Has some great rocky areas. They introduced splake into Deer lake 40-50 years ago but they did not take. I don't think Deer Lake has enough depth to handle the trout but it would be fun if it could! Ever fish Nosbonsing?

Yes fished Nos. many years ago .....good pickerel (walleye) fishing at the mouth ,and some decent pike in the shallower spots . a neighbour  (Bill Wilson -rip) had a cottage there ....a great spot for eyes !

I have found Nosbonsing to be one of the healthiest lakes I have ever seen. The weed growth is incredibly varied and so healthy. I have seen more species of plant life there more than any other lake I have fished in. The lake is full of many species of fish including monster musky.

A little fish story for you, about 15 years ago I was trolling (don't normally like to troll much just charging the batteries) in Nosbonsing with my brother who knows the lake very well. He warned me to keep a close eye on the rods as we were coming up to the edge of a weed bed. I suddenly had something on my rod. I jumped up grabbed my rod and a 21 inch pike hit the surface, this was shortly followed by a very large splash and a very hard pull on my line pulling hard on my drag for about 10 seconds then no fight but dead weight. I figured the pike got caught in the weeds. I drew my line in and yes found a big bunch of weeds wrapped all around the pike but the interesting thing was the pike was dead and it was slit open from gills to tail with all its insides hanging out. Must have been a pretty decent size fish that was able to take it that deep in its mouth for me to pull it out and slit it wide open. I figure it was another big pike since pike have more blade shaped teeth and musky have teeth shaped more like a cat's teeth or round shape. The one that got away!

Archived